Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an opportunity to get the Dutch version of either of these games, the seller has told me Desert is language independent, so I want to know:

Are they really language independent? Is there something that will bother me while playing if I don't know the language (assuming I have the English Rulebook)?

Is either of them MORE language independent than the other? Why?

Thanks for your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the abilities memorized then yes Forbidden Island is language independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should't be any problem with both games.
For both you'll have to know the character anilities. These are not too comlicated and easy to remember. Maybe write a small cheat sheet for your gamers.
In FI there are only three cards with text in the deck:
-Flooding
-Helicopter
-Sandbags
The functions are easy to memorize. Or just make another little sheet for them.

In FD there are only two cards with text in the storm deck, and both are pretty easy to memorize.

Hmmm... the only thing that'd make FD a bit more complicated are the 6 different equipment cards. While their functions are pretty obvious there are some notes about when they can be played, and these are slightly different on some cards.

But I really think all that can be handled with a simple cheat sheet (or a player that just knows the rules).

Sheet for FI:
6 character abilities
3 card effects

Sheet for FD:
6 character abilities
2 card effects
6 euqipment cards

My recommendation:
Buy both
Both are great games!

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.