brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Get your Grog on at Origins this summer!

GrogHeads.com and GAMA are teaming up to bring wargaming back to Origins this summer with the creation of the GrogHeads Central Command. This new program is designed to engage wargamers in a variety of ways, but most importantly, by getting wargames back on gaming tables at Origins.

Our partners in this endeavor include Against the Odds Magazine, 1A Games, Lost Battalion Games, Collins Epic Wargames, Omega Games, and Columbia Games – all of whom will be present together in the exhibit hall, and sponsoring games in the gaming hall. And we’ve still got room to add a vendor or two, so expect this list to grow!

Gaming events run through the GrogHeads Central Command are all ticketed events that will be played in the gaming hall in their own dedicated area. Every event run through the GrogHeads Central Command includes at least one prize. Every participant in every game also gets a 5% discount card for any purchase from the vendors in the GrogHeads Central Command group in the exhibit hall. Vendors will even allow players to ‘stack’ several of these coupons for 15-20% off of a purchase! Games will include head-to-head and team battles, as well as a few “come learn to play” games with new products from the participating vendors.

In addition to the gaming events, each of the vendors will also host an evening session in the gaming hall, with either an opportunity to “Play with the Designer” or a Q&A on a game series. Non-gaming sessions will also be held in the GrogHeads Central Command in the gaming hall, but are not ‘prize’ events. These vendor-centric seminars are not the only seminars in the GrogHeads Central Command, as there will also be panels on wargame design and uses of games for training and learning. And don’t forget to stick around on Saturday evening for the GrogHeads raffle – every purchase, every game you play, every demo you try with the companies in the GrogHeads Central Command program gets you a raffle ticket for some great prizes.

Finally, the GrogHeads Central Command will also be hosting the Staff Wargaming Team, who had previously bunkered in up at the Origins War College. These innovative “team” wargames put players in the roles of military staff officers, charged with planning and executing a complex mission using a simplified version of the US Army’s planning process - and the coaches include current and former Army staff members and trainers. The Staff Wargaming Team events are all prize events, but the real prize is the great experience of the team dynamic in the wargame.

Look for events in the Origins Program Guide that are tagged as “GrogHeads presents…” to identify the events in the GrogHeads Central Command program. Check back regularly as we may yet add a few more events. And be on the lookout for the GrogHeads Central Command in the exhibit hall to support the wargaming companies bringing the wargames back to Origins. See you at the show!

The GrogHeads forum to discuss your Origins plans >>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's what one of the staff wargaming exercises looks like during part of the exercise

What else can we tell you about the new GrogHeads Central Command at Origins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So which wargames are you thinking about doing? Just games from the companies listed? Recent? Classics?

This could make me turn back to Origins after pretty much writing it off.
Knowing the games scheduled in advance is key so that at least a few people will come prepared to play. Just someone willing to be taught a game is not worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kenstein wrote:
So which wargames are you thinking about doing? Just games from the companies listed? Recent? Classics?

For the Central Command gaming area, the games are all those being supported by vendors in the Central Command exhibit hall area, so you're looking at games from Columbia, Lost Battalion, 1A Games, Against The Odds, etc.

Those vendors are the ones who took the plunge on joining this program, and are the ones offering the prize support for game participants, as well as the 'extras' like the "play with the designer" sessions.

Unfortunately, Origins' website doesn't have the list of events up yet, or I'd link 'em all to you. Sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'll keep checking the Origins site and this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm back and forth about attending Origins. It'd be my first Origins, and I'd go for all five days to make it worth it (no point in driving almost seven hours from southern Ontario otherwise), and now that there are going to be grogs there too makes it all the more enticing. It's managing the finances for the trip with the wife that is the tricky bit, and being away and the end of the kids school year for that week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There have always been grogs there. We're just looking to give them a little more structure, and reward their participation with some prizes, and hope that it brings in a few more, and rewards the participating vendors with a couple more sales than they might've otherwise had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feel free to RSVP to the event on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/events/259426967563061/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more info about the Staff Wargaming team, including some videos of the exercises

http://grogheads.com/?p=4346
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Origins Events Listings for the GrogHeads Central Command

Note there are a few blank GMs. We have re-submitted the correct names to Origins; we're not going to leave anyone hanging!

