BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Painting miniatures noob...solid colors and what do I need? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Schmo
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well, I know I don't have the time to do a proper paint job, but I'd still like to possibly paint a couple of the unit types a solid color to differentiate them on the board. The Archers and Guards look pretty similar on the board at first glance, as do the Viper Legion/Harvesters. I thought it might be nice to maybe paint them different colors.

Could I just use a spray paint and hit them quick or do I need to use brush paints? Which primer is safe? I can't find it now, but I read a thread where there were some issues with chemical reactions. Any suggestions on maybe which figures you'd paint what colors and maybe which you'd leave stock? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a spray paint brand called "Tamiya" from a hobby store. While your there, ask about a type of brush paint called a wash (such as Games Workshops Devlan Mud)

Spay, dry, wash, dry done.

If you want to practice brush painting, paint the bases black, it'll look great.

Don't worry about priming, but ask your hobby store guy about a product called testors dullcote. Very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest scrubbing your figures with an old toothbrush, some dish washing detergent and water before painting. Often plastic figures have some type of mold release agent on them which inhibits paint bonding to the plastic.

Also, at Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot type stores you can buy Krylon brand spray paints. They have a line specifically for use on plastics.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

You'll get more paint for the dollars spent than you will on Tamiya or other hobby brands. Make sure you are getting 'flat' and not gloss though, especially if you intend to use a wash after the spray coat to bring out the details.

That spray could act as your primer coat.

I would consider also buying a flat clear coat to help protect the figures. A gloss coat can be applied first to give better protection, and then hit it with the flat to get rid of the shine.

Pretty important no matter which way you go, make sure each coat dries and cures before applying the next. Also, weather conditions can cause problems when you use any spray paints. Too much humidity for example can leave you with a grainy coat or lead to 'frosting' on a clear coat.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schmo
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Cracky wrote:
Get a spray paint brand called "Tamiya" from a hobby store. While your there, ask about a type of brush paint called a wash (such as Games Workshops Devlan Mud)

Spay, dry, wash, dry done.

If you want to practice brush painting, paint the bases black, it'll look great.

Don't worry about priming, but ask your hobby store guy about a product called testors dullcote. Very useful.

So in this case you're using the spray paint as a primer and then covering it in the wash? Or the wash is translucent? You said ask about dullcote, but don't say when I'd use it or what it will do. I appreciate the help, but it's kinda hard to discern what this method would achieve.

I like the idea about that bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schmo
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
jakecarol wrote:
I would suggest scrubbing your figures with an old toothbrush, some dish washing detergent and water before painting. Often plastic figures have some type of mold release agent on them which inhibits paint bonding to the plastic.

Also, at Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot type stores you can buy Krylon brand spray paints. They have a line specifically for use on plastics.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

You'll get more paint for the dollars spent than you will on Tamiya or other hobby brands. Make sure you are getting 'flat' and not gloss though, especially if you intend to use a wash after the spray coat to bring out the details.

That spray could act as your primer coat.

I would consider also buying a flat clear coat to help protect the figures. A gloss coat can be applied first to give better protection, and then hit it with the flat to get rid of the shine.

Pretty important no matter which way you go, make sure each coat dries and cures before applying the next. Also, weather conditions can cause problems when you use any spray paints. Too much humidity for example can leave you with a grainy coat or lead to 'frosting' on a clear coat.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yes, from the reading I did I planned on washing them. I also like the Walmart option as I'm not trying to spend a lot on this.

So you're saying:

-Flat Krylon as a primer and works as my color
-then Wash
-then Gloss clear coat
-then Flat clear coat

?

Alternatively you're saying I could use a Gloss color if I'm not using a wash...or is flat still recommended?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A wash just does not work as well over gloss paints. If you do use a gloss spray, I would use the flat clear coat before the wash so the wash will adhere where you want it.

Testors Dull Coat is good, but again, Krylon and other companies make much bigger cans at better prices for clear coat...

You can actually make your own washes too. I usually get a bottle of pelikan ink (get water soluble) in the color I want (and use sepia for almost everything). A bottle at Micahel's or another craft store is usually pretty reasonably priced and will last a LONG time. WalMart may even have it in their craft section. To make a wash from the ink I take a small cup (like the kind that comes on top of a liquid medicine bottle like Nyquil). I generally start with the cup 1/3 o 1/2 filled with water (depending on how much I intend to use). Add 3-5 drops of the ink to the water, then add about twice that amount of clear Future floor wax (which is basically an acrylic). You can add a drop more of ink at a time if the mix is too light. A little ink goes a long way though.

Use an old soft bristle paint brush and slop it on the figs. It should run off the high spots and pool in the crevasses. (make sure you put down some old news paper to do this over and to let the figs dry on). Get most of the fluid off the brush or use a bit of tissue paper to soak up any where too much is pooling or you did not want it to be. When it dries you can always do another layer (it will look a lot lighter when dry than when wet if you mixed it right).

You can honestly do some great work with craft paints and regular spray paints without spending a ton on products created just for miniatures painting.

These 15mm hummers are painted with cheap tan craft paint then given a wash as described above (then windows/other details painted) then a fast drybrush. You can see how the wash brings out details like the hinges and panels.

Those were about 15 minutes of work each, not counting for drying times. They'll never win prizes, but they look good on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schmo
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
You had made the wash sound optional when you said this:

"You'll get more paint for the dollars spent than you will on Tamiya or other hobby brands. Make sure you are getting 'flat' and not gloss though, especially if you intend to use a wash after the spray coat to bring out the details."

So I thought that maybe if I wasn't using a wash that I might want to go with gloss for some reason or it could save a step.

I'm just going to do solid colors most likely, maybe paint one feature or the base, if even that, so I don't know if doing a wash for detail is even worth it. Not sure what that effect it has. If it's a simple way to make even a solid color have some character than that sounds good to me. If it's not adding shadows or anything and just allows me to see the original mold it's probably not going to be worth it.

You have to keep in mind that much of this is greek to me and I don't know what is being used when to achieve what effect, so I'm a bit lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schmo
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I see you update with pics, thanks, those look nice. I might go that far if I find I'm enjoying this and it's not taking too much time.

What is craft paint exactly? I just want to make sure I get the right stuff. I might go to walmart later to look for Plano boxes and krylon and see if they have the wash and these craft paints and some brushes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.