William Wu
United States
Walnut
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple games with the starter set and I can definitely see the potential as a light to medium game with booster packs mixed in. My first game was with the pre-defined learning game while the second game we decided to draft 3 characters each. Storm is easily one of the best early hero characters. With the starter set it comes down to just having a few blockers out and buying up all the hero dice fastest. I've watched the Watch it Played and more recently the Dice Tower play-through. With more characters and better synergy the game will have more strategic choices.

I definitely think for experienced gamers the starter set can't give an accurate feel for the game..its just to simplistic without more choices and characters.

The quality of dice is definitely a bit below average. Some of my dice the paint wasn't printed properly and show signs of wear and tear. Though for the price, you can't really expect much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrage wrote:
The quality of dice is definitely a bit below average. Some of my dice the paint wasn't printed properly and show signs of wear and tear. Though for the price, you can't really expect much better.

This is not good to hear and after seeing a few of the videos showing us how it was played and how much they enjoyed it I am left to wonder why they did not mention such a issue? Hmmm, I have said that the price point will be a huge draw for this game (along with the theme) and while I fully stand behind my statement let me also point out that the quality of these dice will also play into how well this game does as well.

Yes, some can and some will overlook the quality of the dice however IF this becomes more and more of a problem it will take a toll. I hope that Wizkids has replacement die available and ready as this is a problem they have had with Quarriors and one would have had hoped they would have had a tighter handle on. Sad to hear really as I still have high hopes for this game but am now aware I may have to be sending dice back for replacement and while it is nice to know that a company will replace said items, it is also a hassle to finally get said die that you were looking forward to using only to find it is messed up and has to be sent back to said company and await its return. By all means not the end of the world as we know it however it is a problem that Wizkids is aware of and has faced in that of their other dice game, Quarriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the "solution" for replacement dice is just to buy a whole lot of booster packs. If you have more than four of a character's die the. You have replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
johnwiser wrote:
This is not good to hear and after seeing a few of the videos showing us how it was played and how much they enjoyed it I am left to wonder why they did not mention such a issue?

Wizkids probably made sure that the quality of the dice they sent out to reviewers were top notch. They care about more what the vocal minority say to what the masses think (as long as they're making the money).

To be honest, I'm not surprised. I thought the quality of my Quarrior dice were extremely sub-standard. Worst I have in any of my games. And for a game that's all about the dice, that's inexcusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwiser wrote:
Hrage wrote:

This is not good to hear and after seeing a few of the videos showing us how it was played and how much they enjoyed it I am left to wonder why they did not mention such a issue?

Im hoping this is an isolated batch. ALl the reviews i have seen said they are better quality than quarriors (what ever that means)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned earlier, my guess is you will have multiples of the dice. Unlike Quarriors, you'll likely be buying boosters. Possibly in quantity. And though the cards will have varying grades of rarity, the dice will not. Imagine owning a card that you cannot use because you don't have the dice? My guess is there will be MANY multiples of the dice out there due to the infrastructure of the release.

That being said, I agree that a disconcerting percentage of my Quarriors dice have sub-par faces. Still, it's not like the game becomes unplayable.

I love Quarriors. Yeah, the luck can get you. And sometimes it's frustrating, but it *is* a dice game. This is the same element that many of my friends enjoy about the game.

Dice Masters seems to be a very refined Quarriors. I played Magic from the begining and left the game as the Fallen Empires expansion was released. Sold all my moxes, acestral recalls, icy manipulators and black lotus' a long, long time ago. No desire to spend the money again.

Dice masters brings so very many strategic elements of Magic to its mecahnics. In fact, many of the cards remind me of specific Magic cards. Which is a great thing.

I'm very much looking forward to the game. My son and I will likely go to tournaments if I can get one or two going. I think magic players will gravitate towards this game naturally as long as they are not put off by the random factor that dice brings to the game. it's a double edged sword. Unlike Quarriors, there are enough strategic decisions in Dice masters that there could conceivably be a "better player" all things being equal. This alone is great. Much play is needed to see if this holds true.

Can't wait for the sets to come out. Me and my magic friends are all fathers now. And long since sold our cards in favor of a mortgage and a family. But this game looks to rekindle that sense of gameplay without the need for endlessly buying cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wu
United States
Walnut
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the dice aren't the best but its not that big of a deal to me. For the price of the starter and boosters its acceptable to me.

I'm sure everyone will have multiples of the dice so replacing them won't be a big deal. The only thing that may be a concern would be the sidekick dice. I dont know if they would come in boosters.

Its not going to be as heavy as netrunner or magic but I think it will still be a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my personal experience with Wizkid dice:

(a) There are bound to be problems with quality.
(b) Getting replacements or indeed any kind of effective customer support will be impossible.

Note I say this is based on my own experience, I know others have had better luck. I'm still waiting for replacements for 'melted' and broken dice in a Quarriors set I bought in January. I always get an response to emails, but absolutely nothing other than that seems to be happening.

Weird thing is that I keep buying their games, because when all is well they are SO GOOD.

I suppose what I am saying is that it's definitely possible that you'll experience a problem with dice, that my own experience has taught me that getting replacements is a frustrating and fruitless endevour and that those two things shouldn't stop anyone going for what is going to be a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrage wrote:
I played a couple games with the starter set and I can definitely see the potential as a light to medium game with booster packs mixed in. My first game was with the pre-defined learning game while the second game we decided to draft 3 characters each. Storm is easily one of the best early hero characters. With the starter set it comes down to just having a few blockers out and buying up all the hero dice fastest. I've watched the Watch it Played and more recently the Dice Tower play-through. With more characters and better synergy the game will have more strategic choices.

I definitely think for experienced gamers the starter set can't give an accurate feel for the game..its just to simplistic without more choices and characters.

how did you get a copy so early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.