Subject: Friday or Legendary for solitaire play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Friday and enjoy it; interested to hear from people who've played both as solitaire, which they prefer, or if there are any other single player capable deck builders people care to recommend.

Edited to mention: I'm aware of Thunderstone, but I get to play that regularly enough with a friend that has it, so I'm not too crazy about buying another copy for solo play… that said, if anybody wants to still recommend it above other solo options for deck builders, I might reconsider.

And… edited again to say: I'm also aware of iOS and online deck builders, but I'm not interested in those.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe Star Realms has a solo option. Haven't played it, but it's piqued my interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cook
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rune Age is a good solo deck builder. (apparently the expansion makes it more so, but i don't have it yet)
The solo rules for star realms aren't part of the initial purchase, but will be available via the geekstore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as which game has a better solo experience, I'd say Friday. As far as what game is going to give you more mileage, I'd say Legendary. I prefer to play Legendary multiplayer, but it's okay as a solo experience. It has the variability to make you want to keep coming back to it. Friday, on the other hand, is more of a puzzle that, once solved, can be replayed on higher difficulty levels, but not much changes otherwise. Both games are great though, and you should try and get both if you can. Especially since Friday is usually sold very cheaply.

Ascension: Rise of Vigil has a good solo mode if you're a glutton for punishment. It's very difficult to win, but it will help hone your skills at the regular game. I haven't tried Chronicle of the Godslayer or the other versions of the games, so I can't comment there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary. No question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
As far as which game has a better solo experience, I'd say Friday.

Yep. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and play Legendary so much more...

To me, Friday has been beaten...each game has begun to feel "samey" instead it has become a thing to see how many games I can win in a row to keep it fresh...

Legendary on the other hand has so many different options for game play, and so many different user variants/challenges regularly posted on this site that make it a much vaster experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday and Legendary are two of my favourite solo games over the past 6 months.

Friday's quicker to set up, play, and clean up, and takes up a little less space. (It also travels much easier, if that's important.)

Legendary has more variety (especially if you add the expansions), has a cooler/more thematic feel to it, and scales up to more players.

I'd be unlikely to play more than two games of Friday in a row, but it's easier to break it out for one game. I have, on occasion, played a few rounds of Legendary in a row, and been willing to play more, but had to put it away for time constraints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consensus seems to be Legendary based on the breadth of variety. I am a little concerned about what I've read regarding setup time for Legendary. Is there a way to store the cards that would mitigate this, or is it just inherent to the way each scenario has to be set up? Also, does the Paint The Town Red expansion add enough to the solo experience that you would recommend getting it with the base game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hedges
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two small expansions are nice, but to add real challenge you really need Dark City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that's the one I meant… got my expansions confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I am a little concerned about what I've read regarding setup time for Legendary. Is there a way to store the cards that would mitigate this, or is it just inherent to the way each scenario has to be set up?

It's really more of the tear-down that is the problem. The setup is a bit lengthy, sure, but not really that much more than other games. The tear-down is the real bear because everything has been all shuffled together and all over the place. Putting the decks back together takes a l-o-n-g time, and is annoying. Not a huge issue, tho, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get a bit of a "knack" for the setup and teardown, after a few plays. Also, for single-player, you use fewer cards (only 3 heroes, only 1 villain group and 3 henchmen cards), so there's less to sort out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
You should get a bit of a "knack" for the setup and teardown, after a few plays. Also, for single-player, you use fewer cards (only 3 heroes, only 1 villain group and 3 henchmen cards), so there's less to sort out.

Further, when playing solo...I tend to keep the game set up for a few days and thus get a few plays out of the given scenario without tear down time at all...

So, if you have a spot to keep a game set up, this one wins again..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Friday and legendary. Both that I only play solo. I think they are both very different but both are good. I personally think Friday is a bit better but legendary has way more variety.

Sentinels of the multiverse, even though not really a deck builder, would be worth the time to at least watch a video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I am a little concerned about what I've read regarding setup time for Legendary. Is there a way to store the cards that would mitigate this, or is it just inherent to the way each scenario has to be set up?

It's really more of the tear-down that is the problem. The setup is a bit lengthy, sure, but not really that much more than other games. The tear-down is the real bear because everything has been all shuffled together and all over the place. Putting the decks back together takes a l-o-n-g time, and is annoying. Not a huge issue, tho, IMO.

And by l-o-n-g, he means like 5 minutes.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
And by l-o-n-g, he means like 25 minutes.

Jorune

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

FTFY

wait, what? It takes you 25 minutes to clean up?

jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

FTFY

Is that with meal breaks? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:

To me, Friday has been beaten...each game has begun to feel "samey" instead it has become a thing to see how many games I can win in a row to keep it fresh...

Legendary on the other hand has so many different options for game play, and so many different user variants/challenges regularly posted on this site that make it a much vaster experience.

Also, this. I don't see long term replay in Friday once you get the hang of it. You are merely seeing how good of score you can get. Legendary offers variance between games to give it legs. Saying that, I would get Dark City as well because the base game isn't going to offer a good solo experience in terms of difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
dlikos wrote:

Also, this. I don't see long term replay in Friday once you get the hang of it. You are merely seeing how good of score you can get. Legendary offers variance between games to give it legs. Saying that, I would get Dark City as well because the base game isn't going to offer a good solo experience in terms of difficulty.

I think this depends on what you are looking for in a game.

I played Legendary just once, 5 players, so I will not comment on it or compare it. I am just following

But re Friday, I am currently playing lv 4 (the highest in the rulebook).
I simply know that to beat it I have to stay focused. If I play when I am too tired, say, it never goes well.
I think I have a good hang of the "thinking" behind the game, but I can not play it on "autopilot", every game requires adjustments on the fly.
This is enough to make me come back for more.

But if you reach the level where you can play on autopilot, I agree, I would not play anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.