Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

BGG, my two little sisters surprised me when they came up to me today and said "Erik! We made up a board game! Can we show it to you?"

I sat down with them and low and behold they had made a prototype out of random bits and pieces of other games and did a great job explaining the rules. As it was a two player game, I mentioned off hand how there was a game design contest for 2 player games on a website I visited.

They wanted in BAD.

I want to foster this creativity and ambition. They sat down together to make a game, and said they want to take on the challenge of taking your help and critique and using it to make their game better. So I'm here on their account to enter their design into the 2014 2 Player PnP Contest!

Everything you say for critique here will be given for them to work with while crafting their game. I'm just a go between, the two of them are the creative minds here and will be the ones responding to your thoughts.

I'm incredibly proud of them for taking this on. If you have the time PLEASE give this a playtest so they can have some feedback.

They can't have this awesome life experience without your help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (WIP) 2P PnP Contest -Needs A Name- (Game Designed by my 9 and 11 year old sisters!)
For people looking at making suggestions I thought I'd help by mentioning things they've tweaked to try and make the game better. They've already gone through a few iterations, but maybe some insight into their proceess so far can help you, and maybe you can take some ideas from it to make the game better!

Their original components were rocks they found outside. They came with with the smart idea to have tokens that had the color red on one side and the color blue on the other, so once you took a token you could easily flip it over to claim it as yours.

Originally, ever time you captured a pawn you brought both pawns back no matter what to the base. They said they thought it made the game too long.

Before they rolled a die, they took a deck of cards and split them into one suit a piece and shuffled them, the one that drew the highest card was the winner of each battle with a joker card being a redraw.

At one point there was no purple zone in the middle, but they always ended up stacking loads of bits on the border to try and be safe which made the game "too much of using the same strategy" in their exact words.

Originally it didn't matter what happened when there was multiple stones on a space, they thought it didn't make sense and wanted a reason to put more stones on one space, so they added the fighting one at a time.

Give them those suggestions!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (WIP) 2P PnP Contest -It Needs A Title!- (Designed by my 9 and 11 year old sisters!)
It has a similar mancala layout and movement system with lite combat, looks cute.

I will try to think of an appropriate theme and title to match the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (WIP) 2P PnP Contest -It Needs A Title!- (Designed by my 9 and 11 year old sisters!)
well as a quick suggestion i would say the number of tokens you have in a space should affect the die roll somehow.

i think the die roll is the key point that does not yet have strategy behind it. it is simply a heads/tails type thing.

perhaps the stones could be developed a bit like Stratego or LOTR:Confrontation in that they have some sort of hidden powers that are revealed during the first combat between two or more stones.

then it becomes in part a memory game to keep track of what piece is where
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
wow. surprise I wish I could think of a name (two came to mind though, but I scratched em cause that the designers are 10-11 year olds) I wish I had that creativity when I was that young. I did make one board game when I was little. it was a school project, based off a book I had to read for school. but its gone with the ages now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
It has a similar mancala layout and movement system with lite combat, looks cute.

I will try to think of an appropriate theme and title to match the mechanics.

I had noticed it had some Mancala vibes, good to know I wasn't alone! I'll be sure to ask them if that was part of their inspiration. Thank you for the help!

dumarest123 wrote:
well as a quick suggestion i would say the number of tokens you have in a space should affect the die roll somehow.

i think the die roll is the key point that does not yet have strategy behind it. it is simply a heads/tails type thing.

perhaps the stones could be developed a bit like Stratego or LOTR:Confrontation in that they have some sort of hidden powers that are revealed during the first combat between two or more stones.

then it becomes in part a memory game to keep track of what piece is where

I'll get these ideas over to them, I know I personally like some of it, let's see what they'll come up with!

Brokenearth wrote:
wow. surprise I wish I could think of a name (two came to mind though, but I scratched em cause that the designers are 10-11 year olds) I wish I had that creativity when I was that young. I did make one board game when I was little. it was a school project, based off a book I had to read for school. but its gone with the ages now.

Give them to me anyways! If they are too bad, I can filter them or at least keep them in mind when they are brainstorming if they head in some similar direction.

I made a few games like that as well, I admit seeing them do it of their own accord was awesome! I too wish I had started making games early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Virus Tag? Get infected and convert to the other side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Virus Tag? Get infected and convert to the other side?

