Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks are ever attempting to correct for Munchkin's end-game trigger: the game ends when a player hits level 10 by killing a monster. There are a few issues with this which are well documented elsewhere and need not be restated here.

End Game Trigger: Door Deck Delimitation:
The game is Door Deck Delimited--the game ends at the end of the turn in which the Door deck is depleted. Obviously if you have multiple (or all the) expansions, you should only shuffle up a few inches worth of cards! I had toyed with the idea of making it Time delimited, but then that's just asking for people to start stalling their turns towards the end so that somebody else cannot jump ahead (which would be lame). I feel this is a better method to determining the end of the game. If you run low on cards and want to keep going, you could always decide to add more cards to the deck and play on.

End Game Scoring: Monsters as Trophies:
1. If a monster is killed by a player, it is kept as a monster trophy! Each player will keep their monster trophies in a face down pile. All the normal rewards (treasures and levels) are of course gained and monsters that are not killed for any reason are simply placed in the discard pile.
2. End Game Scoring = Add up the level of the player and the levels of all the monsters in their trophy pile. If there is a tie, break it perhaps by highest summed gold values of all their items on the board or something.

This variant encourages players fighting and killing tougher monsters and there is little reason to gang up unnecessarily on one player just to keep the game from ending, nor will anyone ever automatically win by killing the potted plant or other low level monster. This makes the game more about killing monsters than gaining levels (although the levels help).

I am considering the following additions as well:
Max level of 10: no reason to go higher as the bulk of your points should come from trophies. Besides, I don't care for the Epic Munchkin rules.
GUAL cards: may be played for their usual effect OR discarded to draw a random monster from a rival's trophy pile and discard it. Hah!
Wandering Monster: When playing a wandering monster card, you may choose to play a monster from your trophy pile rather than your hand. Just keep in mind that you won't get that monster back: if it is killed, the killing player gets to add it to their trophy pile, and if it survives it is discarded just like any other monster that is not killed.
Asking for Help: Monster trophies may never be traded, however who gets a trophy can be part of the negotiation for becoming a helper in a battle, especially if there are multiple monsters in the fight.

I would be interested in any critique and suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a pretty good idea to breathe a little life back into Munchkin. I love it, but my group... not so much.

Can you just clarify what GUAL is? Not everyone knows the particular acronyms for games as well as the fans.

(Took me over a year to finally find out what DotA means, but then again I am not a PC gamer.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, yeah I had mentioned to a friend that I was trying to fix Munchkin and was asked "why bother?" I enjoy the game despite its flaws but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Still, it seems that most complaints about the game have to do with the very end, not the rest of the game, so maybe this will help.

GUAL card = Go Up A Level card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bishop
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I see as a potential issue is the fact that players may want to avoid helping others killing high level monsters since they know that the active player will gain a huge tie breaker trophy + possible wandering monster to back stab someone else later on. Having less help could stretch the game further than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.