Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this happened...

I went down to Paladin's Place today, carpooling with Orange Devil and this was in fact my first meatspace tournament. So I dumped the kid on the wife, paid up the nose for travel and ended up in a neighbouring city to get some good competition. (Because Frankfurt might have 750k permanent residents but apparently a FLGS is too much to ask for...)

I knew for a while wanted I wanted to play with, and it was to go down with my jankiest, weidest and most unexpected decks I am currently running with. Decks which have been playtested and tweaked significantly in the past few months and apparently are good enough that they've managed to float me to the second position of the BGG League and keep me there ever since, only losing 1 game out of 20. So I knew there is potential there.

So first to the decklists

Runner: Exile - "Homeless Kasparov"

Corp: Jinteki:Replicating Perfection - "Untrashable"

The decks and strategy are almost identical to what you see in the above decklists, with two small changes. Jinteki had a Braintrust instead of NAPD (since DT is not out yet) and Exile had an Escher instead of a Dirty Laundry.

I'm going to try and post some reports about my games as much as memory permits

We played 4 rounds of Swiss.

Round 1:

Corp: I start with Corp. This was my first game and I have very little recollection of it, other that it was generally uneventful. Opponent was playing a dig-deep Kate with Mediums AND R&D Interfaces, but is taking so much damage trying to stop my accelerating economy that he's significantly delayed. Once I realize just how much R&D dig potential he has, I trash a sundew+ash combo by playing a PAD on top of them, and then use interns to move Ash to R&D. With a cost of about 7 to run R&D and a hokusai plus a 6 to trash Ash, I think he managed to get a single 3-cards peek in there which wasn't enough.

Runner: I face off against a trappy Haas-Bioroid. We both decide to build a bit instead of trying to score. My opponent was running a lot of traps which he was planning to Fast advance via tricks of light. Unfortunately I made some quite bad decisions this game, one of which costed my my sheherazade with a half-Imp and my Atman to an Aggro secretary, and the other led me to eat a 3-adv Cerebral, as well as a rototurret which wiped my second sheherazade along with sneakdoor. Fortunately my opponent was not willing to risk their agendas in the remotes so having wiped his traps with my face, they were stuck in their hand. A few runs with sneakdoor and Indexing and I managed to snipe 6 points to his 2. Unfortunately time was called before the game could be won so I ended up with only 3 for that round.

Round 2:

I go up against Joshua, another person I know from Frankfurt who's played my decks before, but fortunately he's more intimidated by them because of it.

Corp: I win the random chance again and decide to go with Corp once more. Joshua is playing Chaos Theory. I get a pretty solid econ quickly while is trying to build as fast as possible, being hampered by missing both Magnum Opus as well as Prof. Contacts. I remember a lot of clicking for credits after trashing some of my initial econ which I didn't mind. In the end I accelerated just too much for him to catch up.

Runner: I go against HB again but memory fails me. I can't remember muc from what happened in that game. Maybe it'll come back to me.

Round 3:

This time I lose the random so I end up as a Runner first. My opponent is playing a fast-advance NBN and things are not looking that good for me. Initial even is corp playing a breaking news behind an enigma, then on the first opportunity scores it and trashed my Æsop. Normally that would have significantly slowed me down, but as it happened, I had already drawn a second Æsop and decided to keep him in my hand. Nevertheless, even though I'm putting significant pressure, the corp has both money and has astrochained twice, and now just missing the last astro or beale to win. I get my pawn combo off and start to get significant economic advantage and pressure, but he is closing off R&D and I'm sweating that it won't be enough, especially since I managed to score just a single breaking news until now. Really frustrating moment when I index and see 0 agendas, even though he'd cleared them before from his HQ with jackson to avoid me stealing them.

I have a second indexing and am just preparing to repeat the procedure while he's slowing making money. Once he draws the last of the 5, I index again on the second click and he decides to rez an Ichi 2.0 which is bad. I tutor my sharpshooter and see...4 agendas! I shortly consider just going all in through Ichi and losing everything I have, but unfortunately I'm still at only 1 point, so 4 more points wouldn't do it. Si I put Astroscript - Market Research - Market Research - Beale - Enigma on R&D, hoping to grab them from HQ instead. I clone chip my sharpshooter again and grab the astro. Unfortunately he has a Jackson in hand, and managed to shuffle 2 of those agendas to R&D again. I force him to use jackson then run HQ and nab the Market Research. Now we're 5 to 5 and I'm still sweating he'll top-deck The Beale.

