Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am teaching a friend how to play MK, which scenario should we do? He's not a casual gamer and I know the game rather well. Should I pick a co-op scenario? I've only played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not play First Reconnaissance? Barring that, I would vote for the Blitz Conquest. You can play a "friendly" competitive variant; no PvP and friendly source usage. It's not too slow and lets you help your friend with strategy. The only "competition" is the higher score at the end; i.e., you're not actively trying to screw each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:
Why not play First Reconnaissance? Barring that, I would vote for the Blitz Conquest. You can play a "friendly" competitive variant; no PvP and friendly source usage. It's not too slow and lets you help your friend with strategy. The only "competition" is the higher score at the end; i.e., you're not actively trying to screw each other.

Well It has been a while since I played so it would be a good refresher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Intro scenario (even for a seasoned gamer) is good as it gets the brain wrapped around all of the fiddly bits of MK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Always, always use First reconnaissance. And not just use it - go through the walkthrough, step by step, as you go.

MK is best learnt like this, rather than all the rules up front IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Always, always use First reconnaissance. And not just use it - go through the walkthrough, step by step, as you go.

MK is best learnt like this, rather than all the rules up front IMO.

Can the walkthrough be done co-op with two? Any alternations needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had great success having the new player play a solo conquest (with the cities turned down 1 and 2 clicks) while I act as a game-master, teaching the rules as I go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
I've had great success having the new player play a solo conquest (with the cities turned down 1 and 2 clicks) while I act as a game-master, teaching the rules as I go.

Can we both play together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play co-op. Just use the dummy player like you would for solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
You can play co-op. Just use the dummy player like you would for solo.

Any other changes? I think there see more mana dice in the pool right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, for every additional player there is an extra mana die and one more unit available every round. The skill leveling gets a little more complicated with multiple players, so I'd recommend reading over that part again before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend doing the First Reconnaissance then immediately another co-op scenario if possible. First Reconnaissance gives you a handle on the rules an and idea of gameplay. This really pays off in the 2nd game if you enjoy the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't even use the Dummy player. It's just a timer that stops you from dragging your feet, looking for the ideal hand. If it's a teaching game, move at whatever pace you like. Learn how to play the game, then learn how fast you have to play the game. Just my opinion though. I would make the first game all about the player mechanics and not worry about time constraints, active competition, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on playing the walkthrogh as a coop scenario without a dummy.

When I played the walkthrough the first time I was a bit disappointed because I leveled up and everything and was ready to fight and then someome revealed the city and it was over - very anticlimatic.
So I usually play until the city is conquered. I give the city level 2 or 3 - whatever is the lowest level where you are guaranteed to have 2 defenders. So I can teach combat against mutiple enemies or cooperative assault depending on how strong the newbie is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.