Subject: Vehicles on duckboards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I know the general rule of gaming is "if it doesn't say you can't then you can" but I'll ask anyhow.

I see no mention about vehicles moving across duckboards. I know they were often used on open ground in WWI which implies they could cross them but the art of the tiles appears to clearly represent trenches not open ground.
Given the size of the smaller vehicles in the game I can't, thematically speaking, imagine them being able to move in and out of these spaces. The movement example in the rules only shows the rocket cycle moving on open ground and never mentions duckboards. It does however state they cannot move into bunkers or tank traps (obviously) so I assume this means they'd mention duckboards as well if intended to be impassable.

Even if it is assumed that you can I think it might add a bit more strategy to not allow this type of movement, aside from the sturmpanzer/ostrich perhaps.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lewis
Wales
Penmaenmawr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only rules I can see regarding limits to vehicle movement are their inablity to enter bunkers/tank traps, and the tank shock rule, neither of which specifically stop movement into duckboard.

The only rule that interacts with duckboard seems to be the infantry "runner" ability.

This is we've been playing it anyhow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yup, that's the rules. If vehicles couldn't go o the duckboards then it would have said so in the exclusion sentence along with bunkers. Not allowing them would certainly restrict their use, probably making them unplayable being restricted to just a couple of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. This is why they are not trenches. Though I still think that'd be a cool variant to the game - new maps that actually have trenches (that provide defense and limit tank movement - though maybe rocketbikes and some other equivalent *could* get across).

These are flat boards on the ground, that help infantry more more effectively. They aren't any sort of obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Terranova
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Even if they were trenches, Rob Hawkins showed with his amazing diorama that it wouldn't be a problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that diorama there is so much going on you don't know where to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for your replies. I assumed as much and have been playing that way. It was simply the artwork on the duckboard tiles that made them appear to be trenches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to be clear, aside from bunkers and objective tiles, vehicles can move onto duckboards. Yes?

Just read the rules today and played the first scenario. Wanting to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Briggs
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
So, just to be clear, aside from bunkers and objective tiles, vehicles can move onto duckboards. Yes?

Just read the rules today and played the first scenario. Wanting to double check.

So might we see a quick W.I.P. series of Rivet Wars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

Yes. Although Bunkers and Strategic Objectives "count as" Duckboards, the "infantry only" applies to Bunkers and Strategic Objectives and not to Duckboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
051276 wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

So might we see a quick W.I.P. series of Rivet Wars?

My schedule is set for the next couple months, but I'd like to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhurtt wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

Yes. Although Bunkers and Strategic Objectives "count as" Duckboards, the "infantry only" applies to Bunkers and Strategic Objectives and not to Duckboards.

Perfect. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.