Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Draft your army, manage your troops, do battle, and come out victorious, in the card campaign. In this game, you must draw your cards (troops) manage your army (discarding) and do battle. unlike war, the victor doe not come out with all cards, instead he keeps his hand while the other players lose their hand to the "graveyard" (their pile of destroyed troops) Hello again! right now (I think a lot of you will say "why two games at once Michael? well, im doing one as an on and off type of thing. this one, im not) I have the rules for 1.0 of the card campaign all ready for those who would like to play test, but i don't have any cards. each deck consists of 36 (2 blank for now, but they will include the combos later) and there are 5 decks (one for each player) if you would like to play test or see the manual, shoot me a msg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen your new card game yet! But it sounds cool!

Feel free to geek-mail me with the rules and a sample of the cards; or, email me at sturvtafvherd at g m a i l

And if you haven't seen the following games yet ... you might be interested in them:

Brawl

Yomi

BattleTech CCG

Speaking of Battletech ... there's a really cool Dominion-like Deckbuilder variant:
Battletech Dominion Card Game - A Total Conversion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
sent you the rules! I don't have any card design at all. simply write the units name and point value on the card and BAM! you have a card. sorry I don't have the design yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Card campaign: Card artwork
came up with an idea for the card artwork. you guys know about those iconic card soldiers in Alice in wonderland? well imagine one of those except with a rugged appearance, a helmet on, and a gun in hand. this would be infantry. for the tank, a card, but with those track things (like a tank) and a turret on top. still trying to figure out what to do with the AAA guns and air planes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Card campaign: rule update!
The card campaign rules 1.1 will be available very soon (most likely before the end of today) If you would like to help me out by game testing or reviewing the instruction manual (VER. 1.1) Geek msg me. however, don't expect to get the card designs. I don't have those yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just read thru the rules. Gut reaction: it is like , BATTLE POKER!!

Right now, I think you mean to have all 6 decks have the same number and types of troops ... just different player colors, right? That's a good place to start. Later on, you can consider having each deck be slightly different. Like, Red could be russians with 4 extra infantry, but less fighters and bombers, and their infantry scores more points. Green could be americans with less infantry and more fighters and bombers. Black could be germans with more tanks that score more points.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Don't get too caught up with card artwork. You gotta get the game play set. The game can still change that you'll end up changing the artwork too.

2. Try playtesting with generic playing cards.

8 infantry : 2 thru 9 of Spades
6 tanks : JQK of clubs and spades
6 AAA guns : JQK of hearts and diamonds
5 fighters : 2 thru 6 of diamonds
5 bombers : 2 thru 6 of hearts

reinforcements: aces, tens, and jokers.

(how many reinforcement cards are there? 4? 6?)

and some twists: Five-card hands will be limiting, and I like how you have reinforcements ... but I think the game might work better if you use a 7 card hand instead, and there is no "play reinforcements to the table" ... essentially....

a. all players draw 7 cards.
b. choose up to 3 cards to discard (face up) and draw back up to 7 cards.
... (note, any reinforcement cards stay secret in your hand)

c. First Clash: all players choose exactly 3 cards, reveal simultaneously, resolve any effects.
d. 2nd Wave: all players choose exactly 2 cards, reveal simultaneously, resolve any effects.
e. Final Wave: all remaining cards (including whatever reinforcements you picked up) are played.

f. Tally up the points.

Finally, a word on bonus points: you gotta consider how hard each combo is.

Getting 5 tanks to show up in your hand when there are only 6 tanks is a hard thing to do.

Getting 5 fighters (or 5 bombers) to show up when there's exactly 5 available is a lot tougher than the 5 tanks combo ... especially when the AAA will likely hit them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! I changed the amount of players from 6 to 5.

I will include the other rules you sent me in the other ways to play section of the rules. rite now im trying to make this as simple as possible. I was going to have this as my starting point of the game and work from there. the whole battle sequence you showed me, I like it, but I don't really understand it :/ would it be if I played a reinforcement card during the 3-2- stage I would be able to add cards to my hand? and I love your WWII style thing. I was already planning on making different versions, but now I know of one. WWII! thanks for that idea. BTW there is supposed to be 4 reinforcement cards in each deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw your rules 1.1. Good job. The addition of an Example of Play is great!

I'm actually a big fan of using existing / commonplace items to develop games, which is why I suggested using cards from a regular pack of playing cards.

So, anyway, going with that idea.... and since you asked for an example of what I was suggesting as a game flow...

Components:
8 infantry : 2 thru 9 of Spades
6 tanks : JQK of clubs and spades
6 AAA guns : JQK of hearts and diamonds
5 fighters : 2 thru 6 of diamonds
5 bombers : 2 thru 6 of hearts

4 reinforcements: draw 3 more cards into your hand.

