Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is breaking a base considered 'play'?

I assume this means you can't discard this after drawing more than 10, and then get it back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is on the board, it is in play.

Discarding from your hand is not in play. Also, if it was, your idea is illogical. You have to discard down to 10, so discarding it would put it back, and you would then have to discard again to get back down to 10. Infinite discarding of the same card? Probably why they kept it to in play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
posterchild21 wrote:

Discarding from your hand is not in play. Also, if it was, your idea is illogical. You have to discard down to 10, so discarding it would put it back, and you would then have to discard again to get back down to 10. Infinite discarding of the same card? Probably why they kept it to in play!

Ok, so if a base breaks, you get it back. I wasn't certain about that.

From your interpretation, if, for example, you need to discard cards from your hand due to an effect ( tricksters, for example) you would not get it back, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
posterchild21 wrote:

From your interpretation, if, for example, you need to discard cards from your hand due to an effect ( tricksters, for example) you would not get it back, correct?

Correct. Also, if it gets discarded from the deck by Spies you do not get it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
posterchild21 wrote:
MrMT wrote:
posterchild21 wrote:

Correct. Also, if it gets discarded from the deck by Spies you do not get it back.

OK. Well, that's consistent.

That said, I could also envisage an interpretation whereby tricksters affecting your cards for discard are considered 'play'.

Your interpretation feels correct, but is there anything in the rules on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon MacDonald

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
It used to be able to return to your hand if it came FROM your hand. So it was used to satisfy a LOT of card destruction Tricksters Actions and reaching your hand limit. I'm glad the "In play" was added, stating it only returned to your hand when removed (by either scoring or being destroyed) from a base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin OKeefe
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you get Jumper back after the base scores as well? That makes the card at least twice as good as First Mate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
RutgersKev wrote:
So you get Jumper back after the base scores as well? That makes the card at least twice as good as First Mate.

Are you taking into account other player's tendency to target First Mate religiously when you say that? When you remove that factor from the equation First Mate far far outshines Jumper. The issue is Time Travelers aren't very good at multi-minion plays so having a handful of weak minions is not terribly desirable for them and often I find that I don't really find I have the plays to use that many jumpers. In fact the only time I find Jumpers to be really really good is when teamed up with Plants and you get Blossom (play 3 extra minions with the same name). In combination with TT's ability to recover actions from their discard I think I played about 11 Jumpers this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin OKeefe
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
RutgersKev wrote:

Are you taking into account other player's tendency to target First Mate religiously when you say that?

Exactly. First Mates get removed and they are gone. Jumpers can never be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
RutgersKev wrote:

Exactly. First Mates get removed and they are gone. Jumpers can never be removed.

Yeah but it goes back to your hand, it doesn't stay in play. Like I said above Time Travelers don't have many multi-minion plays so having a handful of weak minions isn't that great for them unless their linked faction can do multi-minion plays very well or the Homeworld appears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.