Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after looking at the Sweet 16 round of this year's Geek Madness I was distressed to find out that Netrunner is falling further behind Race for the Galaxy. (276-352 as I type this)

So, I decided to head over here and see if there was already a thread started becrying that fact. And I found out that there already was one. But the only reply to that one was an informative post about the need for only a single anouncement in the News section of each game, which had already been started about a month ago here, but has of course been lost to the oblivion of old threads.

Now, I don't know for sure why I have decided to take such an interest in this tournament, but I have. So I am asking anyone else who wants to see Netrunner voted into the finals and beyond to go to the "official News announcement thread" to keep up to date with the tournament and such passing travesties as the current (278-356; see, it had changed during this typing and not for the better) impending loss to Race for the Galaxy.

I suppose the real purpose of this thread is to ask the Netrunner faithful to go to our appointed News thread and subscribe so as to keep up to date. And just to be helpful, I will include this helful link:

EESUBSCRIBEWW

And give the post a thumb while you are there.

Oh, and vote for Netrunner if you feel so inclined. thumbsupwhistle

Poll
What was the true purpose of this post?
To bring awareness to the the Netrunner Geek Madness News thread
To unabashedly beg for Netrunner votes in the Geek Madness Tournament
To see how many links could be embedded in a single post
To see if anyone would find the Wikipedia link in the post
To waste the OP's time because his Netrunner opponent just went home
To use the word becry in a sentence. (yeah, I had to look it up)
      77 answers
Poll created by isaacw2008

And as a final tip, always run last click, I here that is the way to go. Keep the corp on his toes and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I love Netrunner but I had to vote for Race for the Galaxy. Netrunner is pretty cool but RftG is a classic. They scratch pretty different itches gameplay wise (beyond their similarities as card games), but if forced to choose one over the other it would be Race for the Galaxy almost without a doubt. RftG manages to cram an absurd amount of replayability into a single deck of cards without requiring any expansion buying or even deck building. It also manages to be more accessible and even scales well from 2-4 players.

Netrunner is great but it requires a ton of commitment to get the most out of it and it is really hard to find other people who are willing to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Ødegård
Norway
Høvik
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe give the reddit people a poke? Or is that frowned upon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Eremiel wrote:
Maybe give the reddit people a poke? Or is that frowned upon?

It isn't and even if it were, fuck the frowny eurodudes hate-voting because a card game is beating their cube-pushers for the second year in a row. I mean, have you seen the comments?

- Netrunner only beats Agricola because it's the new target of the cult of the new!
- Netrunner's theme is pasted on!
- Netrunner is overrated! Because reasons.
- NETRUNNER FANBOYS (As opposed to normal citizens of Baoardgamegeek)
- Netrunner sucks because it has a less efficient draw engine (wut?)
- RICHARD GARFIELD FANBOYS (As opposed to the upstanding Feld fanboys)

Are you going to let them smear Netrunner's name? Are you going to let them say "Yeah, Netrunner was a fad"? PROVE THEM WRONG! MAKE IT WIN AGAIN! VOTE FOR NETRUNNER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Good job OP, you sure wrote a lot of "wacky" words, which are definitely fooling everyone into not realizing this is a votebegthread, hahaha, hyperlinks, classic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Your honor I was clearly not spamming to drum up votes, I was spamming to drum up subscriptions to my votebeg newsletter, that's like the first derivative of votebegging and is clearly an entirely different thing, also I used a sixth-grade word to prove I am a big grown-up and therefore a cool person, I move to acquit and why won't shelley go to prom with me it's so unfair
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie B
msg tools
Thank you Roberta. People in general have been pissing me off and your post made my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Your honor I was clearly not spamming to drum up votes, I was spamming to drum up subscriptions to my votebeg newsletter, that's like the first derivative of votebegging and is clearly an entirely different thing, also I used a sixth-grade word to prove I am a big grown-up and therefore a cool person, I move to acquit and why won't shelley go to prom with me it's so unfair

Never have I felt so understood. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever claims RotG to be more a classic game that this "new" Netrunner clearly forgets about publishing dates.
RotG: 2007
Netrunner was firt printed on 1996, this is just a second edition of the SAME game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
RftG manages to cram an absurd amount of replayability into a single deck of cards without requiring any expansion buying or even deck building. It also manages to be more accessible and even scales well from 2-4 players.

Netrunner is great but it requires a ton of commitment to get the most out of it and it is really hard to find other people who are willing to do that.

I thoroughly enjoy both games.

Including my games against the Keldon AI, I've played Race for the Galaxy about 20 times with no expansions. I have 95 plays of core-set only Netrunner with no expansions. From my personal experience, I would argue that Netrunner does not require a ton of commitment and provides an absurd amount of replayability out of the box with no expansions whatsoever.

