Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Triangle Area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion is currently being reprinted and is not available. Should the expansions be purchased in order or does it really matter. Which expansions do you think are the best.

Are map pieces of some expansion used in later expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion order doesn't matter. Apart from requiring the base set, they are all self-inclusive.

The Trollfens and Lair of the Wyrm are mini-expansions, they don't really have a campaign arc and offer extras to a regular campaign.

Labyrinth of Ruin and Nerekhall are full expansions with their own campaign arc.

Mini-expansions are 2 heroes, 2 monster types. Big expansions are 4 heroes, 3-4 monster types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just starting, you don't need the full expansions (Labyrinth of Ruin/Nerekhall) unless you feel like you need to include all the hero/class combinations and all the available shop cards. The biggest thing that they bring is another full quest line, but there's no need to buy that until you play the first one and are sure you want to do another campaign.

The advice I've read the most often is to buy one of the mini-expansions (Trollfens/Lair of the Worm) with Trollfens having a better balance between the Overlord and the heroes. But having one of them is nice because it adds a couple things to incorporate into the actual gameplay. You gain Secret Rooms and Rumor Quests, both of which are good additions to the base quest.

Additionally, people suggest buying 1 of the lieutenants. There's some threads here summarizing most of them, or you can see the available ones here. You can get more if you like. They're relatively cheap ($6 - $10 from an online retailer) and add Threat and Plot Cards for the Overlord, giving them a little more interest and ability. Getting more than 1 (assuming you know which one you want to use) adds figures to the set, but not much else so shouldn't be considered a must-buy.

Lastly, the Conversion Kit is the first thing that you should buy. It's very cheap ($20) but adds the most content of anything. It brings in dozens of heroes and monsters to use.

And as the previous poster said, there's no need to buy any of them in any order. None of the expansions rely on having purchased the prior ones. They can add content which you can incorporate, but none of it is strictly necessary (other than the base game itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

Lastly, the Conversion Kit is the first thing that you should buy. It's very cheap ($20) but adds the most content of anything. It brings in dozens of heroes and monsters to use.

What's your opinion on the Conversion Kit if it isn't much cheaper than Labyrinth of Ruin?
The thing is I can't find the Conversion Kit anywhere in my country and ordering it would make it only 5$ cheaper than Labyrinth of Ruin. Is it still worth it?
Labyrinth on the other hand comes with new classes, monsters and heroes that could be used to enhance the variety in the base-game as well, besides containing a new campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
If you buy the conversion kit you would either have to have all the monster and hero figures of 1ed Descent or proxy these. Buying Labyrinth of Ruin would be way more useful I would say.

Have you finished the campaign from the base game already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

What's your opinion on the Conversion Kit if it isn't much cheaper than Labyrinth of Ruin?
The thing is I can't find the Conversion Kit anywhere in my country and ordering it would make it only 5$ cheaper than Labyrinth of Ruin. Is it still worth it?
Labyrinth on the other hand comes with new classes, monsters and heroes that could be used to enhance the variety in the base-game as well, besides containing a new campaign.

I'd still think so although then it would be a bit of a closer call.

For pure stuff added to the base campaign, the Conversion Kit has the most by far. It gives the hero players a huge variety of heroes to choose from at the beginning. And it gives the Overlord a ton of more options to choose from for any given quest. It's obviously not necessary, but I think it adds more than any other expansion item.

If you buy them, you can print out 3-D monster and hero tokens from a file someone else created which is here. That's the link for the monsters, the link for the heroes is on that page.

I just started a campaign and 3 of the 4 hero characters came from the Conversion Kit. They were all fine using the paper tokens but I purchased the miniatures off of EBay for them before the next quest. They were $10-$20 each and it was worth it to me. But it was by no means necessary and you definitely don't have to get the full set of heroes. And the monster tokens are just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidvD wrote:
If you buy the conversion kit you would either have to have all the monster and hero figures of 1ed Descent or proxy these. Buying Labyrinth of Ruin would be way more useful I would say.

ok

No I haven't. I did not even buy the game yet, but I plan to do so in the next months, but am kind of worried about not enough hero, but especially monster veriaty in the base game. So I was thinking about picking up something to add more variety to it. After I saw how much I had to pay for the conversion kit, I thought the Labyrinth expansion would be my best choice, because it had the most additional stuff as well as a completely fresh campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
No I haven't. I did not even buy the game yet, but I plan to do so in the next months, but am kind of worried about not enough hero, but especially monster veriaty in the base game. So I was thinking about picking up something to add more variety to it. After I saw how much I had to pay for the conversion kit, I thought the Labyrinth expansion would be my best choice, because it had the most additional stuff as well as a completely fresh campaign.

The base game has plenty! The OL will want to familiarize himself with the strengths and weaknesses of *all* the monsters, and they're not as simple to choose as "pick a class".

Also, if you like coop, wait for the upcoming coop campaign expansion. See other threads on this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DA_Maz wrote:
DavidvD wrote:

ok

If you're worried about the amount of monsters and heroes, I would definitely go for one of the big box expansion like Labyrinth of Ruin or Shadow of Nerekhall. Those come with four monster groups and four heroes, so it gives your players more options. The small expansions come with two of each, and are good for when you have some expendable income since they're not overly expensive.

I'd honestly recommend Labyrinth of Ruin first (I haven't played Nerekhall yet though), only because Nerekhall seems to introduce a lot of rules which may be confusing to new players, and the monsters seem a bit more story-specific. Labyrinth of Ruin doesn't introduce many new gameplay elements that might be confusing, and the monsters are a bit more general fantasy, like goblin witchers and carrion drakes.

I do like Nerekhall's heroes and classes a bit more, though. And the monsters are apparently pretty popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
msg tools
mb
Here's a rundown of what's out there, if you're starting the game now:

1. Conversion Kit - This is a big pile of hero and monster cards. It contains the most powerful monster in the game (Kobolds) and a few fairly broken heroes, but most of it is stuff you'll never use. You'll have to proxy the minis anyway.

2. Lieutenants - read up online about the different ones out there, and buy one or two that suit the OL's play style. They are definitely a useful buy.

3. Small box expansions - buy ONE of these but not both. These contain two interesting additions to the game, Secret Rooms and Rumors. However, none of the other content is used with any other expansion, and they don't contain campaigns, so you're going to wind up never using most of the stuff you get in the box.

4. Big box expansions - These are worth getting. They give a full campaign, four new classes, and a pile of new monsters, items, etc. However - especially if your group wants to start slowly - you can definitely hold off on this till you actually WANT a second campaign available to you. I just got Shadows and am not particularly impressed with it, but I really like Labyrinth of Ruin.

So - if I were starting now, I would get a Lieutenant, Trollfens, and maybe the Conversion Kit if it's not too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.