Game flow:

a. all players draw 7 cards.
b. choose up to 3 cards to discard (face up) and draw back up to 7 cards.
... (note, any reinforcement cards stay secret in your hand)

c. First Clash: all players choose exactly 3 cards, reveal simultaneously, resolve any effects.
d. 2nd Wave: all players choose exactly 2 cards, reveal simultaneously, resolve any effects.
e. Final Wave: all remaining cards (including whatever reinforcements you picked up) are played.

f. Tally up the points.

Example.

a. Draw
... Adam's 7: 3 infantry, 3 fighter, 1 reinforcement
... Bob's 7: 5 infantry, 1 AAA, 1 fighter

b. Discard and replace
... Adam discards 3 infantry, gets 1 fighter, 2 tanks
... Bob doesn't discard any

c. First Clash (simultaneous reveal)
... Adam reveals 1 fighter and 2 tanks
... Bob reveals 3 infantry
...... no resolution required

d. 2nd Wave (simultaneous reveal)
... Adam reveals 2 more fighters
... Bob reveals AAA and Fighter
...... resolution: Bob's AAA is spent to shoot down 1 of Adam's Fighters.

e. Final Wave
... Adam reveals 4th fighter and reinforcement card
... Bob reveals the other 2 infantry
...... resolution: Adam draws additional cards
......... (in my version, Adam gets 3 fresh cards from his deck)
......... since it is the final wave, the additional cards join the final wave. if it was prior to the final wave, the cards would have gone to Adam's hand
...... for his 3 cards... Adam draws 1 reinforcement card (no effect) and 2 tanks.

f. Tally
... Adam has 3 fighters, 4 tanks
... Bob has 5 infantry, 1 AAA, 1 fighter
(count up points and combos based on that)

So ... I've actually tried this out, and ... well ... as exciting as it is to make "poker hands" ... there's something missing. Shooting down that plane was interesting ... but kinda anti-climactic. It was: "oh, you're lucky to get an AAA, but you only got 1 of my fleet."

And that's the thing ... it's mostly just luck. The only decision was whether to discard up-to-three cards and hope to find a better combo.

So, more suggestions:

Infantry: each Inf may be spent to choose a player, and all of that player's revealed AAA and Fighter cards are destroyed.

Tank: each Tank may be spent to choose a player, and all of that player's revealed Infantry and Bomber cards are destroyed.

AAA: each AAA may be spent to choose a player, and all of that player's revealed Fighters and Bomber cards are destroyed.

Fighter: Each Ftr may be spent to choose a player, and all of that player's Revealed Infantry and Tanks are destroyed.

Bomber: Each Bmb may be spent to choose a player, and all of that player's revealed Tanks and AAA are destroyed.

("spent" doesn't mean the card is removed, it just can't use it's special ability again... essentially, in M:tG terms, it is tapped)

So, now there's some timing decisions involved with the 3 waves of attacks. Adam would have destroyed the Infantry that Bob put out. This also makes having different types of cards in your hand more useful than just having 1 or 2 types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like you idea, it just seems a little to complex for now. how would you know if a card was spent? and the cards seem a little bit destructive to me. I like the idea, but too many cards have too many special powers. giving bombers special powers is what I was going to do, but changed my mind.
I think I will add bombers having special powers, but that's it. don't want it to complicated. plus I think if I add special powers to all cards, if you use the power, it loses half its points. so it will add a bit of strategy to the game. or maybe he cant use the card at all in the battle. and that you can only play up to one a round.

Example:

Black: Draws 7 cards and gets 3 INF. 2 tanks, 1 AAA gun, and 1 fighter.

Yellow: draws 7 cards and gets 1 INF. 3 tanks, 2 AAA guns and 1 bomber.

Black: discards 1 INF and 1 fighter and gets 1 AAA gun and 1 INF.

Yellow: discards 1 AAA, and 1 tank. he/she gets 1 bomber, and 1 INF.

Black: plays his/her INF. card

Yellow: plays his/her BMB. card.

Black: plays his/her 2 remaining INF and 1 fighter.

Yellow: plays his/her AAA (which is destroyed)and two tanks.

Black: plays 2 tanks.

Yellow: plays 1 Bmb and 1 tank

Black: plays remaining cards.

Yellow: plays remaining cards.

scores are then tallied up. one thing changed from the example. you can play a special power at the beginning of each small "battle"

thanks for the ideas!

~Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've thought about it, and I will add the rule that you are talking about. however, it will be changed a little. (wait for rules 1.2 to come out to see the changes. ) Version of the rules 1.2 should be out before the end of today. hope you like the new version!