After more than a year and a half, I've probably taught a couple dozen people Netrunner, while I've taught Race for the Galaxy to a few. The handful I've taught both to have all found Netrunner to be the more accessible and intuitive of the two, struggling with Race's iconography more than Netrunner's mechanics.

I have found Race does best when played with players at similar experience levels who have a decent knowledge of the cards in the deck, and I really do not have those players in my area, making Race an unfriendly and inaccessible experience for most of my friends. Netrunner does not have that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
CrimsonWraith wrote:
I have found Race does best when played with players at similar experience levels who have a decent knowledge of the cards in the deck, and I really do not have those players in my area, making Race an unfriendly and inaccessible experience for most of my friends. Netrunner does not have that issue.

Doesn't it? I always thought knowing the cards and having some experience is extremely important in Netrunner. New players don't really know what to expect - they may not know what Scorched Earth is, or how Jinteki decks tend to differ from other Corps' decks, or what is the worst thing that can happen when they facecheck ICE in a given situation e.t.c.

Then again, it might be true that RftG is less friendly in that respect, even though I remember it quite differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. Netrunner has some pretty basic strategies for cautious runners to avoid those instances. Don't run on your last click, don't run with less than three cards, don't face-check without a sentry breaker, etc. Granted, I do have the new-player friendly demo decks from FFG courtesy of the Plugged-In tour and have enough experience myself to point out trouble cards to beginners so they know some of the risks in face-checking ice and hitting remotes blind.

I've found that new players in Netrunner can be quite competitive in the first couple of games, with absolutely no knowledge of any expansion cards. I can't say the same for new players in Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
Sorry, I love Netrunner but I had to vote for Race for the Galaxy. Netrunner is pretty cool but RftG is a classic. They scratch pretty different itches gameplay wise (beyond their similarities as card games), but if forced to choose one over the other it would be Race for the Galaxy almost without a doubt. RftG manages to cram an absurd amount of replayability into a single deck of cards without requiring any expansion buying or even deck building. It also manages to be more accessible and even scales well from 2-4 players.

Hello fellow Cascadian!! Good to see Geeks among our numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
Granted, I do have the new-player friendly demo decks from FFG courtesy of the Plugged-In tour

I don't suppose you could share the decklists or point out where they are located on the internet? I couldn't find anything with a quick search.

CrimsonWraith wrote:
I've found that new players in Netrunner can be quite competitive in the first couple of games, with absolutely no knowledge of any expansion cards. I can't say the same for new players in Race.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not calling RftG a new player friendly game. I'm just saying that I have had a terrible time getting people to play Netrunner and I think this is partially because it is so hard to make relevant decisions without significant knowledge of the card pool. On top of that new cards are added to Netrunner pretty much every month, which just compounds the problem.

In any case this is really an Apples and Oranges comparison as the two games have very little in common beyond being deep and relatively complicated card games with steep learning curves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly!

These are the same decks that Fantasy Flight Games' staff members used to teach new players the game during the Plugged-In Tour. They do a few things to make it more new player friendly. The decks are below the minimum size to make the game a bit shorter while still letting new players see a large variety of cards. Some of the mechanics are completely removed or heavily minimized to further simplify matters. Traces, viruses, and bad publicity are completely removed and do not exist in either deck. Snare! is the only card that gives a tag. The demo decks also came with a summarized version of the rulebook... it's basically the Netrunner rulebook narrowed down to a double-sided poster sheet. Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced mine and handed all other copies out to other stores in the area. If I find my copy, I'll scan it and add it to the game's image gallery here.

Corp Demo Deck for New Players

Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core Set)

0 influence spent
16 agenda points
39 cards

Agenda (7)
3x Nisei MK II (Core Set)
3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
1x Unorthodox Predictions (Mala Tempora)

Asset (8)
2x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)
2x Private Contracts (Cyber Exodus)
2x Project Junebug (Core Set)
2x Snare! (Core Set)

Operation (8)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Neural EMP (Core Set)
1x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
2x Trick of Light (Trace Amount)

Barrier (7)
2x Bastion (Creation and Control)
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)
3x Wall of Thorns (Core Set)

Code Gate (6)
3x Chum (Core Set)
3x Enigma (Core Set)

Sentry (3)
3x Neural Katana (Core Set)

Runner Demo Deck for New Players

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

0 influence spent
30 cards

Event (11)
2x Freelance Coding Contract (Creation and Control)
2x Infiltration (Core Set)
2x Modded (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (3)
3x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)

Resource (7)
1x Aesop's Pawnshop (Core Set)
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
1x Ice Analyzer (Creation and Control)
1x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
2x Public Sympathy (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Battering Ram (Core Set)
2x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
2x Pipeline (Core Set)

Program (3)
2x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
1x Net Shield (Core Set)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad we are ahead, just concerned that our lead is less than 100 right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.