Event# Prizes? Date/Time Length? Event Name................................................................ GM
3277....Yes....Thu 1pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: A Test of Mettle........................................ Paul Rohrbaugh
3739....Yes....Fri 2pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Circle of Fire (ATO)....
4044....Yes....Sat 10am...3....GrogHeads Presents: Circle of Fire (ATO)....
3596....Yes....Fri 10am...3....GrogHeads Presents: Columbia Games Block Wargaming........................
4045....Yes....Sat 10am...3....GrogHeads Presents: Columbia Games Block Wargaming........................
9229....No.... Thu 7pm....2....GrogHeads Presents: Flashpoint Campaigns Q&A with the Designers............ Snyder / Crandall
9433....No.... Fri 6pm....2....GrogHeads Presents: Games & Sims for Military Training Seminar............ Guillory / Sterrett
9424....Yes....Fri 3pm....2....GrogHeads Presents: Learn to Play Flashpoint Campaigns with the Designers....Snyder / Crandall
3217....Yes....Thu 11am...3....GrogHeads Presents: Orange Crush (Civil War in the Ukraine)................ Brant Guillory
3218....Yes....Fri 2pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Orange Crush (Civil War in the Ukraine)................ Brant Guillory
3916....No.... Fri 8pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Designer - Ranger!........................ Bill Gibbs
3465....No.... Thu 7pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Designer - Sergeants! Miniatures Game.... Lost Battalion Games
3917....No.... Fri 8pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Designer - Spearpoint 1943................ Byron Collins
3886....No.... Fri 7pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Play with the Publisher - Circle of Fire................ Steve Rawling
3031....Yes....Wed 3pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Ranger!................................................ Chris Pauquette
3564....Yes....Fri 9am....3....GrogHeads Presents: Ranger!................................................ Chris Pauquette
3024....Yes....Wed 2pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game............................ Vance Strickland
3178....Yes....Thu 10am...3....GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game............................ Vance Strickland
3740....Yes....Fri 2pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game............................ Vance Strickland
4007....Yes....Sat 9am....3....GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game............................ Vance Strickland
4143....Yes....Sat 1pm....4....GrogHeads Presents: Sergeants! Miniatures Game (Team Game)................ LBG / Vance Strickland
3278....Yes....Thu 1pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Spearpoint 1943........................................ JR Sharp
4181....Yes....Sat 2pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Spearpoint 1943........................................ JR Sharp
9402....Yes....Fri 10am...4....GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Battle From The Bulge................ Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
9605....Yes....Sat 10am...4....GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Battle From The Bulge................ Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
9214....Yes....Thu 2pm....4....GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm........ Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
9630....Yes....Sat 7pm....4....GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm........ Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
3025....Yes....Wed 2pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron....
3312....Yes....Thu 2pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron....
3597....Yes....Fri 10am...3....GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron....
4222....Yes....Sat 3pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron....
4416....Yes....Sun 10am...4....GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron (Team Game)....
9230....No.... Thu 7pm....3....GrogHeads Presents: Tide of Iron series Q&A with the Designers............ Bill Jaffe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a call from 1A Games within the past 45 minutes or so, and they have pulled out of Origins.

We will be talking with GAMA about what their plans are to replace one of our anchor booths in the Central Command.

Stay tuned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone out there planning on swinging by the Central Command for some wargaming?

edit: including the staff wargaming team?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I signed up for Ranger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about doing a day trip over, just to get an idea of the size and scope of the convention. I go to Gen Con every year, but have never been to Origins.

