Subject: Epic first ever win! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so I played a number of games of Eldritch Horror to get the feel of how everything worked and to be certain I had it all pretty much down pat before actually starting to keep track of wins and losses.

Finally....7 losses 1 win!

And it all came down to the wire on this epic win....

Started out with 4 investigators (all randomly drawn): Charlie Kane, Silas Marsh, Leo Anderson and Trish Scarborough. GOO: Azathoth.

Things started out reasonably well, Charlie farmed the Reserve for all it was worth and the other investigators improved some of their skills early on.

The first Mystery was Omen of Devastation - a tough one to solve until there are a few gates on the board.

Then in a cruel twist Charlie was reduced to zero stamina by a Reckoning (I call them Comet effects), collapsing on the streets of San Francisco. Silas later picked up all Charlie's assets on a visit to SF.

The first Mystery was not resolved until 7 cards into the Mythos deck; not bad but not great either. And there were now 2 Eldritch tokens on the green space of the Omen track. Sure enough the Omen track marker moved and doom advanced by 4. But it turns out to be a blessing in disguise as on the next turn Silas manages to close the gate in SF and Trish closes the gate in Istanbul - both of them being the only two green sign gates in the game! Both investigators have clues and 2 Eldritch tokens are added, solving the first Mystery.

The next Mystery is Occult Research, which is quickly resolved thanks to our team having plenty of Research Encounters, but not before Silas is drained to insanity in Shanghai during the Mythos phase by a nasty Lloigor in neighbouring Tokyo.

I'm now down to 2 investigators. In this particular solo game I decided not to replace downed investigators, and scaled the game accordingly using the reference card; I will play this variant for a while and see how it works out as opposed to replacing investigators with new ones.

The final Mystery comes out - Seed of the Daemon Sultan (Tunguska) and by a stroke of pure luck, Mark Harrigan is only a short train ride away.

The Doom track is now down to 1, and things look totally hopeless as I draw the next Mythos card. A rumor card, Return of the Ancient Ones, saves the day....for at least one turn. The next move on the Omen track is the red sign, and there's a matching gate open in Sydney. Trish is in Buenos Aires, and even with an Influence of 6 (with her Urban Guide), she cannot secure a Charter Flight to make it to Sydney to attempt to close the gate before the Doom track moves. Disappointed in herself, she hits the sea lane to Sydney, praying that there's still time.

But never fear, Mark Harrigan arrives in Tunguska. He has 2 huge benefits here; he's on a wilderness space, and he has a Private Investigator as an ally. Even more importantly, he has 2 clues to replace with an Eldritch token to solve the final Mystery. He rolls and succeeds!!

Now, some would say that it's game over, it's a win. But the Mystery card specifically states 'At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half the number of investigators, solve this Mystery'.

The final Mythos card comes out, That Which Consumes. The Omen track moves onto the red sign, a monster surge happens in Sydney, and a clue token is spawned. The Event on it reads: Investigators, as a group, choose 1 gate on the game board and discard it. If the discarded gate does not respond to the current Omen, advance Doom by 1.

The gate in Sydney gets discarded.

Here's the best part. I check the reference guide, just to confirm my epic win.

The game immediately ends when an effect specifies that 'Investigators win the game' or 'Investigators lose the game'. In the RARE circumstance that both of these effects happen at the same time, investigators win the game.

wooooooow, what a nail biter!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Game !

Confused: If you were not replacing investigators, how did Mark Harrigan enter the game???

Glad you got your epic first WIN !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Great Game !

Confused: If you were not replacing investigators, how did Mark Harrigan enter the game???

I think he meant Leo Anderson as he mentions him having an advantage in Wilderness areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahah yep, I always get those 2 confused, it is Leo Anderson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think you could pick up a downed investigator's stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imalrightjack wrote:

See page 14 of the rules

Quote:
Investigators may encounter a defeated investigator’s token in order to retrieve its possessions and possibly retreat doom.

If an investigator is on the same space as a defeated investigator’s token during the encounter phase, he may resolve one of the encounters on the back of the defeated investigator’s sheet. He resolves the “Crippled” encounter if the Investigator token has a Health token on it or the “Insane” encounter if the Investigator token has a Sanity token on it.

After resolving this encounter, remove the defeated Investigator token and Investigator sheet from the game. That investigator cannot be used for the remainder of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
imalrightjack wrote:

See page 14 of the rules

Quote:
Investigators may encounter a defeated investigator’s token in order to retrieve its possessions and possibly retreat doom.

If an investigator is on the same space as a defeated investigator’s token during the encounter phase, he may resolve one of the encounters on the back of the defeated investigator’s sheet. He resolves the “Crippled” encounter if the Investigator token has a Health token on it or the “Insane” encounter if the Investigator token has a Sanity token on it.

After resolving this encounter, remove the defeated Investigator token and Investigator sheet from the game. That investigator cannot be used for the remainder of the game.

Of course - totally forgot! I've just not done it until this very moment. Thanks

Do you get Allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... this happened over one year ago.... did he realized that he actually didn't win at some point between now and then? ^^

I mean, at least not according to his report over here. I know it, almost the exact same thing happened to me yesterday.

Look, he says that the doom track was in 1 when he drawn the final Mythogs, "That Which Consumes". First you move omen track and it got to the red sign and, since there is a portal in matching color, the doom track reached 0 and then the ancient one card is flipped and its effect is imediately resolved. The effect in Azatoth's card is "The investigators lose the game."

Notice that the mytghos never came to an end. The world was devoured before the mythos could end, so this is not the case of "investigators winning and losing at the same time".

That line about loosing and winning in the same time was basically written to explain two rare situations: Let's say you draw the final myth on your myth dec. Then you have one more round untill gets there again. If you solve you final mystery during that round, this effect would take place, because in the rulebook it says :"if there is no myth card on the myth deck to be drawn, the mythos phase ends and investigators lose the game". The keyword here is "the mythos phase ends". This is not shown in Azatoth's card.

The second option in which this rare situation would trigger is when you are facing another Ancient One, one that really spawns in the map and you have to destroyed. Let's say you get your final investigator (remember, when an investigator dies after the Ancient One awakens, the player can't choose another investigator to replace him), and in your fight with the ancient one you both have enough success to kill it, but also got enough damage to get killed. IF the special mystery was only to kill the ancient one, this would be a case in which you both win and loose at the same time.

I know, it is abummer. Like I said, it happened to me almost like that yesterday. :/ Anyway... it was an epic defeat. And when something is epic, is always good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if he knows by now, but since last year April, many threads have discussed this situation and the "knowledge" has spread since then. As long as he is still playing the game and has fun with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.