Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this demoed before but never played and thought I'd not really care fot the scale...wow wrong! It really had great depth, a lot of choices, and due to the choices and chance we had one of the most fun and epic games of all time

Warning: My summary is from memory, Scott will likely have much better notes

Germany focused diplomacy on the Low Countries enabling them to occupy there. That provided the opportunity for England and France to become allies, just in time because Germany was able to attack Paris directly from the Low Countries shortly after. France avoided collapse by making to of 3 rolls for a 6 on one die per roll. Faced with disaster England mounted an invasion pushing Germany back to the Low Countries and holding for the counter attack

Japan decided to not antagonize the US and focused on china ultimately occupying all of china but for one area that England grabbed via diplomacy. At hthis point Russia , Italy and Japan have still not declared war on anyone. Eastern Europe is still neutral

With lend lease England and France were able to build up and hold off Germany so Germany goes to total war footing, which causes US to ally with England and France ( 1/3 chance)...which allowed the final offensive in France to be thwarted. Now on a last ditch effort Germany turns east to grab some resources from Poland.unfortunately for Germany they didn't pull a chit for the army builds until after the us,uk and France had built up so they were unable to take Poland and return to the west in time to stop the occupation of the Ruhr Bavaria and Kiel areas

During this time the us declares war on the Japanese and starts to methodically eliminate the Japanese surface fleets and carriers. A landing on the home islands is a bloody exchange barely repulsing us troops, then Japan was able to reinforce the islands with some air (all fleets having been anchored at the bottom of various harbors across the pacific.

When we called the game Russia had pushed the Japanese out of china, along with a few areas liberated by the us but the home islands were still Japanese. The next turn builds for Russia and the allies would have likely defeated all the fascist powers but would communism or democracy come out on top? It would have been very close when the last of the axis powers fell

Great time thanks!

Charles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. What was the playing time like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time for most of us so went about 9 hours. Without questions and double checking, and a bit of experience probably 6. Then again with experience it may have been a different game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have time to add much right now, but with a more active Russia, I think events would have come to a head much sooner...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a good portion of Saturday just watching the game. It is that interesting. I know that by the time it hits print it will be a very effective and interesting game that my game group will insist on playing repeatedly. Quoting Emperor Plapatine, "I'll be watching your progress." When I can P500 it, I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan M.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cataclysm is currently my "most anticipated" wargame under developement.

While eagerly waiting for more news I can't help searching for any clue on the game system in the playtest materials and interpret it like a cold war analyst bending on the first blurry picture of some new soviet war asset.

Thus two questions arose:

1) I see that in the playtest map strait waters are marked with two types of connections: red and green double-ended arrows. What's the difference between them?

2) I understand that the game counters will have two sides: one normal and one upgraded (infantry/tank army; tactical/strategic air; surface/carrier fleet). But among the playtest conters I see also a few "upgrade" tank and air counters. What are they for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest! We should have a bit of news soon.

tristan330 wrote:
1) I see that in the playtest map strait waters are marked with two types of connections: red and green double-ended arrows. What's the difference between them?

Red arrows indicate full adjacency. Green arrows indicate areas adjacent for air operations only.

Quote:
2) I understand that the game counters will have two sides: one normal and one upgraded (infantry/tank army; tactical/strategic air; surface/carrier fleet). But among the playtest conters I see also a few "upgrade" tank and air counters. What are they for?

Everything is mediated through chit pull (including builds). The upgrade markers are purchased and put in the cup, when they come out you get to flip (upgrade) an on-map unit. You can't have actual upgraded units in the cup since there is no way to track which side the unit should come out on (regular or upgraded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan M.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the prompt and clear answer!
I'll stay tuned for the news...
Do you think that making Italy a three-areas country would cause play balance problems? It would seem more historical to me since it took the allies three years to get to the north from the southern landing areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only four areas from Moscow to Berlin. This is big scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan M.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the chosen scale imply a certain level of abstraction. Moreover I just realized that Italy is already a three-areas country if we also consider Sicily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.