Next turn I see him pull 3 cards in one turn, I decide there is a very big chance another agenda is in there, so I play an Imp and run HQ, thinking I have a pretty good chance to snipe it, and I actually do snipe the Beale he just pulled in giving me a 7-5 victory.

Corporation: I face against Kate again but there's no great plays happening but it's fairly close, especially after I snipe his corroder first thing and it takes him a while to recover it and he gets an Imp first turn, which manages to efficiently destroy my early econ. I do remember at one point however that he's at 6 points, having sniped 2 Fetals and a Nisei v2, and I'm at 5 and have just played an advanced an agenda there's no way he can grap as it's being protected by Ash/Hokusai and Wall of Thorns. So he takes 6 credits and runs my R&D glacier, which takes all his credits, as well as 3 his last 3 cards through net damage to get through. He's got an RDI and I'm really afraid he'll grab one from R&D, so I use both of my Jacksons to pad up my R&D with pain and he pulls a shock first card.Second card wasn't an agenda either

Round 4:

By this point I'm currently at the top, not having lost a single game, while both my opponent and Orange Devil lost their corporation games against each other. It seems OD didn't have as good strength of schedule so I get to play the other top player. I win the random chance and decide to start Jinteki.

Corporation: I face off against Chaos Theory and I suspect shenanigans, My starting hand contains a braintrust (I hate having that in my HQ) which I'd rather not lose, so I decide to prioritize HQ in case I get siphoned. So I Hokusai HQ and then play a PAD and a Encryption Protocol. As I feared, opponent Siphons me first thing, which is not bad because I get to smack him for 1 and rez my PAD as well. Opponent randomly pulls my braintrust 1 in 3. Augh!

Next turn I put some Yagura on R&D and another ICE on HQ which he didn't bother to run, and we both start racing to build-up. I start aggressively drawing and get more encyption protocols and a Ronin which I play naked, but no more econ, so my progress is very slow and I'm drawing dangerous agendas. I decide to play my Chimera to prepare my Sundew server. At that point my opponent decides to Test Run his Opus and use it twice. So now I know he's going to save that money to replay that MO, so I believe I have a small window of opportunity, and I play a Nisei under the Chimera even though that would wreck my econ out if I have to rez her. Fortunately my opponent does not want to risk losing his MO funds and having to click for creds, so he ignores it and I get an early Nisei.

Soon after I get my sundew in my Chimera server and start preparing my scoring remote with a Wall of Thorns and an Ash behind it. Opponent does not take the bait and continues building, playing a Femme and blind-targeting an ICE which turns out to be my Tsurugi, which laughs at Femmes as he soon discovers. My opponent is being much more aggressive which helps him a bit but also hurts him as he keeps running my HQ. This means Hokusai and shocks keeps pinging him but he also scores one more Fetal AI. Unfortunately for him all that damage take away all his nasty events, specifically 2 makers eyes. 1 indexing and 1 Siphon that I remember, making my R&D much more secure.

He decides to just start runnning R&D for one card which is fine by me since it costs him 8 credits per run. Nevertheless, his econ is very solid so it's very tricky to get score anything. I start advancing my Ronin naked hoping to make him waste some clicks while I wait for an opportunity to score. At some point he decides to trash my lone jackson which costs him about 10 credits as he runs HQ and then Jackson protected by 3 encryptions. I suspected he wanted to follow up with an Indexing, so I interns my Jackson and play my Executive Retreat now that I feel he's too poor to go for it. He lets me have it while building up again.

He keeps building up for what I suspect is a nasty run, so I pull 5 cards to my hand from executive, play a Nisei in my remote and advance it once while he's at low money. He decides to stimhack in, and unfortunately my early weak econ means I don't have enough to stop him with Ash. Next turn I play my Fetal AI and advance my Ronin to 4, thinking I can put him down in cards enough next turn to score the fetal. He doesn't want to risk it so he runs HQ with 6 cards at click 3 and eats a snare. With only one click remaining he decides to brave the ronin, he sees and trashes it to avoid the damage. Next turn I follow up with a closed accounts, killing about 12 credits he had banked and advancing my Fetal Twice. Not being able to do anything else for that turn, he tries to build up but it's too late and I score my Fetal for the win.