(to all new viewers/subscribers. if you would like to see the currant rules, geek-msg me and you should get them a few minuets later. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no prob. you're going for a bigger multiplayer game anyway, so having less card destruction makes sense. You can consider having each spent card as neutralizing one opposing card (rather than all).

I also just realized that I made my 5-way rock/paper/scissors diagram wrong. Here's a corrected version.

Infantry beats AAA and Fighters
AAA beats Fighters and Bombers
Fighters beat Bombers and Tanks
Bombers beat Tanks and Infantry
Tanks beat Infantry and AAA

As to "how do you know a card is spent?" Orientation is the usual answer. When you lay out the card onto the table, it is "ready" when it is "standing" ... meaning, the card text is properly oriented to you. When you spend a card, you turn it 90 degrees, putting it "lying down" on it's side.

Another option is having cards in piles: so a player would have a draw pile, a discard pile, a ready pile, and a spent pile.

Another option is to flip the card face-down, or turn it upside-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
now its getting to the point in which I need a board.
I think that instead of there being "spent" cards, you get to use that special power a certain number of times. (the same number as there is cards that go along with the power) so that you don't have all these piles of cards. also, using the reinforcement cards is used to bring back the "destroyed" troops. so maybe I could give the players a choice. use the reinforcement card to bring back up to five "destroyed" units, or use it to get you three extra units during battle.

~Michael

Game updates and notes:
Version 1.2 of the rules will be out today or tomorrow!
What it has:
game battle sequence changed
More powers for units
fixed typos
*might* different objective
new combos
some combos are worth more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bringing back destroyed troops would be "resurrection", "restoration", or healing/repair ...

reinforcement, in my mind, concerns fresh units.

And yeah, having a board would add an interesting dimension. You've heard of 4X games? Exploration, Exploitation, Expansion, Extermination.

imagine this: instead of having players battle out every round, they would only battle when their forces meet ... meaning ... adjacency on the board.

... so, in cases where they don't battle, what do they do with the cards in their hand? they would be "spent" in non-combat activities.

infantry and tanks can be used to establish control over neutral territory.

infantry and planes allow you to build an airstrip. airstrips being within 3 spaces away of a contested territory would dictate whether the airplane cards you draw in combat have an effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reinforcement cards
I was actually going to make a version of the game that acted like that. it would be expensive though, mainly because it would include sea units, more air units, and more land units.
well, the reinforcements card basically say you get more troops, but you get to choose from all the cards that are in the "destroyed" card pile.

~Michael

Game updates:
Rules 1.2 are almost done! should be done in half an hour (give or take a few minuets)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
changing the rules a lot!

rules: 2.0

includes:
simpler battle sequence.
Money (to buy back destroyed units)
Allies
6 card draw
and CARDS!

(this update will come out 4/2/14, or 4/3/14)

And no, this is not an April fools joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Card campaign 2.0
This will show what the update will include and briefly explain it.

What 2.0 adds:
+ A money system
+ 6 card draw limit
+ cards
+ different ways to play
+Action card
* having less that x amount of cards no longer means you may get up to that number from your "destroyed" troop pile.
* Simpler battle sequence

the money system:
Troop tokens will help you buy back your "destroyed" troops. you get one of these for every battle you win. and you also start out with two. one of these buys one "destroyed" troop.

6 card limit:
Instead of seven cards, I have lowered it to six.
Reason: seven was too much, the game was going to quickly, but five was to slow. six seemed juuuust rite.

CARDS!:
That's rite, I will be showing a couple pieces of artwork for the game! this wont happen till tomorrow or Thursday. so stay posted!

Action cards:
Action cards are basically the cards that you place to effect other players. so they are just under a different name.

having less that x amount of cards no longer means you may get up to that number from your "destroyed" troop pile:
Instead of the old rule, if you have less that X amount of cards, draw from your "destroyed" card pile till you have X amount of cards.
well now its: You have less than X amount of cards? well, you're stuck with that amount. and no you cant place an action card either.

Simpler battle sequence:
No more: 3-2-remaining. that was to confusing, and it made the game well, not fun. now its, draw six, discard up to three, draw that number back, place action card, then place rest of cards, action cards take effect, points and bonus points are tallied up, (excluding action cards)
and so on and so forth.

so, I hope you guys like the changes! BTW rules 2.0 are available for play testing! Geek msg my for em'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The cards will be ready in the next two weeks. once they are done. the game will be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
VERY IMPORTANT!
New name!
After much consideration, I have decided to call it, Battle poker. any art ideas for the box will be considered, and if you provide a sketch of what you mean, and it gets picked, your name will be placed in the art designer section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.