Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Geeks, was thinking about buying this and wondering (as with all of my card games) how to sleeve the cards. Since the game comes with the four different mages is it possible to sleeve in four colors? I know that you can buy cards from the other spheres (right term?) to use in your spellbook so perhaps it doesn't matter. If so how many of each color would I need. I am currently sitting on about 100 of several different colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is a lot more than 4 mages if you count expansions. There are 10 now? Plus 4 more coming in near future.

I am a "sleever" but I never had a desire to sleeve mage wars. Since it has no shuffling, I really feel like the cards will last a long time.

Also, a card can belong to ANY mage, so I don't know how it would work if you want to color code your mages. You will be constantly taking cards in and out of sleeves as you adjust your decks. I feel that would damage cards even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 100 of premium card sleeves in 4 colors, which is plenty for core set (with extra spell decks). It does help to differentiate creatures and spells that belong to each caster, Also makes separating books at end of fight very simple.

Not necessary obviously, but it does let me keep any decks ready even without space in box for them in books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I can see a big benefit when you separate cards and clean up after the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few ways that you can sleeve, if you wish to sleeve (as has been stated before, I'm not convinced that the game needs sleeving, but that is your choice).

First, you could sleeve by spell type. If you do this, there are 6 types of spells in the game, so you would want 6 colors of sleeves. With a single core set I don't think you'll need more than 70 sleeves for any of the 6 types. This method has great benefits for separating and categorizing the spells when storing them or constructing books out of them, and you'll never need to change the sleeves except in the case of damaged sleeves. It can be a bit confusing and aesthetically unpleasant though during a game to be using cards with different colored sleeves (at least for some people).

Second option is to sleeve by mage. With just one core set you'll only need 4 colors of sleeves. If you have all the expansions you'll need between 8 and 10 colors currently (depending on if you assign the same color to alternate mages, such as Priest and Priestess, or not) and more mages will be released in the future increasing the colors needed even further. Most mages will make due with less than 60 sleeves, but I have seen some books get above 70 cards so you might want to aim for 80 sleeves per color. This method has great benefits during a game for telling each person's cards apart and sorting them after the game is over. It is useless for storage, however, as those cards have not been assigned to a mage, and it means you might have to switch sleeves whenever you make changes to a spellbook.

I'm sure other methods exist or could be devised, but those are the two best that I know of, and seem to be the most common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
There are a few ways that you can sleeve, if you wish to sleeve (as has been stated before, I'm not convinced that the game needs sleeving, but that is your choice).

First, you could sleeve by spell type. If you do this, there are 6 types of spells in the game, so you would want 6 colors of sleeves. With a single core set I don't think you'll need more than 70 sleeves for any of the 6 types. This method has great benefits for separating and categorizing the spells when storing them or constructing books out of them, and you'll never need to change the sleeves except in the case of damaged sleeves. It can be a bit confusing and aesthetically unpleasant though during a game to be using cards with different colored sleeves (at least for some people).

Second option is to sleeve by mage. With just one core set you'll only need 4 colors of sleeves. If you have all the expansions you'll need between 8 and 10 colors currently (depending on if you assign the same color to alternate mages, such as Priest and Priestess, or not) and more mages will be released in the future increasing the colors needed even further. Most mages will make due with less than 60 sleeves, but I have seen some books get above 70 cards so you might want to aim for 80 sleeves per color. This method has great benefits during a game for telling each person's cards apart and sorting them after the game is over. It is useless for storage, however, as those cards have not been assigned to a mage, and it means you might have to switch sleeves whenever you make changes to a spellbook.

I'm sure other methods exist or could be devised, but those are the two best that I know of, and seem to be the most common.

Thanks, this is the info I was looking for. Thanks to all of the other responses as well, I love BGG forums thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:

Note that this method will also affect gameplay significantly. Normally the two spells you prepare each round are hidden information until you cast them. Since you have access to all of your spells all the time, knowing what and when to cast and anticipating your opponent's spells are huge factors. This method would reveal to your opponent what type of spell you are preparing and he may react accordingly. This then creates timing issues where your opponent's spell type may affect your choices which may affect his choices and so on.

Personally, I'm using clear KMC Perfect Size sleeves. As others have said, the cards don't take a lot of wear so I don't feel the need for anything heftier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is another drawback that I didn't consider when typing it up. I personally haven't bothered sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sleeved clear, mostly just cause I like the gloss of how the cards look sleeved, but also cause I was playing with someone who had their own cards and it made an easy way to differentiate.

The main alternate sleeving I've heard used is sleeving your book so you can separate cards easily at the end - particularly if you're playing with people who have their own sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I end up sleeving my spellbooks, mostly to help identify which cards are mine. Most games it doesn't come up but when it does it can be a nightmare trying to straighten it out.

As for the sleeves themselves, I'm pretty flexible. I like Dragon Shields because they're nice sleeves and because they come 100 to a pack and I've yet to have a spellbook that is more than 100 spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend using clear, or all one color as you want everything to be hidden information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.