United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb

So let's suppose, in a completely hypothetical situation and not in a real and totally embarrassing PBF blunder, a Hexer declares he is using Plague Cloud, but we realize that none of the hexed monsters are actually in his line of sight.

There are two ways I can imagine handling this.

1. Since the attack has no targets, Plague Cloud was not a legal action to take in this situation, and we should rewind to just before Plague Cloud was declared.

2. Since Plague Cloud is not an attack action itself, but rather an action that grants an attack, declaring it is legal, but we only execute the legal parts of skill, which in this case is just spending an action and burning three fatigue, but doing nothing else (since both effects require monsters to be targeted by the attack).

Community vote! How would you handle this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the second option may be the RAW way to go, I would rewind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing competitively for money? No?
Then just rewind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would depend upon the general ethos of the group. In general, I'm inclined to let someone take something back if they immediately notice it does not really work as intended so long as there hasn't been any information revealed that would inform an alternative choice. However, if I'm happy to play tight if that's they way the group rolls. So, I'd allow a take back unless inconsistent with how the game has played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The skill doesn't have hexed monsters in LOS as a condition of activation. I'm with option 2 as far as the rules go, but would allow a redo in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is a completely hypothetical situation and I have absolutely no bias at all, I would allow a rewind

I mean, if someone tried to do that in the tabletop version and then started looking at everything and realized 'oh duh I can't actually target anything' then everyone would have a good chuckle about it and the player would choose a different action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adny Riik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
2. Since Plague Cloud is not an attack action itself, but rather an action that grants an attack, declaring it is legal, but we only execute the legal parts of skill, which in this case is just spending an action and burning three fatigue, but doing nothing else (since both effects require monsters to be targeted by the attack).
this brings the question of how you interpret the skill (maybe this is already somewhere, but i did not see it)?
Plague Cloud clearly has one target (each monster adjacent to it is hexed), and has no limitation on LoS to it. Then the attack targets all hexed monster in LoS.

nevermind... after reading this:
Justin Kemppainen wrote:

Plague Cloud targets each hexed monster with an attack, and there is a sort of recursive loop that ensures that each monster adjacent to a hexed monster is also hexed (and thus becomes a target) prior to the dice being rolled
all monsters on the map would be hexed and Carthos would proceed to rolling the X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.