Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unoficial faq said some monsters will have a courage check before youcan attack them. Is that the courage number on the Monster type card?

Rulebook says that number on the monster card relates to monster type checking courage to attack a hero.

I think i saw in one of the Myth extended gameplay sessions that they did a courage check before attacking a captain.

So i am a bit confused. Wich monsters do I need to do courage checks for?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that they'd be clearly labeled if you need to perform a courage check.

The courage TN for your hero to attack one of these enemies is printed on your hero's character token (that you insert into the board), and in each hero's reference section in the Rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
I read somewhere that they'd be clearly labeled if you need to perform a courage check.

The courage TN for your hero to attack one of these enemies is printed on your hero's character token (that you insert into the board), and in each hero's reference section in the Rulebook.
the courage stat is what the monster needs to roll to attack the soldier when he scares them, terror with 1000 legs calls for you to make a courage check in p2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Courage checks are a single d10 roll vs a Target Number. The TN needed to pass a Courage check is listed on the Hero token/Monster card. I believe it is a 6 for all the base Heroes. You must meet or beat the TN to pass the check. Courage checks are considered non-combat checks, so any bonuses to non-combat checks (cards, equipment, etc) can be utilized as well.

I believe the Stalkers (Arachnid Captains) have a Fear aura that would require Courage checks to attack anything within the aura.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so if you're fighting Terror:

1. Play your card, spend your AP.
2. Roll D10 + non-combat action bonuses.
3. If you reached courage TN (6- any item bonuses), you can proceed.
4. Roll your dice pool for the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordCyler wrote:

Courage checks are a single d10 roll vs a Target Number. The TN needed to pass a Courage check is listed on the Hero token/Monster card. I believe it is a 6 for all the base Heroes. You must meet or beat the TN to pass the check. Courage checks are considered non-combat checks, so any bonuses to non-combat checks (cards, equipment, etc) can be utilized as well.

I believe the Stalkers (Arachnid Captains) have a Fear aura that would require Courage checks to attack anything within the aura.

This is correct, 6+ on d10, so 50/50 for unbuffed heroes to pass.

The Fear aura is on the card for the stalker. Bottom line. Basically, if within aura, you need to pass courage check to make any attack. Stalker's aura is range 1. It effects all attacks made while within the aura, not just vs the stalker btw.

We found it funny Yardu didn't have it. Then Yardu resurrected on us two tiles in a row. Yardu doesn't need an in-game fear aura. We as players now fear him enough for our avatars, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow4ce wrote:
We found it funny Yardu didn't have it. Then Yardu resurrected on us two tiles in a row. Yardu doesn't need an in-game fear aura. We as players now fear him enough for our avatars, lol.

Well, y'know, when you get right down to it, Yardu is just a big dude with an axe. THAT we can deal with.

Now, those stalkers, walking up the walls and stuff and slithering around... that just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Another fun factoid is that the stalkers prevent you from attacking anything without your courage, even those widdle grubbers. But, with the Terror With 1000 Legs, Stage 2 Boss, you need courage to attack it (and rightfully so!) and nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:

Really? You resolve the action card before rolling your courage check? What about consumables like arrows? Is ammo discarded before your check? Thematically it works for me either way. Either fear distracts you and your attack is attempted but fails, or you are overcome with fear and never made the action (which may result in loitering).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err404 wrote:
logris wrote:

Really? You resolve the action card before rolling your courage check? What about consumables like arrows? Is ammo discarded before your check? Thematically it works for me either way. Either fear distracts you and your attack is attempted but fails, or you are overcome with fear and never made the action (which may result in loitering).

My understanding of courage checks is if you fall it, you automatically failyour attack, bit still do it, so you'd lose your arrow(s).

So Orion's Tears with 4 arrows while adjacent to a Stalker is very risky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is my understanding. You could explain the arrow away as losing your nerve, getting shaky knees and firing a wasted shot, perhaps. Or, if you had 4 nocked arrows, they all go wonky.

Also, my understanding at the moment of the stalker fear aura is the hero can be anywhere - if any of the targets are the stalker or adjacent to the stalker, you must pass your courage test. Does that seem correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Yes, that is my understanding. You could explain the arrow away as losing your nerve, getting shaky knees and firing a wasted shot, perhaps. Or, if you had 4 nocked arrows, they all go wonky.

Also, my understanding at the moment of the stalker fear aura is the hero can be anywhere - if any of the targets are the stalker or adjacent to the stalker, you must pass your courage test. Does that seem correct?

That seems to be the general consensus. I'll give it another read tonight because that's not how I understood it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.