David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the 2 player rules: [pg. 9]

Quote:

.. players should sum up their scores on the Life Points track and Data Points track. The winner is the player who ended the game with the highest sum of both results.

Example: There are two factions, the Scientists and the Aliens. When the game ends the Scientists have 8 Life Points and 7 Data Points, 15 total. The Aliens have only 13 Life Points. The Scientists win.

For 3 or 4 Players: Deathmatch [pg. 15]

Quote:

2) During setup each player places his marker on the "0" space of the Life Points track. [seems like it should add "and on the Data Points track as well."]

4) When any player gains 20 Life Points or 20 Data Points, he immediately wins the game.

So my question is, why aren't the data and life points added together like the 2 player version? It seems like the Scientists and Greys are at a disadvantage having to focus on one or the other.

We ran a 4 player game where the scientists seemed way behind, with 8 data points and 7 life points. But if added together he would have been competitive. Now it may be that the "all or nothing" life/data rule is intended, but it does seem to handicap the scientists who appear equal at data and life (camcorders and defense systems).

I realize it was just one game. Fyi the greys ended up winning, with the marines a close second.

Thanks,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Treat the rule paragraphs as amendments, not direct "replacements". Refer back to the setup phase at the begining of manual. What it tries to say, is simply that everything you've read so far is still valid, but:
- you start with life tokens on 0, not 20, and therefore
- the win condtion is modified, so that you win instantly if you accumulate 20 life points (and not get all your opponents to 0, that would be silly) or 20 data points. Still, whenever the game is ended by forced end (the end game token moves to "end" field), you add points and the biggest total value, wins. Exactly as in 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh.. So your saying if someone had ended the game via the power token, and the scientist had the highest data and life point total, he would win?

That makes much more sense, and if I may say so, not obvious from the rule book. Thanks for clearing it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Cygnusx1 wrote:
Ahh.. So your saying if someone had ended the game via the power token, and the scientist had the highest data and life point total, he would win?

Of course. Otherwise, as you've said yourself, some factions would be clearly in worse position, due the the way they were designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cronje
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cygnusx1 wrote:

That makes much more sense, and if I may say so, not obvious from the rule book. Thanks for clearing it up.

Don't have the rulebook on me, but don't the 3/4 player rules say something like "use the 2 player set up but make the following changes..."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It does, but the way it's presented and styled, it's somewhat easy to assume it tells you something different. It could avoid it if some more text was used, even at the cost of conciseness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Rubi wrote:
Cygnusx1 wrote:

Don't have the rulebook on me, but don't the 3/4 player rules say something like "use the 2 player set up but make the following changes..."?

It does. But in this case it appeared that it was changing the win conditions of deathmatch to "20 life or data points immediately wins," not adding to them.

Perhaps it's just me that got it wrong. But it seems that's what this subforum is for, to clarify misunderstandings, and I'm happy to know the correct way now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.