Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love to have a pirate themed game in my collection, but I'm not sure what would be a good one for my group, and I haven't really settled on anything.

We'd be looking for:

- About as easy yet deep as Cosmic Encounter. Maybe a little more puzzle-y.
-Give a decent pirate theme / historical nautical
- A bit of "take" that, which can be recovered from, and some lighthearted bits of pirate life.
-some concern over length not longer than 2.5 hours.
- The game should play really well at 3.
- It'd be a plus if the game could handle 2 (and well). We sometimes have 5 people.

I've looked into these games a little:

Jamaica - The race idea doesn't look good even with the innovative phases. We have Firefly: The Game and it was a dud. Part of the issue was run away leader and unbalanced cards. The game is pretty though.

Merchants & Marauders - The major issue here is the length and the PvP - which as I understand it can be used to destroy another player. The nice thing about cosmic, is that everyone understands a backstab doesn't always preclude further deals. In this the "wager" seems much higher.

Libertalia- the game seems expensive for what it is. Citadels went over well, but we're not really looking for a reskinned Citadels. Tempting though. Similar issue with Dread Curse but, the game seems even less well done.

Scalawag! - game has been panned by reviewers it seems. Really wanted to like this / still trying to see what the story is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jamaica is very good and very nicely produced. However, if the race is putting you off (not sure why!), then another to consider would be PIRATE'S COVE. (Shouldn't that really be Pirates' and not Pirate's?) I've not played it and it does divide opinion, but it would be worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I really wouldn't say there is no way to recover in Merchants and Marauders but it can be tough. The length can be an issue but its such a great game I hardly notice it. I can see how some would not like it with 2 players but I would play it with any number, even solo ... its that great!

Even if you don't purchase it you've got to seek it out and play it somewhere, at least once ... of course ... if you do, you may be hooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto von Whackjob
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group played Pirate's Cove and it was a disaster. I can't recommend it unless your view of being a pirate is hunkering down on a remote island in fear of your ship being blown apart by some random freak encounter.

Dread Curse is a super fantastic competitive game that takes 3-45 minutes. It's easy to learn and easy to get into character. While it's not an exploring game like M&M, you do get to experience what it's like to slit your neighbor's thr-coinbag open, take his gold, and leave him with the spot (wink). IMHO, one of the better done pirate games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ingulphus wrote:
Jamaica is very good and very nicely produced. However, if the race is putting you off (not sure why!), then another to consider would be PIRATE'S COVE. (Shouldn't that really be Pirates' and not Pirate's?) I've not played it and it does divide opinion, but it would be worth considering.

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't heard of that one before. The issue that I see with Jamaica (and this could be just my imagination) is that it seems like the leader can run away with things without a lot of PvP control (also Mandi seems really overpowered). This was the issue with Firefly which was a wonky kind of nonlinear race.

In general, we like games where you can build an engine up, or fortify your position, or get better at something as the game progresses This isn't the kind of thing a race game usually offers (the exception being Lewis & Clark) I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate's Cove has stellar components, and can be fun upgrading your ship and attacking other players, but is more of a family game due to the high luck factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Libertalia a lot, although in my opinion the game shines more with 4+ players than with 3. It doesn't really have that much in common with Citadels. I think the mechanic where everyone gets the same cards but might not play them in the same campaign is great.

You might also want to have a look at Pirates of Nassau, which I find to be a very enjoyable pirate game. Not too light, but more playable than M&M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertalia I didn't like. I am a big fan of Jamaica. There is not a real run away leader problem, as the game forces you back if you go to speedy (you run out of coins/food and have to return places back).

Also, I've been in games in which the player who 'won' the race, didn't win the game. I think Jamaica is one of the games that I played most, given it's length. (I mean, games like coup/crokinole take much shorter and therefore I play more often).

Merchants & Marauders has a LOT going for it. I haven't played it with the 1 action per turn house-rule. I might like that better. Otherwise, the downtime in this game gets to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Otto von Whackjob wrote:
My group played Pirate's Cove and it was a disaster. I can't recommend it unless your view of being a pirate is hunkering down on a remote island in fear of your ship being blown apart by some random freak encounter.

Dread Curse is a super fantastic competitive game that takes 3-45 minutes. It's easy to learn and easy to get into character. While it's not an exploring game like M&M, you do get to experience what it's like to slit your neighbor's thr-coinbag open, take his gold, and leave him with the spot (wink). IMHO, one of the better done pirate games.

The main thing that turned me off of Dread Curse was this SU&SD podcast:

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcast/episode/podcast-10-p...

Basically, they say that the spot doesn't get to be a huge factor and that the game didn't quite seem clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game Knight wrote:
I like Libertalia a lot, although in my opinion the game shines more with 4+ players than with 3. It doesn't really have that much in common with Citadels. I think the mechanic where everyone gets the same cards but might not play them in the same campaign is great.

I forgot about the starting hands of cards! You're totally right, it's a great mechanic. Anyway, I was parroting another opinion (SU&SD review I think) to some extent, but Citadels and Libertalia both have that element of figuring out what everyone else will play.