Runner: Again I face an NBN which I suspect is a Fast Advance. My early hand contains 2 pawns, 1 deep red, 1 Daily Casts and 1 Imp. Even though I don't have either an Æsop or a Shehe, I decide to keep in case he decides to leave HQ or R&D open. Unfortunately he doesn't closing both off with ICE and playing a sweep week. So instead of risking it, I decide to build up first turn, draw a Armitage and play that and my Dailies. We both continue building for a while and manages to sneak in a Beale in a remote which I thought would be a Sansan instead. Oh well at least it wasn't an Astro.

I start applying pressure but I'm not getting an Æsop. However I get my pawn combo very quickly so I decide to go for that and start abusing it to draw cards and money. I get a Sneakdoor down and manage to score a Beale and a Breaking News I think. He sets up a remote which I run prepared and manage to avoid Grim catastophy via sharpshooter. This lets him score his first Astro. I follow up by playing my Gordian, another pawn and start passing his R&D Enigma along with Imp, wrecking some havoc without cost. Unfortunately I fuck up and forget to use BP credits here so I lose some money, only remembering a few turns later.

As I prepare for indexing, he trashes Enigma, from which I stupidly forgot to remove one pawn, wiping my combo in one click and replaces it with an unknown ICE.

I Escher into his HQ which is protected by 2 pop-ups and put the one pop-up into his R&D and the unknown ICE into HQ. I run to trash his naked jackson, and he uses it to get some more econ (he had tons until then) Finally, I follow up with Indexing which unfortunately give me a simple Breaking News, which is not enough to win.

I prepare for a follow up Indexing by making money and playing a Same Old Thing, while he tried to find some ICE to defend himself. He again trashes the pop-up in R&D and replaces it with unknown ICE.

My econ is ready however so I simply SOT-indexing, clone chip-Femme his Tollbooth and see the Astro for the win.

Final Score: 8-0.

Final Thoughts: These decks, under the hands of a pilot who's been trained with them can work very well, especially because most people just do not know how to deal with them, and do not have the relevant meta cards to cause issues.

While Fast Advance is always an issue, I find that my Exile puts enough pressure to stop it from completing, even if an astro-train is going. And since FA loves to hold Agendas in their HQ, a well prepared Sneakdoor/Imp run can net a lot of points from an unpepared FA deck because very few expect that splashed in green.

On the other hand Jinteki:RP puts so much pure economic pressure on the runner that burst economies just cannot keep up unless they get a very good amount of siphoning and I'm unluckly. But I found that very few decks are prepared to deal with expensive to trash assets and upgrades.

tl;dr: Exile/Jinteki:RP YOLO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Store Championship - Paladin's Place - Reports and Decklists
At the risk of missing the point, if you put the Sundew behind a Chimera... isn't it a economic net-zero? Or is that move more about forcing the runner to waste clicks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
once the runner knows its chim. he wont run till he has 3 or ai breaker. waste of clicks for him other wise .. depending on econ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
db0 is the MAAAAAAN!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Job! Having played a version of your Untrashable, it is a blast to play. Your Exile deck looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, man! Good to see such fresh lists too. Well played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
At the risk of missing the point, if you put the Sundew behind a Chimera... isn't it a economic net-zero? Or is that move more about forcing the runner to waste clicks?

As other said, runners are unlikely to do that. Even if don't have a painful ICE in each of my centrals, it would still mean -2 clicks at no cost for me. I'd take that exchange every time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Db0!

I wanted to grab a SC with my Replicating Perfection deck so much . But had to settle for 3 top-4s with it. I think RP is the better Jinteki these days; I don't play the untrashable shell game with it, but I've watched your deck in action. Nice stuff .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Congrats, Db0!

How many players were at the tourney?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Dragon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
I knew for a while wanted I wanted to play with, and it was to go down with my jankiest, weidest and most unexpected decks I am currently running with.

Hey, I've always thought RP was strong, stronger than most people think, anyway. Especially now with Spin Cycle's huge Jinteki econ like Celebrity Gift and of course Sun Dew, but also with new stuff like Shock, Tsurugi and Yagura. I don't even want to know what it's like with Caprice and Shinobi. hah It's the most annoying thing for me to play against.
I also don't think Exile is that bad. I've been playing against Exile players pretty often. I think he's is only gonna get stronger in the future when we have more cards like Faerie or Deus X. (Maybe Grapling Hook?)

DbZer0 wrote:
Round 2:

I go up against Joshua, another person I know from Frankfurt who's played my decks before, but fortunately he's more intimidated by them because of it.