I'll give them the idea! They'd get the idea of an immune system from science class. Are you suggesting one side is the virus and the other the antivirus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo, well done them

Suggestion for theme/title 'The Pack' so the tokens are wolves out hunting for the pack, when they capture a piece that represents that pack successfully hunting in that area, the piece being returned to the base would be the young cubs that the pack can raise because of their sucessful hunting.

As for the game, it sounds quite fun.

If the game is taking too long, or the end point is unsatifying then you could perhaps consider ending the game when one team out numbers the other 9:1 or so.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Capps wrote:
. . . they came up to me today and said "Erik . . ."
Okay, this needs to be addressed ASAP. I mean, don't they know your name is Capps?

I want to foster this creativity and ambition.
This is so cool, Capps. Ironically enough, my neice was playing one of my prototypes at Thanksgiving dinner last year and she started "designing" a Horse Racing game. I took notes of everything she said and planned on creating it as a surprise for her birthday. I then ended up winning some Horse Meeples in January 2014's G4GG and started to put it together. Her BD party was yesterday, and when I gave it to her she was absolutely overwhelmed. Seeing her idea and design put into physical form, you could see the sparkle in her eye. If you can make your sisters' game a reality, you will brighten their life, I guarantee it. The look on my neice's face when she opened it . . . I will never forget that.

I don't really have too many original ideas to add. Heck, I would play it in its current form

Todd's idea about the Stratego powers on the pieces sounds absolutely cool. They don't even have to be complicated at all, and maybe only half of them could have a "power". The rest could be basic pawns that work like the current rules.

Nate's "Tag" theme sounds good too. Maybe call it Team Tag. Because that is basically what you are doing. I am trying to figure out a way, thematically, that the dice rolls would make sense.

*idea* This basically just popped in my head. If you do add powers, one of them could be a Freeze Tag character. They would capture the pawns in place and get a bonus to their dice roll as long as they stayed with the opponents pawn that was frozen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuggableHamster wrote:
Woo, well done them

Suggestion for theme/title 'The Pack' so the tokens are wolves out hunting for the pack, when they capture a piece that represents that pack successfully hunting in that area, the piece being returned to the base would be the young cubs that the pack can raise because of their sucessful hunting.

As for the game, it sounds quite fun.

If the game is taking too long, or the end point is unsatifying then you could perhaps consider ending the game when one team out numbers the other 9:1 or so.

Good luck!

I'll get this forwarded to the creative team! The theme managed to fit the mechanics a bit too, so they'll probably like it

goatfarmer03 wrote:

Okay, this needs to be addressed ASAP. I mean, don't they know your name is Capps?

laugh They have NO idea whistle

goatfarmer03 wrote:
I don't really have too many original ideas to add. Heck, I would play it in its current form

Todd's idea about the Stratego powers on the pieces sounds absolutely cool. They don't even have to be complicated at all, and maybe only half of them could have a "power". The rest could be basic pawns that work like the current rules.

Nate's "Tag" theme sounds good too. Maybe call it Team Tag. Because that is basically what you are doing. I am trying to figure out a way, thematically, that the dice rolls would make sense.

*idea* This basically just popped in my head. If you do add powers, one of them could be a Freeze Tag character. They would capture the pawns in place and get a bonus to their dice roll as long as they stayed with the opponents pawn that was frozen.

I'll get this all forwarded to them as well! I have a feeling if they like the powers idea we'll see some crazy things from their creative minds laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S.
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first name that popped up for me was based this clip from finding nemo of the seagulls. http://youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM. So what do they think about 'Mine!' Or 'Mine! No, mine!' to prevent confusion with that mining game. I could also see themes of pirates, space, junkyard, etc with raiders, thief, hoarding, collecting or war in title like 'Space Raiders'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Elliot
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting.

I can almost see this like a field game (football, soccer, etc...) I think it might be interesting if they widened the "field" from 2 to 4 spots, perhaps.

Add in the "virus" concept, having one player be the infection, moving from their end (a cut in the skin) towards the other end (opponent's heart?), and the immune system player is a heart that pumps out white blood cells to attack the viruses and then clotting agents to seal the skin?

Don't want to get too tricky with too many powers, but that might be one way to have a couple different "powers" without getting overwhelmed. The virus, maybe is one type of virus, but depending on what you roll might have different powers? It could infect both types of cells (white cells, clotting agent). It would be asymmetric in that regards, since each player would have a different mode of playing.

