Subject: Alea big Box series. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Peters
United States
Glenwood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I am thinking of getting a game in the Alea Big Box series. The conflict is this: are the games in it too similar to bother getting more than one? Or are the rules, gameplay, theming, etc. different enough to get more than a few? I have none yet, but I finally have an opportunity to buy Puerto Rico, and I also was looking into Macao, which was rated highly. Would you suggest getting both of them or just one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are completely different. I would suggest Puerto Rico. It was #1 ranked game for many years for a reason. Although personally I don't care for it much anymore. I think the best game in the series is Ra, although Castles of Burgundy is also quite good. But Ra is much simpler/faster. After that In The Year Of The Dragon.

Many people (such as myself) get every Alea big box game as a matter of principle. There were a few years in there where the output was spotty (Mammoth Hunters and Fifth Avenue, and maybe Rum & Pirates, depending on who you ask), or at least not as well received as previous efforts, but has been pretty solid since In The Year of The Dragon. Of course it's also been 6 Felds in a row now, so some users may find some sameness on that six.

Full list: Alea Big Box. Scroll down and sort by rank. That will give you the best aggregation of all input of BGG users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will echo Curt in saying that if you are only getting one Alea big box game, go for Puerto Rico. It's an incredibly solid design that still holds up well today.

Furthermore, as the Alea game series was the go-to game series in its hey-day there is/was a great range of diversity between titles (note: this isn't to say that they aren't worth picking up nowadays, but rather that the game market has exploded). This is all-the-more the case with its broad range of designers earlier on. Some games are still unique to this day - I'm thinking in particular of Rudiger Dorn's Genoa (i.e., there's no other heavy economic negotiation game like it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I third Puerto Rico. It's settled then.

I agree with everything Curt said about the series as a whole.

Taj Mahal and Macao are also really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Peters wrote:
The conflict is this: are the games in it too similar to bother getting more than one?

Kind of like asking if KFC and McD's are too similar since they are both fast food places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the genoa comment, Chinatown is just as heavy as genoa in negotiations, and it is an actual Alea big box in German.

Buying one game...depends on a lot of factors.
Taj Mahal
Notre dame
In the year of the dragon
Ra
Puerto Rico
Traders of genoa
Bora bora

There is too many that do not scratch the same itch except maybe The recent Feld titles. I am not a fan of Macao so I don't think it is one of the best Alea big box, but castles of burgundy is a good one too, with Bora bora Feld's best for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico for first buy again here

Then very different: Chinatown

Several other good games: Notre Dame, Castles of Burgundy and Year of the Dragon. I never played Ra though. Princes of Florence is a great game as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.