Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I get the basics. If a 5-4 TAC takes a hit, you replace it with a 4-4 TAC. My question is "When can I rebuild the factor?" Do I have to wait until an entire unit is eliminated, or can I rebuild it right away? I couldn't find this in the rules.

If you can rebuild at any time, can you break TACs down into "change" voluntarily? I realize this could cause a lot of counter clutter, and just wondering if it's legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that air factors can be broken down into smaller increments. As well I would allow replacement of less than 5 air factors. Same with ships. I'm not an expert but without clarification in the rules that is how I would play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 15.11, air and naval factors can be constructed in any increments the owner wants. Construction happens in the production phase at the start of each season.

Rule 1.1 has an example where a 5-4 counter is split into five 1-4 counters, its not just when they move to different hexes or take losses. I use it to make false stacks to confuse my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Colin! I kept reading the "Elimination" definition instead of the "Factor" definition. This is what makes sense, so I'm glad that's the way it works.

I have Barbarossa set up and ready to go. The no locking ZoCs (heck, no ZoCs at all for most units) should make it interesting. What I don't have a feel for at this point is BRP expenditures. Gut feeling is that the Soviets are going to have to spend a lot of their BRPs on replacing units, while the Germans will be able to spend more on offensives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, the russian army will take a pounding. If an encirclement seems imminent I voluntarily remove the exposed units and rebuild them further back. With strategic movement its like always having the last move. However its costly in BRP. Thank heavens for cheap Russian infantry and voluntary retreat.

In most Barbarossa plays the Russians will have to give up on a continuous line in autumn or winter. The front becomes too long once the Riga-Nikolaev narrow is passed. Instead they must resort to holding objective cities strongly. Accept that this is inevitable. Stringing weak units out in a single line is just asking to get them pocketed. Falling back to objective cities has a couple of advantages though your flanks will be in the air. Enemy TAC is probably out of range, supply is guaranteed and the Germans may expose their flanks getting there.

The general offensive in Summer is pre-paid. Germany can probably get away with operating just army groups North and South in the 2nd and 3rd turns. Take care the panzers get too far from the HQs. That leaves 60BRP for battle losses. They can draw some BRP from Finland and Romania. I normally buy the paratroops and use their extra stacking to hold the base of a breakthrough, leaving the panzers free to exploit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.