Popular Tags: [View All]
Aingeru Malkav
Spain
Bilbao
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
mb
Some friends played recently and one of them tried this one:

As the Bristol had higher altitude limit and gasoil capacity it just keep flying, minimizing consum, until the other had no more gasoil...

Is this correct? It is a viable strategy or there is any way to "fight" it?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outlasting the other guy is a possible strategy and not necessarily used in exclusion to others. However, planes can shoot at enemy planes that are at a higher altitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aingeru Malkav
Spain
Bilbao
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
mb
But as far as I understood planes with maximum altitude 4 could not recover altitude 4 if they loose it. And you can only shoot to enemies that are in an altitude just above or below you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with your first sentence; there is no reason why a plane that decreases altitude could't regain it later. The second sentence is true; a plane can shoot at opponents at their own altitude, or one level higher or one level lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:
I don't agree with your first sentence; there is no reason why a plane that decreases altitude could't regain it later. The second sentence is true; a plane can shoot at opponents at their own altitude, or one level higher or one level lower.

There's a rule in the version of Blue Max that I have that explicitly states that aircraft may begin the game at their highest altitude level, but once they drop below that altitude, then cannot regain it. The explanation in the rules is that it would take too long to achieve the max altitude again that it would be beyond the scope of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, that rule is there. I just read it.

It is funny how achieving max altitude is beyond the scope of the game, and yet it is "in scope" to have an altitude level that can only be achieved when entering the map.

I don't think there is a "rules solution" to this.

I am not sure I'd like to play a game with a player that would seriously resort to flying about waiting for a fuel to run out, but if that is the case the "solution" would be to not dive unless he does it first. And if you already did, well just land or exit the map or whatever and let him win.

I think the thematic problem (and solution) here is that a Bristol plane would not "win" anything by flying about until everyone leaves or crashes. A plane would have an objective, and ignoring enemy fighters while loitering about would not be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Blue Max: World War I Air Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.