Vlad Ponomarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
I play campaign with my friend, and yesterday we played Interlude 1 - The Overlord revealed.
I was playing as Overlord, and he played as 4 heroes. I lost, but if i had one more turn, i would win. In my last turn, i forgot that monsters can have 2 Move actions and failed to block the altar of cunning with them. That led to him closing 2 portals in one turn and getting the victory while Zahareth was standing in one space literally to the exit with shadow rune in his hands.

I'd like more to deprive his party of a powerful rune, than to get it myself.

I don't want to give the Shadow Rune to his Mad Carthos, he's already overpowered a bit with his blast ability. What should we do? Replay the session, replay the last turn, take the victory, or leave it to him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what yu said, your friend didn't cheat or tricked you.
His victory isn't stolen.

The one you make a mistake is you. So ... assume.

I too lost as the Overlord some encounter. I must be one of the few overlord that lost 'A cardinal in Distress' with the cardinal leaving without a wound. (Forgot that zombie could spawn into the Library.), so yeah, it can happen to everyone.

Now we aren't referees for you and your friend. If he allows you the rematch, cool for you, he he doesn't, then proceed with act 2 and hold no grudges.

Today you make a big mistake, tomorrow it could be his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our hero party made some poor choices in our second turn last night (Wyrm rumor) and spent the rest of the game playing catchup. We still won at the end. But these things don't always balance out in one quest, but they usually do over a campaign. You might win one evening on the dice alone, but you're also likely to loose another evening for the same reason.

We play for the variety and story and we play for the long game (campaigns). So we enjoy the dice randomness to mix it up and back 'n forth of fairness between OL and Heroes - works for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try to convince him to replay the quest, but I'd personally leave it as it is. If he refuses to replay it, I don't think you really have a leg to stand on as far as arguing that it should. It's not like you got a fundamental quest rule wrong that would have altered the outcome, it's that you didn't use all of your capabilities to their fullest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mcfrei wrote:
I was playing as Overlord, and he played as 4 heroes.

He was playing as 4 heroes. He was keeping track of abilities and stuff that it's normally down to 4 different people to track. I guarantee you that at some point in that quest at least once, on one of his four characters, he forgot to do something he could have done. And that may well have influenced the outcome in a different direction.

If you're going to insist on replaying a quest every time someone realizes that there was something different they could have done that they forgot about, you're in for a long campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Ponomarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Thank you for your opinions, good sirs.

So, David Aubert +3 - assume the result.
Major Havok, Darren Nakamura - leave as is.
Dean Love, you were right, there were skips from him, but i pointed them to him. I was trying to help him, maybe i should not?
So in general i think i'll make a copy of rules for him and stop helping him and pointing at his flaws, and that will make for the rune loss.

When you are playing as Overlord, do you tell heroes what they forgot about their abilities, if it's in their favor? Do you allow them to rollback a turn after it's finished? What is in general your attitude to players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mcfrei wrote:

When you are playing as Overlord, do you tell heroes what they forgot about their abilities, if it's in their favor? Do you allow them to rollback a turn after it's finished? What is in general your attitude to players?

I'll point out some things if it's obvious they've forgot them. And they do likewise for me. But that's stuff that they would obviously do - ie. remember to use this skill for an extra damage. Our group wouldn't point out to me that I hadn't moved the monsters a second time to block a certain area (they'd assume I had a plan or reason to leave those monsters where they were).

We allow stuff to be rolled back up to the point that dice are rolled or that hidden information is revealed (eg. Overlord card played / search token flipped). Only exception to this is if the hidden information is purely to the detriment of the player (eg. we'll allow the Overlord to say he's playing Critical Hit, put it down, then change his mind and take it back in to his hand - hidden info was revealed, but it's only to his detriment so we allow it).

Again, in this situation, it's nice you're pointing out stuff to the heroes, but you're not catching everything, not by a long shot. You can't even remember how many move actions your own monsters have so I doubt you're always catching every possible option for four heroes. We play with three hero players and even then I sometimes spot things all three of them together don't spot.

There's a certain balance to be had here for sure, between turning it in to a game of remembering to do everything vs actually making interesting decisions. But in this case, I'd swing that balance towards the other player. He is controlling four heroes, a job that, in terms of game design, is meant to be done by four people. As the Overlord, you're just doing one person's job (albeit a slightly harder one). I'd have some sympathy were the situation reversed - eg. your hero player got your Lieutenant down to just one health before he left the map, and then realised he'd forgotten to use the Treasure Hunter's +1 damage if not adjacent to another hero skill. Probably still wouldn't allow the result to be changed though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mcfrei wrote:

Depends on how new the hero player is. For everybody, I will correct any rules mistakes they make. If they use a skill, I will point out when they forget something about it.

For experienced players, that's about it. For inexperienced players, I will also point out things they could have done. I won't rewind for them to do those, usually.

We don't ever rollback unless a mistake was made or if a decision was changed before dice were rolled. After dice are rolled, it's set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcfrei wrote:

When you are playing as Overlord, do you tell heroes what they forgot about their abilities, if it's in their favor?

It depends. Not if it's in their favor or not, but if the effect is mandatory or not.
For example, if someone has an effet allowing him to heal a the beginning of the turn, and forgot o heal, I point this to it.
But if someone has a skill that allows him to heal and he forgot to use it. Not my problem. I'm the overlord, I'm EVIL.

When heroes discuss the strategy, I step in, if I saw they will use something against the rule, saying 'no it doesn't work that way, if you do this here what will really happen. And I answer all rule question they may have.

But I would never,never help the heroes to defeat me by pointing something they forgot ... At least until the end of game.

mcfrei wrote:
Do you allow them to rollback a turn after it's finished? What is in general your attitude to players?

But not too evil. Everyone made little mistake. So 'reasonnable rollback' is granted.
One common mistake our necromancer do is to summon his reanimate, attack with it, then proceed with his second action.
I usually say : 'You decided to pass your second action when you activated the reanimate, sorry. Then allowing him to cancel the activation of the reanimate (Or leaving it as it is if it rolled an 'X').
If someone forgot to use a skill and it's still the player's turn, I allow the use of the skill.
If it's my turn, an I began exploiting the fact the skill was forgotten, too bad for them. Evil you see.

Again, the one you should discuss rollback with is your friend.
Agree about what can allow a rollback for both of you before playing and then go on with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Ponomarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
When we play with new players, we use "rollback tokens". You spend it to rollback the game, and new players get 3, those who played one time - 2, others - 1. that's for the whole session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.