Popular Tags: [View All]
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You roll four hearts and acquire the Gigazaur evolution "Reptilian Adaptation" (I hope I have that card name right; I don't have it in front of me right now--but it's the one that allows you to change all of one die face to whatever other one you want). Can you now change your four hearts to, say, bolts and collect four energy? Or would the card not kick in until a subsequent turn?

It seems like your dice are resolved already at that point and thus can't be changed, plus it would allow for double-dipping (so the same dice would give you two separate effects).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
Saurian Adaptibility. You don't get to double dip. If you change four hearts to lightning, then you don't have hearts anymore and can't heal with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction on the title of the card; I wish I could change the thread title.

I fully agree with your second sentence, but I'm not sure about your third. As I understand it, when you roll 3+ hearts, you get to heal AND you get the evolution card. But if that evolution card is Saurian Adaptability, you then can't change the hearts to gain some other benefit (like energy or victory points)--in that scenario, though, you will have already healed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can not use Saurian Adaptability on the same turn that you got it.

This is the same for all of the "change a die face" type cards.

1: You roll (and reroll), using any effects that let you change the die faces.
2: When you stop/can't reroll, and have used all the effects you can/want to, your dice are then "locked in".
3: The dice then take effect (you deal damage, heal, gain victory, etc...). This is also the step where you get your Evolution cards.

Getting an evolution is step 3. Using Saurian Adaptability would be step 1.

Side note: If you want to get really technical, you CAN use it the turn you got it, but by that point the dice have already had their effects, and the card would effectively do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarity.

I tried arguing this with my wife during our last game, but she was convinced that she could gain the card and apply it on the same turn. I argued your way: that the dice were done with at that point and that she couldn't start using that power until subsequent turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari C
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
"You can not use Saurian Adaptability on the same turn that you got it.

This is the same for all of the "change a die face" type cards.

1: You roll (and reroll), using any effects that let you change the die faces.
2: When you stop/can't reroll, and have used all the effects you can/want to, your dice are then "locked in".
3: The dice then take effect (you deal damage, heal, gain victory, etc...). This is also the step where you get your Evolution cards.

Getting an evolution is step 3. Using Saurian Adaptability would be step 1.

Side note: If you want to get really technical, you CAN use it the turn you got it, but by that point the dice have already had their effects, and the card would effectively do nothing."

in my understanding of the phrase "if a monster ends his rolls with at least 3 hearts", the evolution would be acquired prior to the dice taking effect. you therefore could use the dice to bolster the effects of the rolls. you wouldn't be able to change the roll because you have ended the roll portion of your turn. Saurian Adaptability would therefore be unusable, but other drawn evolutions might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
rec152 wrote:
in my understanding of the phrase "if a monster ends his rolls with at least 3 hearts", the evolution would be acquired prior to the dice taking effect. you therefore could use the dice to bolster the effects of the rolls. you wouldn't be able to change the roll because you have ended the roll portion of your turn. Saurian Adaptability would therefore be unusable, but other drawn evolutions might be.

This is why, in all my games now, Evolutions are "earned" during dice commitment, but aren't acquired until the card-purchase phase. So many fewer headaches and side arguments. "Thanks for mailing in the proof-of-purchase on your 3-Heart set, your Evolution will arrive in 6-8 business seconds."

Gaining an Evolution is not an effect of rolling at least 3 hearts, it is an effect of committing to at least 3 hearts. Roll Dice. Reroll Dice. Use Powers to change dice. Declare a commitment. (Opponent uses powers to change your dice.) Final Commitment. Dice are now immutable and you gain their effects.

Saurian Adaptability is a card that affects the pre-commitment. Any DICE-CHANGING power affects pre-commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rec152 wrote:

Try the "quote" button, located right next to the "reply" button, it's quite handy, saves a good bit of time vs. "copy/pasting".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari C
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
grarrrg wrote:
rec152 wrote:

Try the "quote" button, located right next to the "reply" button, it's quite handy, saves a good bit of time vs. "copy/pasting".

lesson learned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rec152 wrote:
lesson learned

And knowing is half the battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.