Popular Tags: [View All]
RM Jordan
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After six games and various starting set ups I have yet to beat Automa. My personal best was 26 VP using the Advance Visitor Variant and all the Tier 1 Expansions on the Extended Board side#1.

If you are new to Viticulture you owe it to yourself to see how you measure up as a vintner in Tuscany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the Full Tier 1 expansions plus the extended board. Played the hard level and got beat 35 to 33VP. Lots of fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Chalupa
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I've beaten it 3 times in 15 or so attempts. Arboriculture is soooo damn useful to get the VP's + worker happiness. I daresay I don't think I've beaten it without this expansion.
Its tough, the solo expansion. You need some decent vines to plant and orders to fill right off the bat. Preferably you luck into some Olive Oil or tomatoes ASAP to add on to the orders(Hence Arboriculture) for more VP's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
I did the Full Tier 1 expansions plus the extended board. Played the hard level and got beat 35 to 33VP. Lots of fun though.

My record for that combination is 43 VP .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
mortenmdk wrote:
patton55 wrote:

Am I missing something? The automa starts with 2 influence on each of the 2 VP spaces, and 1 influence on the 1 VP spaces, right? I felt like I had so many better things to do, and felt I couldn't justify placing workers on the "place or move" action time and time again. I ended up losing 11-0 in this section of the board. Because, really, I would have to get 3 influence markers onto a single 2 VP space just to beat him in that space, (or 2 onto a 1 VP space), right? And 2 of those 3 markers (or 1 of the 2) wouldn't even give me the bonus for that space, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
patton55 wrote:

Am I missing something? The automa starts with 2 influence on each of the 2 VP spaces, and 1 influence on the 1 VP spaces, right? I felt like I had so many better things to do, and felt I couldn't justify placing workers on the "place or move" action time and time again. I ended up losing 11-0 in this section of the board. Because, really, I would have to get 3 influence markers onto a single 2 VP space just to beat him in that space, (or 2 onto a 1 VP space), right? And 2 of those 3 markers (or 1 of the 2) wouldn't even give me the bonus for that space, right?

To be honest my memory is starting to get a little fuzzy on the details regarding this , but as I remember it if you place 3 markers on a 2 VP space, then you get the 2 VP.

Now you might think that this means that you're getting 2 VP for 3 actions which is 2/3 VP per action. That's not very impressive, but that's only part of the story.

First of all not only are you gaining 2 VP, but the Automa is also losing 2 VP, and since you're competing only with the Automa this means that you're actually gaining 4 VP on the Automa, making it 4/3 VP per action, which is rather nice.

Second you're also getting bonuses from placing stars on the influence map you need to consider that also, so in total you're actually getting for example 4/3 VP plus 1 visitor card per action, which is some of the best value per action you can get in the game.

Thirdly the bonus action is to place another influence token, which means that for one bonus action token you'll get another 4/3 VP plus 1 visitor card. Compare that to for example the bonus for fulfilling a wine order which is 1 VP. Comparing these two we see that spending a bonus action token on the influence action bonus nets us an extra 1/3 VP plus a visitor card compared to spending it on the fulfill wine order action.

So in total, for 3 actions and 3 bonus action tokens you get 8 VP and 6 cards, that's hard to beat for value .

I hope that this explanation makes sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
mortenmdk wrote:
feldfan2014 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
patton55 wrote:

To be honest my memory is starting to get a little fuzzy on the details regarding this , but as I remember it if you place 3 markers on a 2 VP space, then you get the 2 VP.

Now you might think that this means that you're getting 2 VP for 3 actions which is 2/3 VP per action. That's not very impressive, but that's only part of the story.

First of all not only are you gaining 2 VP, but the Automa is also losing 2 VP, and since you're competing only with the Automa this means that you're actually gaining 4 VP on the Automa, making it 4/3 VP per action, which is rather nice.

Second you're also getting bonuses from placing stars on the influence map you need to consider that also, so in total you're actually getting for example 4/3 VP plus 1 visitor card per action, which is some of the best value per action you can get in the game.

Thirdly the bonus action is to place another influence token, which means that for one bonus action token you'll get another 4/3 VP plus 1 visitor card. Compare that to for example the bonus for fulfilling a wine order which is 1 VP. Comparing these two we see that spending a bonus action token on the influence action bonus nets us an extra 1/3 VP plus a visitor card compared to spending it on the fulfill wine order action.

