Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Cluster missiles and deadeye on cracken with munitions failsafe. Add Dutch bonus points for a ps9 squad leader.....

Cracken fires at the hardest target via deadeye, if it looks like he will hit, use a target lock to reroll your hits, give a free action out, if you had to use your TL, give the action to Dutch, who then gives you a new target lock... If not, to anyone else.... Then second cluster missile volley, use your target lock to reroll hits, ensuring a miss if needed, pass action #2 to somebody, if you didn't use Dutch and lost your target lock, do it here to regain lock for next turn....

Since you missed twice, munitions failure kicks in, and you still have your cluster missiles...

Cracken now hands out two actions per round in the combat phase unless you get unlucky and hit.

You're spending 24 points on a ship you plan not to attack with to do this, but hey.... You can do it! I'm not sure why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No FAQ has been released for Wave 4 yet, but I'm pretty sure Cluster Missiles is going to count as one attack for the purposes of Cracken's ability. Nice idea, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a crazy scheme. Surely in the long run you would be better off just doing the damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
ironman99 wrote:
Sounds like a crazy scheme. Surely in the long run you would be better off just doing the damage?

This. I like the concept of using Cracken's ability twice in a round, but taking Cluster missiles just to do it is bleh . It's like tacking on 4 extra points onto his pilot ability. If Munitions Failure kicks in for 1 of the missed Cluster missile shots, then this combo might see some use.

The more I see Cracken, the more I just see a mini-Garven or Dutch. It'll be cute, and Biggs will give him some cover, but I see him getting offed a round earlier than Garven, and 2 rounds earlier than Dutch.

I am curious about how you've presented combo'ing Dutch and Cracken, though. It makes me think, could you use Swarm tactics + Cracken + Dutch + R7T1 together? I.e. Dutch moves, acquire's lock + gives Cracken a lock. Dutch fires first via swarm tactics, spends his TL. Cracken fires with focus/TL, gives Dutch an "action". Dutch's action is to use R7T1 and re-acquire a new lock + boost, and give another pilot another target lock. End result: 4 "free" actions, Dutch ability 2x's, Cracken ability, R7-T1 boost. Am I doing this right? Can one use both the "TL" and "R7-T1" actions in the same turn, since they're both considered different "actions"? @_@
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Looks like you can do both r7-t1 and target lock, as r7-t1 uses the key wording seen with Dutch, acquire a tl and not perform the tl action. This is incidentally the reason for Dutch, and a p.s. 9 squad leader, as if indeed cracken first cluster missile shot gives a free action, you can target lock action, and use Dutch to then acquire another target lock in the same round.

So with two actions, you could have Dutch do r7-t1 and then later do a tl, and that's cool. One of the best things about cracken's abilities is that it's not keyed to action bar actions unlike everything else (squad leader, lando. Ptl...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
To me, the best part of Airen's ability is that it proc's on simply attacking. Thus, it's not subject to action-denial from blocking. It also does not suffer from stress from a k-turn. If you attack, you get the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.