5 Posts

Tide of Iron» Forums » General

Subject: Reinventing the recon and the demolition expert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
I know that timing of new ideas is a bit bad, but I'll give them anyway.

The recon specialization seems a bit, well, recon is such an extreme important thing and I feel like a bit more 'recon' feel could be added to it.

What it currently does is that it gives the troop +1 speed and it cannot be attacked from long distance. Which is fine, fair and square. But, still, there are many other options we could add in addition.

-a recon troop always count as fresh when regarding spotting for artillery & mortar. (this is not my idea. I just repost it)

-a recon troop could be given a concealed marker.
Maybe even a similar effect of camouflage.

-It could also be given a 'spot concealed units' ability.
For example, roll a dice for every concealed enemy within LOS of a recon troop. At 5+, remove the concealed marker.

-It could also be grant advantages to artillery cards.

---

A second specialization which I feel is a bit under fluffed is the demolition. Now, the best use of demolition is to place a trap. If you can toss the bombs, its a completely other ballpark. And its fine, but I miss a lot of things. I miss blowing up things. So here is my proposals

-Let them be able to blow up bridges!!!
(I know this could lead to a lot of havoc, but that is the entire point)

-Sometimes, throwing a bomb into a hex doesn't feel right. Sometimes a risk have to be taken, and the charges carefully placed before something is blown up. So, demolition experts could be given a special assault action. Instead of inflicting damage, if at least one squad survives, the demolition expert could place a bomb in the hex, at the house or pillbox. Two charges should automatic destroy a house and or a pillbox, and possible also possible damaging the troops inside. So you need two such assault before being able to destroy a pillbox. Further, since the demolition is not interested in actually assaulting head on, but only survive, it could be given a bonus cover dice when performing such an assault.

-Further, general, two charges should destroy a house automatic, and increased reasons for wanting to blow things up should be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah timing is a little off but we can modify both specializations when we get a chance

bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
skinsfan wrote:
yeah timing is a little off but we can modify both specializations when we get a chance

bill

perhaps as one of the advanced/optional rules.

personally I like recon the way it is (although I certainly like some of the ideas posted above). I've never liked Alpha and Bravo, to be honest. You don't get that much of a better marksman or "battlewise" over the course of a single battle-let alone a single "kill"-to justify the increase in firepower and/or defensive capabilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grand Stone wrote:
I know that timing of new ideas is a bit bad, but I'll give them anyway.

The recon specialization seems a bit, well, recon is such an extreme important thing and I feel like a bit more 'recon' feel could be added to it.

What it currently does is that it gives the troop +1 speed and it cannot be attacked from long distance. Which is fine, fair and square. But, still, there are many other options we could add in addition.

-a recon troop always count as fresh when regarding spotting for artillery & mortar. (this is not my idea. I just repost it)

-a recon troop could be given a concealed marker.
Maybe even a similar effect of camouflage.

-It could also be given a 'spot concealed units' ability.
For example, roll a dice for every concealed enemy within LOS of a recon troop. At 5+, remove the concealed marker.

-It could also be grant advantages to artillery cards.

---

A second specialization which I feel is a bit under fluffed is the demolition. Now, the best use of demolition is to place a trap. If you can toss the bombs, its a completely other ballpark. And its fine, but I miss a lot of things. I miss blowing up things. So here is my proposals

-Let them be able to blow up bridges!!!
(I know this could lead to a lot of havoc, but that is the entire point)

-Sometimes, throwing a bomb into a hex doesn't feel right. Sometimes a risk have to be taken, and the charges carefully placed before something is blown up. So, demolition experts could be given a special assault action. Instead of inflicting damage, if at least one squad survives, the demolition expert could place a bomb in the hex, at the house or pillbox. Two charges should automatic destroy a house and or a pillbox, and possible also possible damaging the troops inside. So you need two such assault before being able to destroy a pillbox. Further, since the demolition is not interested in actually assaulting head on, but only survive, it could be given a bonus cover dice when performing such an assault.

-Further, general, two charges should destroy a house automatic, and increased reasons for wanting to blow things up should be made.

Of course these ideas could also be implemented by issueing new operation cards. That's one of the things I like about TOI: the possibility to add more flavor and rules to a scenario by using these cards rather than sometimes unnecessarily changing the core rules. For example, I like all the ideas presented above regarding the recon special ability. Picking just one to possibly add to the core rules or as an optional rule would sell the other ideas short, whereas having an op card for each of them, would keep the core rules as simple as is now, but could add one of more of the great ideas above to specific scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
Yes Operation cards are fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.