Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I must be missing something obvious, because I can't find anything about casting spells on other players at different locations. We've been playing it that way since nothing said we couldn't.

Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, text on Cure card for one?

"...choose a character at your location."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You've been playing it correctly. Don't add restrictions that aren't on the card. Let the cards tell you what they do, just remember that you can't resolve an encounter for someone else; so you can't ever play a card that succeeds, acquires, defeats, or evades for someone else.

Now, with that being said, the Cure spell DOES have a location restriction. Read the cards carefully. The rules don't tell you what the cards can do...the cards tell you what they can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question: I suppose the Codex can be used to help a character in another location, because you don't acquire the boon for them, but merely add a die to an acquisition roll, like a blessing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
I suppose the Codex can be used to help a character in another location, because you don't acquire the boon for them, but merely add a die to an acquisition roll, like a blessing, right?
There are lots of Codices, which one do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
A related question: I suppose the Codex can be used to help a character in another location, because you don't acquire the boon for them, but merely add a die to an acquisition roll, like a blessing, right?

No, the Codex item can only help on your check, because that is explicit in the card:

Codex wrote:
Discard this card to add 1 die to your check to acquire a boon.

If it says your check, it is just your check.
If is says a check, it is any check.
If it says a character at your location it is you or anyone else at your location.
If it says another character at your location it is anyone at your location except you.
If it says a character at another location it can't be your or anyone else at your location.

I made a guide that might be helpful to you. It has examples of cards and how to understand them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Well, text on Cure card for one?

"...choose a character at your location."

And that was the obvious thing I was missing. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it doesn't say that on mine (french version) thanks for the clarification!
Your guide is great btw!

Is there a list with all the card texts, to check in case of doubt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Your guide is great btw!

Not that I know of, but maybe we can work on something, if Paizo is ok with it. I will check with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Your guide is great btw!

And that is the reason why I NEVER buy translater games, very often thus kind of subtility is lost in translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
Kris wrote:
Your guide is great btw!

And that is the reason why I NEVER buy translater games, very often thus kind of subtility is lost in translation.

That's odd. I wouldn't think a 2nd-person possessive preposition (I think I phrased that properly) would be a subtle distinction that could be lost in translation easily. It's a pretty clear and important bit of information...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
IKerensky wrote:
Kris wrote:
Your guide is great btw!

That's odd. I wouldn't think a 2nd-person possessive preposition (I think I phrased that properly) would be a subtle distinction that could be lost in translation easily. It's a pretty clear and important bit of information...
It depends on the translators, the editors, and the quality checkers.

If not for issues in translation, we wouldn't have things like "All your base are belong to us" and "Somebody set up us the bomb."

And not just that, but sometimes typos happen with data entry and reading errors happen when people are involved. The person reading the card to translate it may not have even read all the words because they were having to rush through so many cards, and in doing so, the brain skips out on certain words, especially if you already assume the flow of words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.