Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To show fatigue, casulties, disorder and the like wargames usually have some mechanic to keep track of it. I'm interested in different ways designers go about doing that in their games. The ones I'm familiar with so far are:

-Classic Chit Flipping sometimes with additional replacement counters for further reductions. Most Wargames published do it this way.

-Block Rotation found in your Columbia block games, Pax Baltica.

-Block Replacement strength is listed on the block, when reduced just grab another. Bowen Simmons designs are the only ones I know that do it this way.

-Strength recorded on a piece of paper Maria first comes to mind, but I think there are many other older examples.

-Miniature Base Rotation a units stats are listed on a disc with only a few of the numbers visible at any one time. As the figure gets hurt the disc is rotated. Hero Clix comes to mind and either there are more grognardy examples out there or there soon will be.

-Miniatures are removed or 'casualty caps' are used most miniature games, Tide of Iron.

That's all I can think of, but there must be more. If you know of something else please add it and if it's really strange would you explain how it works? This seems like old ground but I can't find this question asked in the archives, if it was would you link to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La Batt and BAR use numerical chits that are placed underneath counters to track reduced strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As does The Third World War, with its disruption markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frederick the Great: you stack troop strength chits under your leaders, adding and removing them through game play. I think you could have a maximum of 10 strength points (SP's) per leader. Numerous of the CDG's do a similar thing:

Sword of Rome
The Napoleonic Wars
etc.

Then you have The Struggle of Nations and its ilk, where unit strengths are kept track of on a separate OOB display.

EDIT:
In Titan (the Victory Valley Games version), you place blood droplet chits on your units as they take hits--the more hits, the darker red the chits are.

2nd EDIT:
Thanks, Enrico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Defiance
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also familiar with games that substitute counters with reduced capabilities (Squad Leader did this with their half-squads, and it was not really uncommon). But the most interesting version was used by a game dealing with the North African campaign during WW-II that was produced during the late 1960s that required you to keep track of unit strength on a separate piece of paper (it was not public knowledge but could be revealed by combat or certain forms of reconnaissance, like aerial recon) and as you wore out your unit due to supply, disorganization, and combat losses it reduced step-by-step. But not in block steps. You'd have a 10-point unit that became 9, then 8, then 7, etc. etc.

Mogadeet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
Frederick the Great: you stack troop strength chits under your leaders, adding and removing them through game play. I think you could have a maximum of 10 strength points (SP's) per leader. Numerous of the CDG's do a similar thing:

Sword of Rome
The Napoleonic Wars
etc.

I suppose, but SPs are units in their own right as they can be left on the board without another formation so I figured that fell under the first example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogadeet wrote:
I am also familiar with games that substitute counters with reduced capabilities (Squad Leader did this with their half-squads, and it was not really uncommon). But the most interesting version was used by a game dealing with the North African campaign during WW-II that was produced during the late 1960s that required you to keep track of unit strength on a separate piece of paper (it was not public knowledge but could be revealed by combat or certain forms of reconnaissance, like aerial recon) and as you wore out your unit due to supply, disorganization, and combat losses it reduced step-by-step. But not in block steps. You'd have a 10-point unit that became 9, then 8, then 7, etc. etc.

Mogadeet

Sounds like Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942. The fire strength of the units was also related to how many casualties there were. One of my favorite games growing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
PeteyWA wrote:

EDIT:
In Titan (the Victory Games version), you place blood droplet chits on your units as they take hits--the more hits, the darker red the chits are.

Valley Games, no?

This is the same basic concept as War at Sea/Victory in the Pacific.
Units aren't weakened, they just accumulate a certain number of hits.

Somewhat similar is the Friction Point system used in Fifth Corps
and the rest of its series - accumulated points have little effect, but
the unit just collapses at some moment.

There are also designs where units have subsystems which are individually
hit. Usually one-on-one vehicle engagements. The iconic example here would be Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
La Batt and BAR use numerical chits that are placed underneath counters to track reduced strengths.

