Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimbeorn's Quest (1B) states "Forced: After placing the 7th progress token on Grimbeorn's Quest, The Carrock becomes the active location. Discard the previous active location from play."

I've thought about it, and I have not been able to think of a situation where there would be an active location when this Force effect would take place; put another way, I can't think of a way to take advantage of Grimbeorn's Quest as a way to discard an active location. I don't see how you can be putting the 7th token on this quest while an active location is still active.

According to the latest FAQ (version 1.6), It looks like the only way this could potentially happen would be to have a specific card that allows you to place progress tokens on a quest and bypass the active location (1.27 Bypass the active location), but I'm not having any luck finding cards that actually do this.

Is it because I don't have all the expansions, and there are cards out there that do allow for this bypass, or am I not understanding the questing/progress/traveling rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right in that there should never really be an active location when you finish stage 1B. I think the designers put that in there perhaps as a failsafe, should there ever be a future card that bypasses placing progress on the active location. But don't worry, you've got it right and aren't missing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
There is a Forced effect in the Nightmare deck for Conflict at the Carrock that bypasses the active location. If you are not playing with the Nightmare deck, then you're right, there cannot be an active location to be discarded when the first quest card is completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Field of Cormallen (at last!)
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gil Winters wrote:
Grimbeorn's Quest (1B) states "Forced: After placing the 7th progress token on Grimbeorn's Quest, The Carrock becomes the active location. Discard the previous active location from play."

I've thought about it, and I have not been able to think of a situation where there would be an active location when this Force effect would take place; put another way, I can't think of a way to take advantage of Grimbeorn's Quest as a way to discard an active location. I don't see how you can be putting the 7th token on this quest while an active location is still active.

According to the latest FAQ (version 1.6), It looks like the only way this could potentially happen would be to have a specific card that allows you to place progress tokens on a quest and bypass the active location (1.27 Bypass the active location), but I'm not having any luck finding cards that actually do this.

Is it because I don't have all the expansions, and there are cards out there that do allow for this bypass, or am I not understanding the questing/progress/traveling rules?

What about Legolas' effect? Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legolas' effect still places progress tokens on the active location first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Field of Cormallen (at last!)
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
modernlife wrote:
Legolas' effect still places progress tokens on the active location first.

Is that in the FAQ somewhere and I don't know it? Just reading the text on his card doesn't seem to suggest it.

Edit: found it! Page 2 of the Errata http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/suppo... has it under "Golden Rule" and specifically addresses Legolas.
Bummer, been playing that wrong. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.