20 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: game with lots of scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I want to introduce some people to hex and counter wargaming. To do so, I want something that will do more than just one or two battles (they are more familiar with miniatures wargaming, where you use a set of rules for lots of differenct scenarios).

My preferred periods are ancients (late Republican/early Imperial Rome, Alexander, Punic wars), medieval (12th century - 15th century Europe), and Napoleonics.

Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Great Battles of History will get you the most scenarios, but the rules
are different enough between major sets that you might want to limit
yourself to just the SPQR-based games. SPQR itself has something like
50 scenarios, once you start digging into all the stuff in expansions and
C3i issues.

For the medievals, I'd probably suggest Men of Iron Series, but it's
a lot less rich in scenarios - three boxed games as of now though, each
with a half dozen, so it's a fair amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
calandale wrote:
Great Battles of History will get you the most scenarios, but the rules
are different enough between major sets that you might want to limit
yourself to just the SPQR-based games. SPQR itself has something like
50 scenarios, once you start digging into all the stuff in expansions and
C3i issues.

Was actually my first thought, and it has got me to dig out my old copy of the great battles pc games (which has difficulties with a non-Win95 OS, hmm...). Seems hard to get hold of here though.

Quote:

For the medievals, I'd probably suggest Men of Iron Series, but it's
a lot less rich in scenarios - three boxed games as of now though, each
with a half dozen, so it's a fair amount.

Not familiar with this, I'll take a look, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
For the old computer games, you might want to look into DosBox....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
calandale wrote:
For the old computer games, you might want to look into DosBox....

Nah, my edition requires windows. Crashes under Wine, and in the same way under XP (with win95 compatibility). Right now I'm installing Win98SE (because I know for a fact that it will work under that OS - it's what I had when I bought the games) in a VM - never thought I'd ever say that again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I infer that you are looking for tactical games?

You didn't actually say that but when you mention "battles" it can be assumed I think.

I just bought a copy of Imperium Romanum II It is ancient Rome, has heaps of scenarios (34 I think) but probably isn't an introductory game.

What was I thinking? Will post this anyway. Shame to waste all that typing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
it has got me to dig out my old copy of the great battles pc games (which has difficulties with a non-Win95 OS, hmm...). Seems hard to get hold of here though.

Works in wine (tested with 1.5.25) in the version you can buy as digital download from http://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition

It may be hard to obtain (OOP), but you and your friends could split the difference by playing Lost Battles. It is not hex-and-counter, but plays on a board of 5x4 tiles. The deluxe boardgame edition comes with counters, but originally it was played with miniatures.
The wiki page "Lost Battles" shows the list of scenarios and AARs, many with photos.
If gaming on a PC is an option, you could buy the original book, which includes a slightly older version of the rules, or the just the full-color rule/scenario book and charts (available for £22 including world-wide shipping from http://fifthcolumngames.co.uk/LBpreorder.html) and use one of the two Vassal modules. The beta3 module from the Yahoo page uses tiles and counters from the deluxe board game, I would recommend using this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mmm...along similar lines (though smaller in count), Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291
comes with eleven scenarios, with each having its own feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
I want to introduce some people to hex and counter wargaming. To do so, I want something that will do more than just one or two battles (they are more familiar with miniatures wargaming, where you use a set of rules for lots of differenct scenarios).

........and Napoleonics.

Suggestions?

For Napoleonics I would suggest for excitement, relative simplicity and a fairly wide range of battles Jours de Gloire Series

It would be tempting to suggest some other older classics but these are new, in print, have modern production values, not that expensive. Postage is cheap anyway. They are magazine games.

Aspern-Essling 1809 Is probably too big for the system but Fuentes de Onoro 1811 and Almeida et Bussaco 1810 are great. La Bérézina 1812 looks great although I haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Battles Deluxe has the most scenarios of any tactical ancients game series, and is fairly simple to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
ThomasAH wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
it has got me to dig out my old copy of the great battles pc games (which has difficulties with a non-Win95 OS, hmm...). Seems hard to get hold of here though.

Works in wine (tested with 1.5.25) in the version you can buy as digital download from http://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition

Damn, I did do some searching (while trying to find clues to compatibility) and turned up nothing. Should have gone to Gog, I've bought stuff from there before (and recently, too). Many thanks.

-edit- and yes, it works perfectly. Can't thank you enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre by GMT is a simple card-driven counter battle game based loosely on Napoleonic era armies. But it is not historical (i.e. does represent any particular battles), and the rules are not typical hex-and-counter. It does not use a CRT like many wargames do.

But as a gateway game, I guess it is okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's always Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics. Of course, these are more like "hex and block", but since the blocks are not used for fog of war, they are basically really thick counters! Between the base game in each series and all of the expansions, there are dozens of scenarios. Great fun, can be played in teams, and the rules are quite accessible.

Also - these games look great set up on a table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Also - these games look great set up on a table!

Yes, indeed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite in the key periods of interest, but the Musket & Pike Battle Series fits your requirements to a T otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
leroy43 wrote:
Not quite in the key periods of interest, but the Musket & Pike Battle Series fits your requirements to a T otherwise.

Yeah, I was wondering if the jump from late medieval to Napoleonic
was all that intentional. M&P is so good, it's hard not to want
to include it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ptala Oqipo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

A bit off topic: I wanted to like this game — I wanted to play this game, actually — but was so put off by the impracticality of the small counters (and how long it took to find the right ones for the scenario, and how impossible it was to read the information on them, how impossible to move them with human-sized hands, or not knock them over, or not have them fly out of place at a mere sneeze, say) that I mentally designated it 'unplayable' and physically consigned it to the bottom of the stack. Those who have been in the hobby longer than I have and have adapted to what I'd call woeful play conditions may be able to see a delightful game through a bramble of unmanageability, but I personally wouldn't recommend the experience to anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Eioua wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

A bit off topic: I wanted to like this game — I wanted to play this game, actually — but was so put off by the impracticality of the small counters (and how long it took to find the right ones for the scenario, and how impossible it was to read the information on them, how impossible to move them with human-sized hands, or not knock them over, or not have them fly out of place at a mere sneeze, say) that I mentally designated it 'unplayable' and physically consigned it to the bottom of the stack. Those who have been in the hobby longer than I have and have adapted to what I'd call woeful play conditions may be able to see a delightful game through a bramble of unmanageability, but I personally wouldn't recommend the experience to anyone.

It's pretty much par for the course for more detailed hex and counter games,
in component aspects. I'll say this though - it pushes the total amount
of information that the format can present fairly close to my limit.
There are days when I am simply not willing to deal with the number
of informational counters and how the extra-long pieces end up aligning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
calandale wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering if the jump from late medieval to Napoleonic
was all that intentional. M&P is so good, it's hard not to want
to include it.

Was just in a bit of a hurry and rattling off the big periods - I'll take a look at this too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.