Subject: 3 cool things for Eldritch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Use the compass rose on the board to stack your gate tokens. Place your discarded gate tokens face up next to the compass rose (being in the middle of the Indian ocean it's a large unused space on the board, so heaps of room). Not only does it look good, having them on the board will remind you that you can check them (discarded gates) at any time, and may help you (especially as the gate deck depletes) make some guesstimate about where the next gate is likely to appear.

2. Discard all defeated monsters to the Legend on the board. Even if you get your butt whipped it's nice to be able to pick up that pile and look at all the evil things whose butt you kicked

3. Pick up a 'Bag of Cthulhu'. I'm sure a lot of EH and AH players know of this one already. Use one of the large (1.5") figures to replace that boring doom track token, and smaller ones (0.5") to place on rumor spaces instead of that simple !. Amazon has this product listed at 18 bucks, but shop around; I just picked up my set for less than 10 bucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with number 2 is that when you defeat a monster, it goes back to the cup according to the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I know, but the way I see it, that monster is DEAD! It wanted to kill me (and it can, and has before) but this time I killed it first. I understand thematically I just sent that thing back to where it came from. But there's no way anyone would get through all 30+ monsters in a single game. This house rule has had no effect on the games so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are free to house rule, its your game!
But it does have a huge effect on the game. It makes a game more difficult to beat. As you draw monsters, you draw easy monsters and tough monsters. Easier monsters are more likely to be quickly killed, and tough monsters usually stick around longer, since you have to prepare more, improve your strength, get better weapons, etc. So what happens is as you kill easier monsters, you set them aside instead of putting them back in the cup so easy monsters could have a chance to be drawn again, thus raising the difficulty of monsters in the cup in general. As the game goes by, the average "toughness" of monsters in the cup goes up, and the chance of drawing an easier monster from the cup goes down.

You might like to play it that way, but it has a huge impact on the game.

For the same exact reason, you should set aside discarded clues, and not mix them in the remaining pool to avoid drawing the same clues later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point mate, and I agree, but there's also a lot of chance involved - and I'm willing to risk that. I'm just keeping in mind that the monsters are just one part of the game, and that they can be avoided simply by moving away from them and that there are other things to achieve. As for clues, I do set them aside when discarded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm... probability is key here. The chance to draw a Cultist for example should stay the same during the game (drawn but undefeated monsters aside...). If you set a Cultist aside it lowers the chance to draw another one. This also makes little sense in the global setting the game is in.
And thematically, its not that "you send the monster back where it came from" and it just comes back. It is dead. Completely dead. But that does not mean that there isn't a gigantic army of those monsters somewhere in the otherworlds.
I'm with koenigcitizen here and think that it can have a quite severe impact on the game. You can only estimate it (as you said, chance and all that) but it is there. Your game, your rules, but I would not recommend it to anyone just for the sake of having a pile of dead monsters as a visual straw for hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a simple variant for monster:
When kill a monster this go in a queue FIFO of 5 capacity, when queue is full, first mosters return in the cup...

This variant provide a variety of monster in play, without increase or decrease difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
koenigcitizen wrote:
The only problem with number 2 is that when you defeat a monster, it goes back to the cup according to the rules...

You can't argue the increased variety in encounters with his method though.

Perhaps houserule it so that only the Cultists get thrown back in the pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
I use a simple variant for monster:
When kill a monster this go in a queue FIFO of 5 capacity, when queue is full, first mosters return in the cup...

This variant provide a variety of monster in play, without increase or decrease difficulty.

great idea. i'm gonna play a few times trying out your variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I created this variant for mi-go, their ability to get an artifact is very powerful. If you often draw them, the difficulty drops a lot. This variant slows down the generation of a monster.

And you can change the generation time, simply by modifying the capacity of the FIFO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
semba wrote:
1. Use the compass rose on the board to stack your gate tokens.

Yeah, this one is so telegraphed it might as well be in the rules. Only other viable space might be that whirlpool in the atlantic.

I put the discarded ones in the lid of the ultra pro box i also use for discarded clues though (bottom half houses clue pool).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To save more space, just place the discarded Gates face up under the stack. Same goes for Encounter/Research cards, that way you always cycle through the whole set before repeating, and it's easy to see when you need to shuffle them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1, in fact putting discard piles under draw decks face up is always the space saver to use... even for mythos, etc.

-1 to the monster not going back in the cup FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.