Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cincinnati Kid
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 4 of revised rules says "It only matters where a ships (sic) ends movement, two enemy ships cannot meet half way"

However, the example in "V. Conquest Stage", page 8, has Blue moving in the direction of "6", and then in the direction of "1" (Bullet C.), and then engaging in combat with Red apparently half way through his move.

So does this contradict the rule on page 4 above ? please advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to dig out the rules for this example, but no ships are to be in combat mid move.

Imagine each her as being a fairly large solar system, and turns taking several weeks (if not months). Each movement makes it possible for multiple ships to pass through a hex without meeting, because they arrived there at different times. This would be negated if everyone resolved move 1 simultaneously, then move 2 simultaneously, etc, but that's not how movement is resolved. Instead, everyone resolves all movement simultaneously. They are all at the start location at the same time, and the final destination at the same time - in between is different ships moving at different speeds in different directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cincinnati Kid
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, that makes sense. I write this because the designer did not address this question in a previous rules post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules need some cleanup. There are a few somewhat important clarifications needed, and crowdsourcing rules clarifications / writeups could have fixed these. After taking a beating from the first and revised editions, they're moving towards getting them perfected in the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dhm zeug
Germany
Paderborn
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

there is an updated version (rev2) of the rules for the revised edition provided by the co-designer:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96677/revised-edition_rule...
The conquest stage example has been corrected to match the rules you cited from page 4.

The designer clarified this issue in the official FAQ thread here on BGG (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/931452/official-faq):

Mythoughts wrote:
Thanks for your post! Much needed answers found there within. I have one question however I hope you can clear up for me:

You said in a previous QnA that "it is possible to move through a hex with enemy players". I need a bit more clarification than that if possible:

Lets say I have a fusion drive and intend to move 2 hexes. I jump one jump and on that hex there are enemy ships.

1. Do you move past them until you reach your end destination, or do you fight them because you happened to meet them in space?

2. IF you are supposed to fight them (that is move phase > resolve space conflict phase), your move is done for that round, even though you jumped once of two possible jumps, correct?

Thanks in advance. Great game btw!

anovac wrote:
Mythoughts wrote:

1. Do you move past them until you reach your end destination, or do you fight them because you happened to meet them in space?

Quoting from the rules (page 6): "it only matters where a ship ends its movement"

So no need to worry where the ships are passing through, just where they end up. The movement tokens are all executed, without interruptions. Fighting occurs only when ships meet after all movement tokens are executed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.