Corp: I win the random chance again and decide to go with Corp once more. Joshua is playing Chaos Theory. I get a pretty solid econ quickly while is trying to build as fast as possible, being hampered by missing both Magnum Opus as well as Prof. Contacts. I remember a lot of clicking for credits after trashing some of my initial econ which I didn't mind. In the end I accelerated just too much for him to catch up.

Runner: I go against HB again but memory fails me. I can't remember muc from what happened in that game. Maybe it'll come back to me.

Yes, forgetting about those games is the right thing to do. haha
I wasn't really playing in a Jinteki mindset against your RP and then I got pretty desperate after I lost my ONLY Corroder in the FIRST turn.
At least it got kinda close at the end. Before you scored your final agenda, I had 1 more random access on R&D. If that had been a 2 pointer, I'd have won.

The game against Exile was pretty straight forward. I kept putting out agendas way too boldly for some reason. And then I forgot Deus X can break through Heimdall for free. It's funny, the same thing happened to me in some online tourney a while ago. I lost because I forgot Deus X can break through Wall of Thorns.
Deus X, bane of my corporate existence.
(edit: Just remembered that game against db0 was the one where I accidentally mistook the R&D ice with the HQ ice and vice versa. What a day, what a day.)

I didn't really play well that day. At least I ended up somewhere in the middle score wise. My biggest mistake was having 3 cards in hand against NBN. Oh god what was I thinking. Oh, I know what it was. "When I'm dead, you can't use your Sweeps Weeks on me anymore!"

Canales wrote:
Congrats, Db0!

How many players were at the tourney?

Eleven in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
That's the weirdest RP deck I've ever seen. I adore it. Bravo, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looking good there, Champ!

Congrats on the win - since I've been at the receiving end of these decks a couple of weeks ago, I can well imagine how your opponents must have felt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats again, db0. the pic/smile is priceless .

on a side note: were transparent sleeves allowed at the tournament, does anyone know?

and db0, what did you get for winning, "only" the playmat? it's cool, but i always thought store champions also get alternate art cards or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Dragon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
on a side note: were transparent sleeves allowed at the tournament, does anyone know?

Yep, it was even allowed to not use any sleeves at all.
They are only mandatory if you have cards that look a bit different on the backside.

Clawf1ng3r wrote:
and db0, what did you get for winning, "only" the playmat? it's cool, but i always thought store champions also get alternate art cards or so.

Oh, he got a ton of stuff.
He got that awesome plaque, a playmat (that is worth freaking $60), a deckbox, 3 Kati Jones alt art cards and a bye for the regionals if I remember correctly.
Most other people "only" got the 3 Kati Joneseses which look really cool, but I'd kill to get one of those Wotan playmats (wouldn't pay $60 for it though).

By the way Seba, were you busy on Saturday? Too bad you couldn't come, we would have been an even amount of players then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pluto
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Death Dragon wrote:
Clawf1ng3r wrote:

Yep, it was even allowed to not use any sleeves at all.
They are only mandatory if you have cards that look a bit different on the backside.

NON-transparent sleeves are mandatory if you have cards that look a bit different on the backside [promos].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

He got that awesome plaque, a playmat (that is worth freaking $60), a deckbox, 3 Kati Jones alt art cards and a bye for the regionals if I remember correctly.
Most other people "only" got the 3 Kati Joneseses which look really cool, but I'd kill to get one of those Wotan playmats (wouldn't pay $60 for it though).

To be honest I was a bit sad I didn't get a cool bling that I can actually use in my games, like tokens or hard-IDs or special alt-art cards like datasucker. But I won't complain for what I got
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Death Dragon wrote:
By the way Seba, were you busy on Saturday? Too bad you couldn't come, we would have been an even amount of players then.

yes, been busy at home. additionally, i've still like zero experience in deckbuilding... but i'm still planning on getting into it. and get more plays, i just have to learn how to octgn but free time is spare :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Death Dragon wrote:

Good to know that one can hire a hitman for less than $60 whistle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
Quote:

To be honest I was a bit sad I didn't get a cool bling that I can actually use in my games, like tokens or hard-IDs or special alt-art cards like datasucker. But I won't complain for what I got

Yeah, this is a major failing of the prize support: the dearth of actual cool, exclusive, usable-in-game stuff.

US Regionals aren't doing anything to help that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well played and close games - I was the opp. Nr 3 NBN and Kate - close games...

Thank you ... dude your decks are crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.