Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're asking yourself, how good can it really be, let me explain. Is it the greatest game I've ever played? No. Does it have the best components I've seen? No. Do you get a lot of stuff in the box? Of course not... it's a small box! (pun intended of course... feel free to roll eyes and groan)

However, what it is, is basically the perfect storm... the right ingredients, in just the right amounts to make the perfect meal. Let me show you why this really should be in your collection. But first, so you can see a little about my background, here is a list of games that I own and love to play:

Descent 2nd ed, Cutthroat Caverns, Lord of the Rings LCG, Warhammer Invasion LCG, Game of Thrones board game, Horrorclix, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Blood Bowl Team Manager, Dreadball, Lost Legends, Dungeoneer, Mage Wars, Lords of Waterdeep, Mythic Battles, Scrumbrawl, Thunderstone, Star Trek Fleet Captains, and Tomb. I also have Myth on pre-order and can't wait for it. I LOVE a good dungeon crawl, and love games where you can do a campaign, level up, etc. I have a pretty wide range of games I enjoy.

Back to the review though... this game has a LOT going for it. First, it's not expensive (IF it's still available though. That's a big IF). I own the Olympus Edition, and I think I may have gotten one of the very last copies directly from Small Box Games. In fact, I wasn't sure I was even going to get it, and had posted on here back in January to see if anyone had any issues with this company in the past. Luckily, it turned out that some things had just come up, and John Clowdus wrote me and let me know what was going on. He reimbursed my shipping cost to make up for it and I can't thank him enough. But I'm rambling here... again, if you can find it new, and it's still in print, the game is pretty inexpensive. The next thing, the components are fantastic. True there is not much to actually speak of (90 cards in total, and 20 metal coins). But the coins are really nice... it feels so much better than card board tokens or the like. And the cards... oh wow... just really so well put together. Quite a bit of information on the cards, but it's never "crowded". You get gorgeous artwork, front and back, the stats, name, and abilities, and it all fits together perfectly. My wife and I really do admire the artwork. Next up, set up time. So many of the games I own have a LOT of components, pieces, boards, figures, etc. Instead, here, you have your cities completely set up, cards and coins passed out, and deck shuffled and ready in less than 5 minutes. So nice.

So we have inexpensive, gorgeous, easy and quick set up. What else? Just about a perfect rule book. It's small, and not many pages. But it's well put together, explains pretty much any and everything, and unlike so many games out there, you're not scrambling around FAQ's, boards, forums, etc looking for rules, how-to's, etc. And the game is really easy to learn. After reading the book, I broke it out, and my wife and I set it up. We were playing like pros by the end of the first game. We played one more, and then added in the Heroes and Spirits. And again, no problems! We love it.

And the damn thing is fun! So well thought out. Never before have I seen a game where literally EVERY card is and/or can be important. You just don't want to get rid of anything! The abilities are so well done, and play off each other so well. You can create awesome combos, and really string together a series of punishing blows. But the great thing... just when you think you have your opponent reeling... they slam you in the face, and you suddenly find yourself with no cards, or no coins, or staring at a loss when you just knew victory was yours.

And there is quite a bit of strategy, and depth to a game consisting of just cards and some coins. You really have to think sometimes, three or four moves ahead. But it never feels overwhelming!

And of course when you're done, it's back in the box and put away in 2-3 minutes. And it takes up no room on your shelf.

So you get low cost, gorgeous, smart and fun gameplay, depth and strategy, easy to learn and teach, nice rule book, easy to set up and put away...

Yes you have games that give you TONS of "stuff" for your money. Yes some games have more strategy, depth, more to do and see, etc. But in the end, this game really has just about the right amount of "everything" to make it so highly recommended! I am so glad we got this game. My wife and I love playing this. If you don't own it, I recommend trying to get a copy if you can. When you first get the "small box" (again groan and roll eyes) you may feel cheated. DON'T! Open it, enjoy what you do see and get inside. And prepare to play a game that you will probably find yourself wanting to play again and again and again! And I didn't even mention the alternate start rules, and/or the drafting scenarios which can nicely shake things up.

I just hope that we somehow see more of this in the future. From other game makers of course.... and I would LOVE to see more to this game maybe down the road. I love a good expansion... but maybe then we'd need a medium box and then where would we really be!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
You’ve made me bump up this game on my needs-to-hit-the-table-soon list! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the Olympus edition from Small Box, too, and I agree, it's such a great game. The low price isn't even a major factor: it's just a good game. Lots of re-playability with no need for endless expansions, and a game whose mechanics match the theme perfectly. A small treasure, indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is a great game: one of those the whole is greater than the sum of its parts kind of things. Incredible artwork, great game play, nice coins and then put it all together and it's even better than you imagine. I love playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't agree more - I love this game and the artwork is absolutely beautiful laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my wife's favorites. We always seem to have very close games...I don't remember our scores ever being more than a few points apart. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
You’ve made me bump up this game on my needs-to-hit-the-table-soon list! Thanks.

It is so good, man. Go play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
franklincobb wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

It is so good, man. Go play it!

Okay, I’ll learn it tonight after I finish editing these two chapters and teach it to Jane tomorrow.

Thanks for the push!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
really looking forward to your thoughts after the push!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands down the best total packaging of any board or card game I own. I would love nothing more than for this game to find its way into store fronts, online retailers, and consistently be in stock. This game deserves to be in the top 100, in my opinion, alongside games such as Netrunner, Glory to Rome, Race for the Galaxy and others.

Phenomenal game...phenomenal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.