So in total, for 3 actions and 3 bonus action tokens you get 8 VP and 6 cards, that's hard to beat for value .

I hope that this explanation makes sense?

I had to reread the rules after reading your comment. What I did not realize was that when you PLACE a star onto a space on the map, you still get the benefit of the space, regardless of how many stars you may have already previously had there. You only don't get the benefit of the space when you MOVE a star. I was only getting the benefit of the space for my first placement. I had had so many wasted card draws playing my way, and now I can see what you said makes sense about getting the better value of 8 VP and 6 cards for the 6 stars. I will try it this way.

Here is another thing... do you ever take the $2 spot instead of a card spot, or is it situational? Yes, I know that is only a 1 VP space on the map, but you could always move that star later on to a 2 VP space.

Is drawing a card inherently more valuable than $2? It depends on the cards I draw, I guess. Usually early on I am desperate for money to get the extra workers ASAP and build 2-3 structures ASAP, and the $2 is sometimes huge! Yes, I can flip a property for more than $2, but I have had games where it gets blocked the first couple of rounds, and I have to use my grande for something like planting, harvesting, or getting the extra worker that also gets blocked.

What I find is that having a lot of cards doesn't seem to help me as much as I think it should. First of all, I have a hand limit of 7 cards at the end of my turn, and that is total for any vines, summer/winter visitors, and contracts, not to mention structures. Yes, the more I collect helps me cycle through them to keep the better ones, but then I have the problem of not being able to play many of the visitors anyway due to the limited spaces on the board, even with the bonus action, 3 of which I have to use for placing a star (as mentioned above).

Also, do you try to get all 6 workers every game?

One last thing... what order on the wake-up track do you use generally, or does it depend on what Mamas cards you start with (or any other factors)? I have found that I almost always want the last space first, to get the extra gray worker, but then for the second round I have to take the first spot and get no bonus at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
I had to reread the rules after reading your comment. What I did not realize was that when you PLACE a star onto a space on the map, you still get the benefit of the space, regardless of how many stars you may have already previously had there. You only don't get the benefit of the space when you MOVE a star. I was only getting the benefit of the space for my first placement. I had had so many wasted card draws playing my way, and now I can see what you said makes sense about getting the better value of 8 VP and 6 cards for the 6 stars. I will try it this way.

Here is another thing... do you ever take the $2 spot instead of a card spot, or is it situational? Yes, I know that is only a 1 VP space on the map, but you could always move that star later on to a 2 VP space.

Is drawing a card inherently more valuable than $2? It depends on the cards I draw, I guess. Usually early on I am desperate for money to get the extra workers ASAP and build 2-3 structures ASAP, and the $2 is sometimes huge! Yes, I can flip a property for more than $2, but I have had games where it gets blocked the first couple of rounds, and I have to use my grande for something like planting, harvesting, or getting the extra worker that also gets blocked.

What I find is that having a lot of cards doesn't seem to help me as much as I think it should. First of all, I have a hand limit of 7 cards at the end of my turn, and that is total for any vines, summer/winter visitors, and contracts, not to mention structures. Yes, the more I collect helps me cycle through them to keep the better ones, but then I have the problem of not being able to play many of the visitors anyway due to the limited spaces on the board, even with the bonus action, 3 of which I have to use for placing a star (as mentioned above).

Also, do you try to get all 6 workers every game?

One last thing... what order on the wake-up track do you use generally, or does it depend on what Mamas cards you start with (or any other factors)? I have found that I almost always want the last space first, to get the extra gray worker, but then for the second round I have to take the first spot and get no bonus at all.

Yes, I take the 2 lira sometimes, as you say having extra lira can be huge initially.

Other than that I prefer not to talk about my strategy and instead have players discover the strategy of the game for themselves. At least I'd like to wait until the game has been available for a longer time. I hope that's not being too annoying .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
mortenmdk wrote:
Other than that I prefer not to talk about my strategy and instead have players discover the strategy of the game for themselves. At least I'd like to wait until the game has been available for a longer time. I hope that's not being too annoying .

Of course it's annoying! But I understand completely. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Of course it's annoying! But I understand completely. shake

Sorry .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.