Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I just bought the 2nd edition copy of ED, and after reading through the rules, I have a few questions:

1- During the Role Selection Phase, when the leader selects the role, does the role they pick give them a +1 for the card itself?

2- What about the player who follows? Do they get to count the Leader's drafted card for boosting?

3- Do the following players who join the given role, boost the leader's use of the role (I'd assume not)?

4- Similar to #3, if the leader boosts the role, does it boost the apply for the following players too?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
1- During the Role Selection Phase, when the leader selects the role, does the role they pick give them a +1 for the card itself?

Yes.

scottatlaw wrote:
2- What about the player who follows? Do they get to count the Leader's drafted card for boosting?

No.

scottatlaw wrote:
3- Do the following players who join the given role, boost the leader's use of the role (I'd assume not)?

No.

scottatlaw wrote:
4- Similar to #3, if the leader boosts the role, does it boost the apply for the following players too?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wilson
United States
Maple Grove
MN
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unless I have been playing this wrong...

When the leader selects a role, they pull that card from the center. They can choose to boost the effect (for themselves) with symbols shown on permanent technologies, planets, and cards played from their hand. They do not get boosted from what other players do.

I am not sure exactly about your first question. We treat that card that is taken as the additional symbol. That is, I count the one I take from the center and add the two I play from my hand to have 3 of that symbol.

Other players do not get to count the card the leader pulled from the center or the leader's boost. They can choose to follow with symbols from permanent technologies, planets, and cards they play from their hand.

I will keep a pair of survey cards in my hand so that if someone else selects survey, I can use my two cards to get one planet on their turn. If I have a planet that has survey, I will keep one in my hand when choosing what to discard. This allows me to utilize their turn to get more planets and not having to select that as my role when my turn comes around. I am freed to do something else.

If I have planets that increase my hand size, I might hold onto 3 research cards to follow if someone goes research. I find that picking up various low level tech is very useful since those cards have multiple symbols on them in addition to their actions.

In these cases, when I am following, I am only counting the symbols I can generate from my hand or my displayed cards (like flipped planets). I am not counting anyone else's symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both, I really appreciate the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Hello! I just bought the 2nd edition copy of ED, and after reading through the rules, I have a few questions:

Thank you in advance for your help!

Karlis is right, you seem to have a slight misunderstanding of a basic premise. There is no direct interaction between players cards at this time. The cards you use only apply to you and no one else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.