7 Posts

Samurai Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: AoT flank attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Etunimi Sukunimi
msg tools
I've got a few questions about flanking:

1) A unit that's not already being engaged in combat cannot be flank or rear attacked, because it will automatically turn to face an enemy that enters an adjacent hex. Correct?

2) An exception for this would be the Defend and Fire and Retreat orders, because the rules specifically say that attacks from directions that are not in the unit's Defense Zone will be treated as flank or rear attacks. When this happens, will the Defending unit get to turn to face the attacker, and does it get to roll dice in the combat phase?

3) What does this mean in the description of the Defend order:
If an assault comes from the unit's front facing, it can engage 2 enemy units at once.
I assume the unit can't roll dice against 2 units? Does this just mean what was said before, that 2 adjacent enemy units can be both considered to be on the front side?

And some additional questions:

4) What is the signifigance of the Put to flight rule? Units that are Hesitant or Shaken and fail a Fortitude Test will automatically make a Flee or Panic move anyway.

5) Do units only get the Pursue order if their enemy was Put to flight? So they won't pursue an enemy fleeing the combat if the morale level of the enemy didn't drop during the last round (they were Shaken the whole time)?

6) Do units only make the test to improve their morale level during the Morale Phase if they're not engaged in combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Customer Service
msg tools
publisher
mb
Hello!

Thank you for your questions. I hope these answers help:

1. That is correct: when a unit is first engaged by an enemy unit, it will automatically turn to face the enemy and defend itself. If two or more enemies both engage an unengaged unit at the same time, it will turn to face the stronger unit (see page 6 of the rulebook).

2. Also correct: the defending unit suffers the effects of the flank or rear attack, then turns to face the strongest enemy and defend itself.

3. That rule means that the defending unit can engage a maximum of 2 units from its "front". Any additional attackers will be attacking the flank or rear. The defending unit still only gets to attack 1 enemy unit each turn.

4. Basically, the Put to Flight rule states that if a Hesitant or Shaken unit fails a Fortitude Test during close combat, it will flee from the battle and its opponent does not get an honor marker.

5. Correct again: the Pursue order represents the tendency of soldiers in feudal warfare to get a little "excited" when the enemy breaks and runs during a fight. Since Put to Flight represents a unit breaking and running, the attacker needs to check their Fortitude or they will "run them down".

One small comment: The Pursue order is very much like the Assault order. The difference is—its compulsory. The Pursue order is carried out in the next turn (after the enemy flees from combat), during Step 3 of the Execution Phase. If you want your unit to pursue an enemy (and it passes its Fortitude Test), you can give it a normal Assault order. The effect will be the same (actually, even better: Assault gives the unit a bonus to melee attack, while Pursue does not).

6. No: all units can check to improve their morale level, even if they are engaged in combat. Sometimes, seeing the enemy up close is just what a shaken unit needs to snap out of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etunimi Sukunimi
msg tools
All right, it makes sense now. Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Customer Service
msg tools
publisher
mb
Apparently I owe everyone an apology: I was given incorrect information from our design team when I answered these questions. The correct answer to question #6 is:

Units that are engaged in melee CANNOT test Fortitude to improve their morale level.

Very sorry for the confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etunimi Sukunimi
msg tools
Ok, I thought of one more rules question.

On page 6:
If a unit is attacked by two or more enemy units at the
same time, it must turn to face the enemy unit that
has the highest total Attack Value.

What if my unit moves next to two units that are already in combat and facing the other way? Do I still fight the stronger one, or do I get to choose? Or what if there's a strong unit that's already engaged in melee, and a weaker unit that turns to attack me? Do I turn to face the stronger unit, or the weaker one that's actually attacking me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Customer Service
msg tools
publisher
mb
Hello!

Just got the word from the design team. They tell me that the intent of the rule is that a unit will ALWAYS turn to face the stronger enemy unit whenever it comes into contact with multiple enemy units at the same time.

So, in both of your examples, your unit would turn to face the stronger enemy unit.

If you specifically want to attack a weaker enemy unit, you will have to plan your moves very carefully to avoid the Zone of Control of stronger enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etunimi Sukunimi
msg tools
Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.