11 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick Omnitron question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat George
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked this up and played our first two games. Second one was vs Omnitron and I want to make sure we were playing right b/c we felt he was much harder than the listed "difficulty 1" and I want to make sure it's not b/c we were playing him wrong (game summary: played with 5 heroes, two died, rest of us were left with around 5HP when we won).

Start on Factory side. Start of turn: Flip to other side. Play card from top of deck (standard villain turn phase). End of turn: Play another card from top of deck.

Next turn flip back to factory side. Play card from top of deck (standard villain turn phase). End of turn: Get random device/equipment from trash.

On both sides we always resolved the "end of turn" text from the drones we ended up drawing (which I've confirmed in other posts here is correct to do).

So typically he's playing two cards every turn. On one side it's two cards from his deck. On the other card it's one card from deck, one from trash (if available).

Is that right?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Sounds like you were doing it right.

Omnitron's rated difficulty 1 because, despite playing 2 cards per turn, a lot of its cards are fairly weak, especially in terms of damage output, and several don't do anything until the start of the villain turn (giving you time to destroy them). Its Components also blow up as a reward for you doing something you already wanted to do anyhow: beating up Omnitron. Even when it gains the upper hand, it has less damage output than most villains, so it doesn't finish you off quickly and gives you time to recover.

That being said, it destroys Ongoing/Equipment cards very efficiently, and if Electro-Pulse Explosive pops out when you're not ready to deal with it you're in big trouble. It's definitely on the easy side, but it's not entirely toothless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
One thing that might make a difference, it's not bringing back any devices, just Drones and Components. The main thing this means is that Electro-Pulse Explosives, once destroyed don't come back until you reshuffle the deck. That caused us immense pain until we realised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think Omnitron should have been rated a "2" while Citizen Dawn should have been rated the other "1" from the base set. The electro-pulse explosives can be really powerful...especially if two happen to come up in the same turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat George
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation, everyone.

Admittedly we got off to a rough start. He pulled a drone on turn 1 (starts with H HP and does x dmg where x = current HP at end of turn) so right off the bat he hits for 5. Then turn 2 after we all put out equipment to get started and he pulls another drone and the one that gets rid of all equipment. So another 10 HP and we're all back to square one on turn 2. cry

We were all very excited when around turn four or five we finally did 1 damage to Omnitron himself. Only 99 more to go.

After we finally beat our first Electro-Pulse Explosive we did groan thinking it might come back but luckily we re-read the Omnitron card and celebrated.

Just to say it - we all loved the game. My six year old was playing as Ra (with help from all of us) and he was giddy from the damage he was doing. He went to sleep with a grin on his face. Can't wait to play again...and pick up Rook City & Infernal Relics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Personally I think Omnitron should have been rated a "2" while Citizen Dawn should have been rated the other "1" from the base set. The electro-pulse explosives can be really powerful...especially if two happen to come up in the same turn...

I must suck at fighting Dawn then... I've lost to her more times than the difficulty 4 villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

I must suck at fighting Dawn then... I've lost to her more times than the difficulty 4 villains.

Or maybe I'm just lucky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the automation drone can be nasty - I actually try not to kill them, and leave them sitting around at 1 HP for a while - if you do that they are relatively toothless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn's generally quite difficult, so after I'd shown some newcomers the game using Baron Blade and they were scoffing at how easy it was, I pulled out Dawn to set them straight.

Visionary used Brain Burn to bury a bunch of citizens so Dawn never flipped and Dawn never got a Devastating Aurora. The players were like, "That's all you got?"

When challenged to show people a hard fight, I now bring out Iron Legacy, if I can, or The Matriarch if Iron Legacy isn't available. If only the base game is available, I'll show them Voss on advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Environment is important! We lost three times in a row vs Omnitron in Rook City. Rook City has two different cards that forces you play villain cards out of turn (and extra plays of environment cards, which can play cards that force you to play villain cards out of turn . . . ). Electropulse Device is very dangerous this way . . . And we got hit with both Sedative Flechettes and Electropulse Device in one turn this way. Ouchie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you posted about this, Pat. I was just coming here about that very question. I was playing it the opposite way, only one draw per turn, and thought it was a bit suspicious that Omnitron was so easy. I know it's meant to be a relatively easy villain, but it was never any threat to my heroes. That didn't seem right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.