Eww. Apparently this would lead to sepsis. Just googled it - pretty nasty stuff!

I also agree that the number of tokens in a space should affect your dice rolling. Whether that be number of dice rolled or a modifier added to a single (or multiple) die or subtracted from your opponents or something of that nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zagieboylo
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mb
What a great couple of sisters you have! When I consider the dumb games I invented when I was 9 ...

One thing that bugs me is the even comparison for attack/defense. It seems that there should be some benefit for attacking, or the game becomes one of defending constantly. Here are some possible changes to try out.

Attack wins ties. This gives the attacker 7/12 chance to win to the defender's 5/12. (I think this is probably too much advantage.)

On a tie, the defender's unit it pushed back to the defender's base, and the attacker's unit remains. This leaves them with equal chance to win, but a tie is still an improvement for the attacker in that he gains position (and gets to continue fighting, if against multiple opponents).

When a single attacker attacks multiple units, he always attacks two units at once, one die vs. two dice. If he captures either, then he gets it. Here are the odds, where A for attacker wins, D for defender wins, and T for a tie.
AA: 55/216: Attacker gains two units, continue fighting
AT: 30/216 = 5/36: Attacker gains one unit, continue fighting
AD: 40/216 = 5/27: Each side gains one unit
TT: 06/216 = 1/36: No change, continue fighting
DT: 30/216 = 5/36: Defender gains one unit
DD: 55/216: Defender still only gains one unit, because there is only one there for him to gain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also thought of Mancala when I read the description. Add in the capturing of tokens and you could call it Mancaptcha, Mancapture, or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawkins
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe combat resolution could be spiced up without increasing complexity too much. Each player would start with a hand of 13 cards from one suit. For a battle, each player would secretly select a card and then simultaneously reveal. The higher card would win. In the case of a tie, repeat the simultaneous card selection. Played cards are discarded into separate areas for each player. After all 13 cards have been used, they are taken back into hand. Your sisters can decide whether they want already played cards to be displayed so that all can be easily seen or put face down so that a good memory is an advantage.

Good luck to your sisters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belthus wrote:
Maybe combat resolution could be spiced up without increasing complexity too much. Each player would start with a hand of 13 cards from one suit. For a battle, each player would secretly select a card and then simultaneously reveal. The higher card would win. In the case of a tie, repeat the simultaneous card selection. Played cards are discarded into separate areas for each player. After all 13 cards have been used, they are taken back into hand. Your sisters can decide whether they want already played cards to be displayed so that all can be easily seen or put face down so that a good memory is an advantage.

Good luck to your sisters!

Thanks! I like the idea of miniature GOPS and it brings back the cards they liked. I'll let them in on the idea. They're working a bit on some of the things you've already told them, so I'll get back to you all probably sometime today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnome Wars!

The board could be neighboring gardens with gnomes from each side waging war. "Home turf" could be each garden and the center area the "alley" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: Gnome!
ShelbyB wrote:
Gnome Wars!

The board could be neighboring gardens with gnomes from each side waging war. "Home turf" could be each garden and the center area the "alley" or something like that.

That made me literally laugh out loud! I'll get this idea to them. Hopefully we can manage an update here tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello!
Maybe the theme could be robotsrobotrobot and maybe the name could be Robots Capture The Signal . Maybe the bases can be the signal to get the robots working and the fight could be the fight of people trying to take control of the robots.
If they want powers maybe have some robots that can move faster or a robot the adds one to the dice roll.Or one that allows the pieces to be converted right there.
Maybe they can have items to collect as power ups or something.

But the game right now seems a bit hard for the losing player to have a comeback. I mean the winning has more pieces equaling more power, defense and force. So I think you should talk to your sisters about this.

Another theme cold be something related to temperature and one player wants it to be hot the other cold.

I wish your sisters good luck i'll try to get some of my classmates to play.
~Charger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impulse would be to keep it an abstract and call it "Girlcala."

But if it needs a theme, the way captured pieces are brought back to your base reminds me of two colonies of ants fighting, so I'd call it "Ants Go Marching." (10 by 10, hurrah)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got one! check-ello! (cause' it's a checkers/Othello hybrid!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawn Wars.
Gnomes vs Flamingos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
Lawn Wars.
Gnomes vs Flamingos

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Boys VS Girls: The epicest of battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.