Tom M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello!

My game group is considering getting GoT finally. We've heard very mixed things about the 4-player game, and we will be playing the game exclusively as 4-players (well, primarily 4 at least. We get an occasional 5/6th but usually just 4).

Should we automatically start with A Feast For Crows, or no? I have heard from others a wide array of things about the base games play for 4-players, and want an opinion from her on if we should just automatically start with it or not.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are teaching the rules, and you have never played before, I would probably stick to the base game for your first play. Expect to make mistakes as this will be a learning game for everyone involved.

Once you've taught the game at least once, feel free to use the scenario. I quite enjoy the scenario, and it is more balanced than the four player base game, but you should probably not concern yourself with balance when you are still trying to learn how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with 4 quite a bit, the problem we have is that we prefer base game over FFC. There are a few variants on here which make 4p base game better, the simplest of which is to set up the board as if it was a 3p game. We've tweaked this a bit, but it worked for us early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advantages of NOT using Feast of Crows:
- (slightly) easier rules
- no confusion over why House Arryn doesn't use its pieces

Advantages of using Feast of Crows:
- shorter game
- more balanced game
- goal-oriented gameplay helps people focus

Now to be honest, for the very first game the balance isn't that important. The easiest way to make a choice is to ask yourself one thing - would your group prefer to have goals in hand which they need to work for, or would they prefer a skirmish-like game. Other than that, both choices are actually fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shorter playtime alone was a huge plus for us, and made playing with a lot of newbies much more tolerable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.