When do they post an Exhibit Hall map, so we can see what vendors will be there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
well, all the companies listed as show sponsors are going to be there - Mayfair, RGG, Zvezda, Stronghold, Decision, etc

The companies in the GrogHeads Central Command are
- Lost Battalion Games
- Columbia Games
- Collins Epic Wargames
- ATO / TPS
- Omega Games
- Collectors Showcase

Academy Games is going to be there, also

There's plenty more, but I don't know them all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We're setting up tomorrow and games start at 3pm - see you then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Staff Wargaming team and the Central Command are in the area labeled as "Command Post" in the exhibit hall book.

Look for the giant blue canopy with the camp net behind it along the gold drapery

All of our events are in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayonetbrant wrote:
Staff Wargaming team and the Central Command are in the area labeled as "Command Post" in the exhibit hall book.

Look for the giant blue canopy with the camp net behind it along the gold drapery

Something went really wrong today. GM's were no shows at several events today (i.e. Ranger and Sergeants). I wonder if there was confusion about where you are. Origins Staff handed out refunds to at least 5 of us due to the events not running.

Too bad cuz I think folks were genuinely excited about playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:

Something went really wrong today. GM's were no shows at several events today (i.e. Ranger and Sergeants). I wonder if there was confusion about where you are. Origins Staff handed out refunds to at least 5 of us due to the events not running.

Ranger! had to get canceled because the vendor had to cancel and was unable to come to the show.

Sergeants was re-scheduled for another day b/c the vendor (with the playing copy in their truck) was later arriving at the show than we anticipated.

We hated that the Wednesday games got messed up, and would've preferred not to even have them scheduled without having had games in hand, but GAMA was kind of pressuring us to spread our events over all 5 days to keep the space filled.

All we can do is offer profuse apologies and hope you'll swing by the Central Command area for one of the other games or "play with the designer" events.

The people playing Sergeants have all had a blast, and you should really see what's in the prize box they're giving away for each event - yowza!

We've got games of Sergeants (including a team game), Julius Caesar, Spearpoint 1943, and Circle of Fire all on for Saturday, plus 2 Staff Wargaming events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

Actually, on second thought - I'm wondering if you weren't caught in the Tabletop HQ snafu where no one told them that
Command Post = Central Command
and they were directing folks to some empty tables that our people knew nothing about. We found out about that late Wednesday night and got it straightened out ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

Ted - sorry again about the mixups the other day. It was fortuitous I ran into you today and great chatting with you a bit. I hope you had a great game of Distant Plain once y'all kicked it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Lizak
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Was looking forward to checking things out but showed up in the morning and saw the line to register on site was about a 3 hour wait so went to lunch, walked around looking at stuff outside the dealer area, and then went home. I saw the line had gone down considerably by the time I was getting ready to leave but I decided it wasn't worth paying $20 just to go in to spend money with the vendors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cincinnatus wrote:
Was looking forward to checking things out but showed up in the morning and saw the line to register on site was about a 3 hour wait so went to lunch, walked around looking at stuff outside the dealer area, and then went home. I saw the line had gone down considerably by the time I was getting ready to leave but I decided it wasn't worth paying $20 just to go in to spend money with the vendors.

We had to push back the start of yesterday's Spearpoint '43 game because there were players stuck in line. We just ended up running the event in 2 waves - the folks that showed up at 2 when the event was officially set to begin, and the folks that showed up at 330 after they got through the line they'd been in for 2 hours or so.

No idea what was making the line take so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayonetbrant wrote:
TedW wrote:

Ted - sorry again about the mixups the other day. It was fortuitous I ran into you today and great chatting with you a bit. I hope you had a great game of Distant Plain once y'all kicked it off.

Hi Brant,

No apologies necessary. Con was great fun and I appreciate what you are trying to do. Hopefully, next year will be even bigger and better!

Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:
TedW wrote:

Hi Brant,

No apologies necessary. Con was great fun and I appreciate what you are trying to do. Hopefully, next year will be even bigger and better!

Ted

And hopefully next year you bring 5 friends and come join us for a game or two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.