Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Oprah Winfrey Fleet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hare
msg tools
As a running joke, when using Defense Condition One, we would occasionally start saying, "You get a battlestation, and you get a battlestation. Everybody gets a battlestation!"

So I want to hash together a fleet based around the idea that every ship buffs every ship. I want to see if a piddly swarm can power up like friggin Goku and deliver.

Cards that give tokens to friendlies
TALENT (5sp): Defense Condition One Battlestations
CAPTAIN (3SP): Kira Nerys Target Locks

Cards that give bonus attack or defense dice
CAPTAIN (6sp): LE Martok +1 Attack, 1 Die Reroll
CAPTAIN (4sp): Gowron +1 Attack
CAPTAIN (4sp): Donatra +1 Attack
CAPTAIN (1sp): Terrel +1 Defense
TALENT (5sp): Blockade +1 Attack, +1 Defense
RESOURCE (10sp): Independent Klingon Flagship +1 Attack

Am I missing any cards that would contribute?

26 points
16 Bajoran Scout Ship
3 Kira Nerys
5 Blockade
2 Day Kannu

26 points
18 Romulan Bird of Prey
4 Donatra
5+1 Def Con One

20 points
18 IKS Somraw
1+1 Terrel

28 points
22 K'tinga
6 LE Martok

100 Points
Every ship will have a Target Lock, Battlestations, 2-4 additional attack dice, and 1-2 additional defense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get fancy, you could add tribbles to the mix ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
My goal is for everyone to buff everyone. Tribbles power up just one ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of working parts to this makes it a very challenging fleet to fly.

Getting free Target Locks at Kira's activation is not likely to help against anyone who runs a higher captain skill on the initial engagement. If you're willing to drop to Negh'Martok, you can pass her a free action... to give a bunch of free Actions.

Donatra's ship is actually the named Gal Gath'Thong for the points you've spent on it. I might recommend dropping to the Praetus and putting an Interphase Generator on it. Saves you a point for initiative if you like, and make her more survivable while not losing any offensive power.

Dropping from 4 to 3 hull on a Cloaked ship might go against your sensibilities but with the Ch'Tang you'd be adding offensive power to your attacks with the re-roll on top of battle stations. It's redundant until the moment you can't get the target lock.

The D7 over the Raptor does get battle stations on its action bar.

Which brings me to actually flying this thing. So many tight range bonuses to keep track of with four ships will get cumbersome. Kahless shall forsake you if you collide, particularly with the use of so many free Actions. I'm not saying it's difficult on its own, but you may find maneuvers difficult to plot if you have to break formation while not dying.

Finally, there are too many one use cards here to make this viable consistently. All it takes is Miles O'Brien on a Cloaked fleet to disable DefConOne and suddenly, no target locks, no mass battle stations, and you're left with a standard dice-increasing swarm for a round, which statistically doesn't cut it. Two or three solid attacks will remove at least one ship from the board, probably Donatra, with her passive and the talent tied together in a neat package.

All this aside, in the right conditions and board set up, I imagine some poor unassuming chap with three Fed or Dominion ships line up across from you, and watching in consternation as you move into range and unload four attacks with battle stations and a re-roll onto him, destroying one and crippling another before he can really respond.

A good exercise in fleet building here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there are too many one-time use cards. Here is a slightly different take on your idea that I find pretty interesting:

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Donatra (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Ship SP: 37

Valdore (28)
Clark Terrell (2)
Tactical Officer (3)
Ship SP: 33

R.I.S. Vo (16)
Flagship (0)
Kira Nerys (4)
Ship SP: 20

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Donatra and Terrell Captain the named and a generic Valdore, each buffing the other and the Vo. They each have a Tactical Officer to take full advantage of the Target Locks Kira will be handing out. The Vo should stay cloaked, so that Kira can take her action each round. If anyone is foolish enough to attack the Vo, they will face 3 native agility, plus one agility for the flagship, plus 1 defense die for Terrell, plus the free evade token from the Vo, plus 4 defense dice for being cloaked. That's 9 defense dice plus an automatic evade.

Both Valdores should be throwing 6 attack dice with a double re-roll target lock most rounds, which should average just over 5 hits a round from each ship. That combined with the survivability of the ships could make for a tough fleet to go against, even given the initiative challenges with this set of captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
Donatra's ship is actually the named Gal Gath'Thong for the points you've spent on it. I might recommend dropping to the Praetus and putting an Interphase Generator on it.

Yeah, I listed the wrong points. It should have said 16, not 18.

Dropping from 4 to 3 hull on a Cloaked ship might go against your sensibilities but with the Ch'Tang you'd be adding offensive power to your attacks with the re-roll on top of battle stations. It's redundant until the moment you can't get the target lock.

In OP events I typically run the Ch'tang before the K'tingas. I don't have an argument against that swap

The D7 over the Raptor does get battle stations on its action bar.

I thought about that, but the Somraw's ship text will make it more survivable. It was a toss up between the two.

All this aside, in the right conditions and board set up, I imagine some poor unassuming chap with three Fed or Dominion ships line up across from you, and watching in consternation as you move into range and unload four attacks with battle stations and a re-roll onto him, destroying one and crippling another before he can really respond.

I have no realistic expectation that the people I play OPs against would be fooled by this fleet. I just want to run it for the hell of it on a free play night. You guys are trying to make this concept an OP worthy fleet.

If I was going for more competitive, I would swap in the Ch'tang and the Gal'Gathong. Then, find a way to get Plasma Torpedoes onto the Gal'gathong. Ideally, I would move Donatra off that ship to gain the extra die. At that point I would be firing a 5-6 Ch'tang and a 8 die plasma torpedo with BS and a reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This does certainly sound like a fun build (one I might want to try flying myself at some point), though the need to keep in close formation could be difficult... Just on the weekend I was playing a 4-player 2v2 casual game with some friends, and my one friend had a beautiful formation of cloaked Klingon ships, nice and close together and providing a lot of buffs to one another. Then my other friend, who was on my team and playing Romulan, dropped some cloaked mines right in the path of the Klingon formation, mid-way between a planet and the edge of the playing area. The formation completely feel apart, and we [effectively] won the game right then and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.