Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Folow up to previous post: when to check LOS to signal/alien. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A signal will move 3 area. It enters the 2nd area, occupying the center hex, even though another figure is in the hex (as signals move is not yet finished it can temporarily move into occupied hex [8.5.1, 6th bullet]). At this point an Agent is determined to have LOS to the signal in the center hex. The signal is revealed, and a new spine critter is placed in the hex...obviously it must be placed in a hex adjacent to the center hex...

1. Must the newly placed spine critter be placed in a hex that still has LOS to the agent that originally triggered the signal?

2. Should the alien be placed in the most advantageous hex (for the alien), even if out of the Agent's LOS?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I check for LOS at the final signal position of each area and not only the center hex. Thus if the center hex is occupied I determine where the signal would stop and as the rules mention that signals have a priority to be revealed and it IS advantageous to signals being revealed I choose any hex that is in LOS over others which are out of LOS.

If there are multiple such hexes then a good old fashioned randomized method is used to determine the final hex.

If there is an official ruling I'd like to know it too. Many times where it is not blatantly obvious which move is the more advantageous for the alien/signal we use a dice roll to determine the exact position where he will stop its movement. It keeps the game going fast and stops any time-wasting debates among players regarding which is the most advantageous move for the enemy.

Hope that helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That WAS how I was playing, then I over analyzed the rules because it wasn't explicitly stated...usually always best to keep things simple! Your method is quite likely the "Official" Rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you think LOS may be possible, start moving the alien hex by hex, not area by area. The moment it is in LOS, put an alien figure there and stop all movement.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
When you think LOS may be possible, start moving the alien hex by hex, not area by area. The moment it is in LOS, put an alien figure there and stop all movement.




The rules and some posts in the forum (w/ replies by designer) indicate (or at least appear to!) that Signals/aliens move Area by Area, and not hex by hex in any circumstance...(8.5.1, 4th bullet for signal move)...

If we could get a definitive answer from the designer re the whole signal/alien/LOS/area or hex move/timing it would really help. I like to play how the designer intended, if possible.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Signals always move into LOS if they can (when redeploying within an area whose center hex is occupied, or when choosing which area to move into if there are multiple legal movement paths). Simone clarified this elsewhere in the forums; I'll try to track down the link tomorrow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Signals always move into LOS if they can (when redeploying within an area whose center hex is occupied, or when choosing which area to move into if there are multiple legal movement paths). Simone clarified this elsewhere in the forums; I'll try to track down the link tomorrow.


What happens if a signal must move, for example, 3 areas to fulfill its move requirement. Does the Signal redeploy in each area of it's move if the center hex is occupied (redeployment into an adjacent, unoccupied hex ONLY, and in LOS if possible), and then LOS is checked? OR does it continue it's move if no Agent had LOS to that Area's center hex, regardless if center hex occupied or not? The rules say it can enter an occupied hex, just not end its move there, and unless the area was it's final destination, moving into an occupied center hex out of LOS is simply part of it's Move Path...

Looking at rules...question: (8.5.1, 2nd bullet) "Signals move from center hex to center hex of an area. WHEN THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE"...
- Does this refer to center hex occupied by figure, or a Blocked Hex (terrain overlay piece) only?





















 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here't the link I mentioned where Simone clarifies that signals always attempt to gain LOS if they can:

Re: Alien/signal movement question

AslanFrodo wrote:
Does the Signal redeploy in each area of it's move if the center hex is occupied (redeployment into an adjacent, unoccupied hex ONLY, and in LOS if possible), and then LOS is checked? OR does it continue it's move if no Agent had LOS to that Area's center hex, regardless if center hex occupied or not? The rules say it can enter an occupied hex, just not end its move there, and unless the area was it's final destination, moving into an occupied center hex out of LOS is simply part of it's Move Path...


The way I play this is that the signal actually touches down in each area as it passes through (and if the center hex is occupied, it touches in a different hex, within LOS if it can). Otherwise you could get some weird setups (for instance, if the only open hex is out of LOS, but the center hex is in LOS, the signal would be revealed despite landing in a hex that is out of LOS).

This is a pretty edge case mostly, thankfully. Signal movement is usually quite straight forward.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.