Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any english rules available for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's 2 different games in one set.

Dōbutsu Shōgi = Let's Catch the Lion!, and at that game's BGG page you can find English rules to download.

Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi = Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi which uses standard Shogi rules, just a smaller setup, and at that game's BGG page you can find English rules to download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
russ wrote:

Dōbutsu Shōgi = Let's Catch the Lion!, and at that game's BGG page you can find English rules to download.

Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi = Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi which uses standard Shogi rules, just a smaller setup, and at that game's BGG page you can find English rules to download.

I think Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi doesn’t actually use the full Shogi ruleset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Official English rules at the following links:
Dōbutsu Shōgi
Dōbutsu Shōgi Purring
Dōbutsu Shōgi Big Woods
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
russ wrote:

I think Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi doesn’t actually use the full Shogi ruleset?

Well, to be hopefully clearer: it uses standard Shogi rules, simply with a different setup and smaller board, and not all Shogi piece types are in play. But all the pieces which are in play are standard Shogi pieces and follow standard Shogi rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Ah, great, thanks.

The description page says
Quote:
Goro-Goro Dobutsu Shogi not only has a bigger board compared to Dobutsu Shogi, it also adds in some more rules of the full Shogi game.
and I was assuming that it would have said “adds in the remaining rules” instead of “adds in some more rules” if it were the same rulewise.

Sorry! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Ah, great, thanks.

The description page says
Quote:
Goro-Goro Dobutsu Shogi not only has a bigger board compared to Dobutsu Shogi, it also adds in some more rules of the full Shogi game.
and I was assuming that it would have said “adds in the remaining rules” instead of “adds in some more rules” if it were the same rulewise.

Sorry! blush

Ah, I can see how that description would be misleading or ambiguous... essentially it adds in all standard shogi rules except the specific rules about the movement of pieces which don't exist in Goro-Goro shogi.

Of course it could add those pieces' rules too, but they'd just be extra superfluous ballast since the pieces aren't in play... ("A rook moves like this..." "But I don't have a rook!" "True, but if you did have a rook somehow, then it would move like this...")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.