Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Am I correct in how I am interpreting this enemy battle plan?

I) If a French unit is in the same battle sheet area ("melee"), disregard/discard the plan and use a "default" plan.

II) a) If in line formation, the plan automatically activates. If in column,
roll for activation. If plan activates.....

b) IF THE ENEMY FORCE IS IN A BATTLE SHEET AREA ADJACENT TO A FRENCH UNIT
advance the enemy force into the section that contains the
French force..
(I take it this would include moving into an area
"behind" the front lines...ie, an enemy unit in the "Enemy Front"
area could attack a French force in the "Enemy Approach" area?
ALSO, if there are French forces in areas on both side of the enemy
unit, does the enemy (you) get to choose which French unit to attack?)

French force(s) "attacked" must make a shock check.

(What if there are NO French forces in an "adjacent" area? Does the
enemy unit not advance..ie, toss out the drawn battle plan and revert to using a "default" battle plan?)

c) After the French do their shock check, IF THE ENEMY UNIT IS AN INFANTRY UNIT they perform an "attack" on French forces either
in their area ("melee" with the 3/3 DRM) or an adjacent area.
(If there are French forces in both these regions, which does the
enemy force "attack"? Do they get to choose or must they attack the
French forces in their area?)

d) Attack again (!) (ie, enemy INFANTRY forces get to do an
initial "shock check attack", an attack, then ANOTHER attack, while a CAVALRY force would just do the initial "shock attack" and one attack.)

e) Change force to line orientation (if not already in it.)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Am I correct in how I am interpreting this enemy battle plan?

I) If a French unit is in the same battle sheet area ("melee"), disregard/discard the plan and use a "default" plan.

II) a) If in line formation, the plan automatically activates. If in column,
roll for activation. If plan activates.....

b) IF THE ENEMY FORCE IS IN A BATTLE SHEET AREA ADJACENT TO A FRENCH UNIT
advance the enemy force into the section that contains the
French force..
(I take it this would include moving into an area
"behind" the front lines...ie, an enemy unit in the "Enemy Front"
area could attack a French force in the "Enemy Approach" area?
ALSO, if there are French forces in areas on both side of the enemy
unit, does the enemy (you) get to choose which French unit to attack?)

French force(s) "attacked" must make a shock check.

(What if there are NO French forces in an "adjacent" area? Does the
enemy unit not advance..ie, toss out the drawn battle plan and revert to using a "default" battle plan?)

c) After the French do their shock check, IF THE ENEMY UNIT IS AN INFANTRY UNIT they perform an "attack" on French forces either
in their area ("melee" with the 3/3 DRM) or an adjacent area.
(If there are French forces in both these regions, which does the
enemy force "attack"? Do they get to choose or must they attack the
French forces in their area?)

d) Attack again (!) (ie, enemy INFANTRY forces get to do an
initial "shock check attack", an attack, then ANOTHER attack, while a CAVALRY force would just do the initial "shock attack" and one attack.)

e) Change force to line orientation (if not already in it.)

Thanks.

b) you NEVER go past an enemy unit in this game; if no enemy force is aadjacent do nothing (don't switch to default!)
c) you attack in melee before, then if no more units in melee and you scored 2 hits you can assign the second hit to the adjacent enemy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
CptWasp wrote:

c) you attack in melee before, then if no more units in melee and you scored 2 hits you can assign the second hit to the adjacent enemy

Still not sure how this flows.

The chit reads;

1:Adv
Inf:Atk
Attack
Line.

I read this as;

1: Adv (IF the unit advances into an area with a French unit, the French unit has to make a shock check.)

Inf:Atk (An INFANTRY unit gets to make an attack (either a melee attack if the French force is in the same area or a non-melee attack if the French force is in an adjacent area)

Attack (An infantry unit gets to carry out ANOTHER attack. A cavalry unit gets to carry out an attack.)

Line. (Turn unit to line formation.)

Looks to me like an enemy infantry unit could potentially do 3 "attacks" (inflicting a shock check with the "1:Adv", followed by an attack with the "Inf:Atk" then a second attack with the final "Attack") while a cavalry unit would potentially get to perform 2 attacks (a shock check with the "1:Adv" and one attack with the final "Attack".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The poster above has the correct interpretation.

The first part of the order, "1: Adv" states a prerequisite in terms of area. If the enemy is exactly one area away from a French unit and is not pinned in melee combat, advance it to that area. This will trigger a shock check against the least-experienced French unit in the area.

Just remember that as you go through a battle plan, ignore the orders that can't be completed or whose prerequisites aren't met. In the example above, if the enemy unit assigned this battle plan was in an area that contained French units, the "1: Adv" order would not trigger (since you cannot advance through areas that contain opposing forces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
snorman wrote:
The poster above has the correct interpretation.

The first part of the order, "1: Adv" states a prerequisite in terms of area. If the enemy is exactly one area away from a French unit and is not pinned in melee combat, advance it to that area. This will trigger a shock check against the least-experienced French unit in the area.

Just remember that as you go through a battle plan, ignore the orders that can't be completed or whose prerequisites aren't met. In the example above, if the enemy unit assigned this battle plan was in an area that contained French units, the "1: Adv" order would not trigger (since you cannot advance through areas that contain opposing forces).

Thanks Sean.

I believe it would have been less confusing if the order was written;

Attack
Inf; Atk
Line

Flows smoother.
Points out that after the advance (and resultant French shock check) and the first "attack", IF the unit is an infantry unit they get another "attack".

Also...if the unit was already in an area that contained a French unit when it began it's turn, the assigned "Melee" battle plan would be automatically discarded in lieu of the "default" plan, wouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
CptWasp wrote:

Still not sure how this flows.

The chit reads;

Inf:Atk
Attack
Line.

I read this as;

1: Adv (IF the unit advances into an area with a French unit, the French unit has to make a shock check.)

Inf:Atk (An INFANTRY unit gets to make an attack (either a melee attack if the French force is in the same area or a non-melee attack if the French force is in an adjacent area)

Attack (An infantry unit gets to carry out ANOTHER attack. A cavalry unit gets to carry out an attack.)

Line. (Turn unit to line formation.)

Looks to me like an enemy infantry unit could potentially do 3 "attacks" (inflicting a shock check with the "1:Adv", followed by an attack with the "Inf:Atk" then a second attack with the final "Attack") while a cavalry unit would potentially get to perform 2 attacks (a shock check with the "1:Adv" and one attack with the final "Attack".)

Yes, you can do 3 attacks with infantry. What I stated is that you should attack in melee before targeting adjacent units; if you score 2 hits and the first kills the only melee unit available you can target an adjacent enemy with the second hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
CptWasp wrote:

Yes, you can do 3 attacks with infantry. What I stated is that you should attack in melee before targeting adjacent units; if you score 2 hits and the first kills the only melee unit available you can target an adjacent enemy with the second hit.

Yep. Thanks. That I knew. Just wasn't sure about the actual orders of the plan..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.