Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that you 1775 masters might help me understand the point of the flee box. I haven't played a game yet and understand that on a dice roll in battle a unit may be placed within the flee box. My question is, what is the difference between your units fleeing and getting destroyed by enemy fire. Is it simply because on your roll units may disappear, and your roll opponents may simply destroy remaining units?
Is there a timing subtlety as to when your units return to the pool?

Also does this game play best with 4 or 2?
Looking forward to playing this game.
Thanks for anyone who can get my head around the above questions.

Wiz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of your turn you get to reinforce with four units and any that have fled. So if all your units are destroyed you only get to reinforce with the four units. If you had two units flee than you'll get to reinforce with six units.

Never played with four players before but I know it turns into a team game then. 2 vs. 2.

The game is a blast to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flees are quite different than getting your units destroyed. The biggest difference is that flees are less bad.

At the beginning of your faction's turn, you get 4 cubes of that faction to place in any city that is in a territory you fully occupy. You also get all that faction's units in the flee box.

So red (who's dice has no flees) will always place 4 cubes at the start of their turn (no matter how many of their units have left the board prior) whereas yellow (who's dice has 2 flee symbols) will probably usually place 4 cubes + the fled cubes from prior turns.

There are more subtle strategies involved, like invading an area with a mass of yellow cubes and a few reds so the yellows can be bait while your reds lay down the real pounding.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My take is the dice handle morale checks without the need for separate morale rolls. Fled units represent that have routed from the battle and eliminated units have been rendered combat ineffective and need to be rested and refitted.

Fled units would not necessarily have taken much in the way of losses and so could reform relatively quickly, which is why all fled units can be brought back into the game on your next turn. Eliminated units take time to be reconstituted and are limited to your side's reinforcement rate.

That's how I view it but not sure if that's what the designers had in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I view reinforcements as exactly that: Reinforcements, new units that have possibly never seen battle before. The ones removed by Hit rolls are dead.

The fled units I see as what they are: They fled, were caught and sent to where they were needed most
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fled units probably represent a historical truth: many units did a lot of fleeing, on both sides. Given the time period and sparse population, they just stuck to the back country and regrouped. Thus fled units materialize in their home/controlled areas, ready to fight again after being resupplied with new arms and equipment (because they fled instead of being killed or captured). It's an imperfect abstraction, much like most of the game, but itmakes interesting choices: do you fight with your strongest units, or do you try to get more runaways in case you lose?

1v1 can be longer than 2v2 because each person has to consider a lot, whereas two people see more stuff. But I've played some long 4p games. Depends on the personalities involved which is best. If your teammate is on the same page as you, and you can both agree on a plan quickly, it actually goes a bit faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
4v4? Is that when playing with both the "Historical Re-enactment Nerds" and "Fox News vs MSNBC" expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4v4? Is that when playing with both the "Historical Re-enactment Nerds" and "Fox News vs MSNBC" expansions?

Fixed. That's what I get for replying from my phone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for all your wonderful responses. It is now much much more clear how the and why the flee box is there.
Now I just gotta get the game to the table...Probably with 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.