Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bouncing some ideas around with my Sentinels playing 9-year old daughter, she suggested we build an environment based on a hotel. Probably because of the vacation we just had where we stayed in no fewer than 5 hotels along the way. Pondering the idea, I asked myself what kind of a hotel would lend itself well to the Sentinels universe. And then it struck me, so I took it upon myself to attempt to imagine the story told in a classic rock song, but in Sentinels form, and with super villains.

There is nothing even remotely hero-friendly about this environment. You want to get out of here, and out of here fast. It's heavy on targets, and all the non-target cards have a means by which they can be destroyed, which, as you will see, is very important.

Nothing's been tested, and it's pretty much all ideas now. The concepts are likely to stay (unless someone has a killer idea to add) but the execution may change.

Yes, I know I overdid it with the keywords, and many of them won't have any affect in any game, but I'm keeping them because of their ties to the source material.

Guest Targets
=============
Mercedes [Guest, Bendy] 6 HP
- At the start of the environment turn, Mercedes deals 1 irreducible psychic damage to all non environment targets.

Dancer [Guest, Forgetful] 8 HP
- At the start of each hero’s turn, that hero must discard at least one card. If a hero discards three cards in this way, destroy this card.

Tiffany [Guest, Twisted] 5HP
- When this card enters play or leaves play, play the top card of the environment deck.
- At the start of the environment turn, Tiffany does 1 melee damage to herself.

Boy [Guest, Friends, Pretty] 5HP
- At the start of the environment turn, all Environment targets regain 1 HP.

Staff Targets
=============
Nightman [Staff] 10 HP
- When any card except for this one is destroyed, place it instead on the top of the appropriate deck.

Captain [Staff] 7HP
- At start of the environment turn, search the environment trash for Champagne on Ice and put it into play.
- At the end of the environment turn deal all hero targets 1 psychic damage.

Other Targets
=============
Mirrors [Reflective] 10 HP.
- When a non-environment target damages another target, deal the same amount of damage to the attacking target, and Mirrors deals 1 energy damage to itself.

Door [Exit] 20 HP
- The heroes cannot win. Character cards are indestructible. This card is indestructible while at least one other environment card is in play.
- At the end of the environment turn, if all character cards are reduced to 0 HP the heroes and villain are trapped in the hotel forever. The game is lost.

Colitas [Fragrant] 3 HP
- At the start of the environment turn, if at least one guest is in play Colitas takes 1 irreducible melee damage.
- Reduce damage to environment targets by 1.

Other Cards
===========
Knives [Steely]
- Guests do an additional 1 melee damage to non-environment cards.
- At the end of the environment turn, if no Guests are in play destroy this card.

Champagne on Ice [Pink]
- At the end of the environment turn all environment targets regain (H) HP and destroy this card.

Desert Highway [Dark]
- Search the environment trash and deck for Door and put it into play. Shuffle the environment trash into the environment deck.
- At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Voices [Far Away]
- At the end of the environment turn, deal all non-environment targets 1 psychic damage.
- At the start of a hero turn, that hero may discard or destroy an ongoing card to destroy this card.

Master’s Chamber [Gathering]
- When this card enters play, search the environment trash and deck for a total of (H) guest or staff cards. Put these into play and shuffle the environment trash into the environment deck.
- At the end of the environment turn, play the top card of the environment deck, then destroy this card.

Corridor [Passage Back]
- At the start of the environment turn, destroy this card if no Guests are in play.
- Increase damage dealt by Guests by 1 for each guest in play.

Images are on my Google Drive

The artwork (save for one card based on a photo I took) is all scavenged from the Internet with some tweaks done by me using The Gimp and Koga's excellent templates.

I'll post the individual images after I determine if the deck is really playable or not. If anyone wants the individuals now, I may be persuaded to post them sooner.

Any comments, criticisms or suggestions are most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What, no creepy twins? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to confess that the only song I can think of that might fit is "Hotel California," but I'm not that familiar with the lyrics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsdougan wrote:
I have to confess that the only song I can think of that might fit is "Hotel California," but I'm not that familiar with the lyrics.

Where else have you heard the word "Colitas" used in a sentence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:
What, no creepy twins? whistle

Very much the wrong hotel, but that one would make a good setting too, I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Yves Lemieux
msg tools
I'm affraid the Nightman can shut villains down as hard as infinite Into the Stratosphere. For example he comes out and you kill Citizen Spring every round she becomes the only card play from Dawn meaning she's effectively shackled unless the environment gives extra play. It even works on ongoings if your team as ongoing destruction as a power so it can render Plague Rat mostly harmless. It could off course slow heroes down too, but I feel its gamebreaking especially if O-X can timeshift the card in play or in the discard if nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not overly concerned about Nightman nerfing the villain occasional, or giving the heroes a benefit. Part of the fun of SotM is finding scenarios where a heroes "turn the tables" on the villain or environment, using an ostensibly negative effect to their gain. But if it becomes a "more-than-occasional" thing I'll need to rethink it. Any ideas?

Keep in mind "check out any time you like, but you can never leave" is the last vocals you hear in the song, so it absolutely needs to be represented in the deck. "Door" gives some of that, but not quite the same thing. I'm looking for something that evokes a feeling of stasis. I'm open to ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggested change: When any card except for this one is destroyed, place it on the top of the appropriate deck and Nightman deals itself 3 radiant damage.

That stops it from going on forever. Maybe you can pull it back, but only with rather specific resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that, with a line like that, you'd go more for the effect:

When a target is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, it is not destroyed.

Other than Nightman, if this rule is on that card. Unneeded, if on the Door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Yves Lemieux
msg tools
Or maybe he could cumulate cards beneath himsef and deal damage on all targets according to the number of cards beneath himself like 1 damage per H card rounded down to all hero targets. That way you get the feeling of trapping stuff without mucking a villain's play and give heroes a reason to not leave him in play too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooohhhhh. I like that the idea of the last one. Let me ponder it some.

Thinking about:

When any card other than this one is destroyed instead of putting it in the trash place it under this card.

When this card is destroyed, return all cards underneath this card to the top of the appropriate decks in random order and Nightman deals all non-environment targets X psychic damage, where X is the number of decks that receive cards in this manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Yves Lemieux
msg tools
Yeah that could work at least with that change it becomes playable without becoming too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty happy so far with limitted play. The Door was a killer for me and my kids against Bomber Blade. He was reduced to zero while the door was out, and since the door prevented him from being destroyed (his flip condition), and it took some doing to clear the door, he got some extra shots in with a sizable pile to power them. Bad luck, really, but quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eames
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving this environment but just noticed, Colitas has 3hp in the description but none on the card art. I'm sure this is an oversight on the card art.
Keep up the good work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. The latest images are in this folder of my Google Drive. I've updated the first post to reflect this, and fixed Colitas and Nightman while I was at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eames
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to find more faults but.... on the Nightman flavor text it says '... I could TO so....' should that be 'I could DO so' ? (Emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries about finding faults. I welcome it, as I am (obviously) a horribly editor of my own work. In general I'm a poor editor, but with my own stuff I already know what it *should* say so I always read it as intended, not as it's actually presented. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll fix it when I get a chance later tonight.

Edit: Uploaded a new Nightman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.