The only other slight ding for Libertalia is that there's no real movement or stuff that has to do with ships (a pirate's best part if you ask me).

And while Not a ding on theme (I think Libertalia makes everyone feel sneaky) I don't really feel the salt spray in my face. I think the theme fits… but, it could also be about a space exploring crew that is just coming out of cryosleep, and everyone's racing to get to the space lifeboats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders end of story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Allaby
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Libertalia is an excellent game. Although as mentioned you do miss out on some of the more swashbuckling aspects of being a pirate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Pirates vs. Dinosaurs. Plays 2-6, I believe, but works best at around 3-4. It isn't like Merchants and Marauders where you sail around encountering things, but rather it's about scouring an island for buried treasure. The twist being, it's full of dinosaurs. You begin the game by assembling a crew and outfitting them, then you go around the island looking for landmarks to find the dig site (While throwing "take that" cards at your opponents to slow them down), and then you grab treasure blindly out of a bag for as long as you can before the island sinks.

It's a really neat, consistent game. It doesn't suffer from long turns like M&M does, and PvP is there, but it isn't as simple as you trying to hinder someone else. You're putting your own crew members on the line in order to reduce another player's crew. It's not as grand in scope as other pirate games, but it does the buried treasure hunt very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:
I would love to have a pirate themed game in my collection, but I'm not sure what would be a good one for my group, and I haven't really settled on anything.

We'd be looking for:

- A bit of "take" that, which can be recovered from, and some lighthearted bits of pirate life.
- It'd be a plus if the game could handle 2 (and well). We sometimes have 5 people.

Blackbeard pretty much meets your criteria above. Excellent theme/history, deep play, about 2 hours long, plays great with 2 or 3 players, but I wouldn't play it with 5 even though it can handle up to 5 players. The rulebook is a bit rough to get through but once you do, it is a fun game. there are living rule updates from GMT and other files here on the Geek to help with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dread Curse is a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Jolly Roger that!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Second that opinion. Nothing to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:

We'd be looking for:

Jamaica - The race idea doesn't look good even with the innovative phases. We have Firefly: The Game and it was a dud. Part of the issue was run away leader and unbalanced cards. The game is pretty though.

Merchants & Marauders - The major issue here is the length and the PvP - which as I understand it can be used to destroy another player. The nice thing about cosmic, is that everyone understands a backstab doesn't always preclude further deals. In this the "wager" seems much higher.

Libertalia- the game seems expensive for what it is. Citadels went over well, but we're not really looking for a reskinned Citadels. Tempting though. Similar issue with Dread Curse but, the game seems even less well done.

Scalawag! - game has been panned by reviewers it seems. Really wanted to like this / still trying to see what the story is.

A: Is cosmic encounter "deep"?
B: I don't understand the similarities between Jamaica and Firefly
C: I don't understand the similarity between Libertalia and Dread Curse

Anyway, the best that you listed is probably M&M. Your concerns about it are valid but it's the one that has the most of what you want. I don't think Francis Drake will really scratch your itch either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Stargazer1x wrote:
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:

We'd be looking for:

Blackbeard pretty much meets your criteria above. Excellent theme/history, deep play, about 2 hours long, plays great with 2 or 3 players, but I wouldn't play it with 5 even though it can handle up to 5 players. The rulebook is a bit rough to get through but once you do, it is a fun game. there are living rule updates from GMT and other files here on the Geek to help with the rules.

I prefer the Avalon Hill version, but Blackbeard the best pirate game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look at Privateer, which was successfully funded on Kickstarter several months ago but hasn't yet been released. Looks like you can still pre-order the Kickstarter version off of their website. I've never played M&M, but from what I've read about it, Privateer seems like a streamlined version of it.

I had pledged for it, but eventually canceled my pledge since I already owned Libertalia and Francis Drake (which scratches the pirate itch for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:

We'd be looking for:

I own Merchant and Marauders and Libertalia. Both very fun games: M+M iis a bit more of an 'event' as a game, it has a real sense of narrative bbut takes a fair whack of time. In terms of catch-up, there are definitely opportunities to play for higher risk/reward if you fall behind.

Libertalia was an absolute hit with me and my group: quick to get into, quick to play and very enjoyable. In terms of the Citadels comparison, I'd say it has some similarities but is much better: we used to play Citadels a fair bit, and the box has been collecting dust since we got Lbiertalia. Even the guy who always suggested Citadels now prefers Libertalia. It has the good sides without the irritating aspects (players missing several goes or falling far behind through fluke, general slowness)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also when you get M&M make sure to download the FAQ and use the "aggressive variant" offered by the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bailey
United States
Morrow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a lighter-fare pirate-themed game from Queen Games coming out in a few months called Tortuga. You may want to look into that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jamaica meets your requirements best. M&M has a bit too much going on to match up to your description (and is definitely too long). You might also like Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:
I think Jamaica meets your requirements best. M&M has a bit too much going on to match up to your description (and is definitely too long). You might also like Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas.

Pirate dice is so boring. Jamaica would be a better choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.