Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Jaipur» Forums » Rules

Subject: 5 camels market rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new playing this wonderful game and I am not completely sure about this situation.
What happens when there are only camels in the market (five) and the player does not wish to take all camels, is he obliged to take all five clearing the whole market? May he pick several camels, may he take just one? shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jarinu wrote:
I am new playing this wonderful game and I am not completely sure about this situation.
What happens when there are only camels in the market (five) and the player does not wish to take all camels, is he obliged to take all five clearing the whole market? May he pick several camels, may he take just one? shake

There is no mechanism to clear the board if all 5 cards are the same. So one of the players is going to have to take the camels.

When you take camels, you must take ALL the camels. So all 5, no choice to take less.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jarinu wrote:
I am new playing this wonderful game and I am not completely sure about this situation.
What happens when there are only camels in the market (five) and the player does not wish to take all camels, is he obliged to take all five clearing the whole market? May he pick several camels, may he take just one? shake

There is no mechanism to clear the board if all 5 cards are the same. So one of the players is going to have to take the camels.

When you take camels, you must take ALL the camels. So all 5, no choice to take less.


Brian has it right there - all or nothing... but I'm a little confused surprise - why wouldn't anyone want to take all 5? Save for being afraid of what the other player may get offered afterwards?

Remember Camels go into your herd and not into your hand - so they don't count towards your maximum hand limit...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Brian , that is what I thought and it seems that taking all 5 camels is not always a good option...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jarinu wrote:
I am new playing this wonderful game and I am not completely sure about this situation.
What happens when there are only camels in the market (five) and the player does not wish to take all camels, is he obliged to take all five clearing the whole market? May he pick several camels, may he take just one? shake

There is no mechanism to clear the board if all 5 cards are the same. So one of the players is going to have to take the camels.

When you take camels, you must take ALL the camels. So all 5, no choice to take less.

Or sell a good. If you want your opponent to take the camels, try selling e.g. 1 leather.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
rjbeeth wrote:
but I'm a little confused surprise - why wouldn't anyone want to take all 5? Save for being afraid of what the other player may get offered afterwards?

That has been my experience with it. You are looking for a specific good - or even you both are looking for the same. The first to "blink" so to speak, leaves the other person a fresh offering of 5 new goods. Most likely it shows up with that many new cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
holgerd wrote:

Or sell a good. If you want your opponent to take the camels, try selling e.g. 1 leather.

If you have a good to sell. Or what you have left in hand is what you are looking for to make a set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
rjbeeth wrote:
but I'm a little confused surprise - why wouldn't anyone want to take all 5? Save for being afraid of what the other player may get offered afterwards?

That has been my experience with it. You are looking for a specific good - or even you both are looking for the same. The first to "blink" so to speak, leaves the other person a fresh offering of 5 new goods. Most likely it shows up with that many new cards.


I agree... I even consider this a major strategy (and fun part) of the game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
holgerd wrote:

Or sell a good. If you want your opponent to take the camels, try selling e.g. 1 leather.

If you have a good to sell. Or what you have left in hand is what you are looking for to make a set.


One of the skills in Jaipur is knowing when to give up on a set and just sell 1 or 2 of that color to avoid having to clear a camel-full market. It can be hard (psychologically) to give up on a set you have your eye on. But I've found it's very effective, especially if you're the first sale and you steal the 5-cost chip from spices or carpets (or even the 4 from brown).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Kirtley
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found in games against a few different opponents now that most people don't want to take the camels. Personally I am the opposite, I try to horde the camels.

Even though you give your opponent a lot of opportunities at the high value goods you yourself have a lot of space to manuever to go at 4 and 5 card combos. The more camels you have the more options you have to pick up cards without having to drop from your hand (excluding the 7 card max of course).

Plus theres always the looming 5 points for most camels at the end. Those points have ended up being the deciding factor in more than a few of my games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.