So did the old GBACW games I have played. This method tends to get very fiddly. The strength markers double the size of all stacks as the game goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Moruya23 wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

So did the old GBACW games I have played. This method tends to get very fiddly. The strength markers double the size of all stacks as the game goes on.

Luckily, in GBACW, you're usually not talking about big stacks of such units.

Still, in TSS at least, they could get painful, due to ammunition also
being tracked with number counters on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

How does it work, does either player know how close a given unit is to breaking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sitnam wrote:
calandale wrote:

How does it work, does either player know how close a given unit is to breaking?

I think it's open information. Each time you move, you take a hit.
You also get them off the CRT.

Might be interesting to have a secret damage draw that only one side was aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Moruya23 wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

Then there's GDW's Port Arthur, which uses the same markers to represent supplies and hits on units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:

Then there's GDW's Port Arthur, which uses the same markers to represent supplies and hits on units.

Pacific Fleet uses exactly the same kind of markers on ground combat units. They represent hits and supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
1914 used to have separate counters for step losses. I may be wrong, but I think it was the first wargame that had step losses.

I'm pretty sure Blitzkrieg did it first. 1914 was however the first game with back printed counters, although for FOW not step losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My prehistoric copy of Anzio has multiple counters for most of it's units..probably because the technology for back printing counters didn't exist back in 1969..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
A related mechanic, but perhaps not quite in the sense you mean, is used in Asia Engulfed. When a ship is damaged after combat, you roll a d6 to determine the extent of the damage. Then a "damaged unit" counter goes to the appropriate space on the build/repair track. On future turns it can be repaired and put back in service.

Simply: When it becomes damaged, take a step loss (it's a block game), but the damaged unit goes on a notional "track" and can be repaired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

My prehistoric copy of Anzio has multiple counters for most of it's units..probably because the technology for back printing counters didn't exist back in 1969..

1914 was published in 1968.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guadalcanal, published by Avalon Hill in 1966, was the first wargame with step-loss reduction, which was recorded on a paper sheet.

When the game came out, it was considered "very complex"…

Two year later, we were hammered with 1914 !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:

I have a game - The '45 - which does much the same, albeit with chits. To my mind, this makes for somewhat fussy gameplay. But it does of course give you the finer granularity 3-4 strength steps give you.

Much better to simply then go all the way and use blocks. Though that of course is not an option with tons of units in the game. But then you don't really need that finer measure in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
charlesf wrote:
Sitnam wrote:

I have a game - The '45 - which does much the same, albeit with chits. To my mind, this makes for somewhat fussy gameplay. But it does of course give you the finer granularity 3-4 strength steps give you.

Ugh - almost as bad as the RSS' rotating strength point counters.
I really dislike that kind of solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Das Opiz'sche Kriegsspiel from 1806, the troop strength for each unit (battalion) is noted on a separate troop roster.

The units used in the game look similar to those in Napoleon's Triumph:

Now, if the strength is reduced to 50%, a collar made out of paper is put over the flag to indicate the reduced combat efficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nunuyerbiznez
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitler's War has armies (off-board) that have from 1 to 10 points, added by the player during reorganization, subtracted by losses during combat.

I was trying to work on a game that used color-coded 1D6 in trays as strength indicators (e.g., air-armor-infantry etc.), along the lines of HW, but with the accounting done on the board. Never seen it in published game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and the mention of flags reminds me of Red Storm Rising which has upright units that consist of two sides of cardboard folded over and placed into a plastic base. then casualties can be shown by inserting a flag into the crease with either one or two hits showing. The unit on the left has suffered two hits, the other units are undamaged.

Same system in The Hunt for Red October and A Line in the Sand: The Battle of Iraq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
billyboy wrote:
Peso Pete wrote:
1914 used to have separate counters for step losses. I may be wrong, but I think it was the first wargame that had step losses.

I'm pretty sure Blitzkrieg did it first. 1914 was however the first game with back printed counters, although for FOW not step losses.

Blitzkrieg had replacement units to represent losses; if, for example, a strength 4 division took a loss, it was replaced by a strength 2 brigade and a strength 1 brigade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.