Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: barrier and tools...... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
2 characters at same location. One ecnounters slashing blade (barrier). It is alright for the other character to discard their thieves' tools, to disable the barrier. The item does not employ a check modifier and does not use the word 'your' in the card text, so it seems ok, right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are correct about the significance of the word "your", but the reason you cannot do this is because you can never resolve someone else's encounter for them. This means that you can't play a card that succeeds, defeats, acquires, or evades for someone else.

Some cards, such as potions and some spells, allow you to choose a character at your location (it can be yourself) to succeed or evade, and that's OK because you are choosing them and they are doing it; you are not doing it for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSouth is referring to this in the rulebook:

Rulebook v3 p22 wrote:
No One Else Can Take Your Turn for You. Whenever you encounter a card or make a check, you—and only you—must resolve it. No other character can evade it, defeat it, acquire it, close it, decide what to do with it, or fail at doing any of those things. ..If Amiri encounters a Battered Chest, Lini cannot use Thieves’ Tools against it. If the game tells you to do something, you have to do it.

Check out this guide for some examples about playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
What C.South says is correct. Other players may 'assist' you by playing a qualified card, and they may only attempt a 'check' if the 'owner' of the encounter, (you), has attempted one of the checks.

In this case, since there is only one check, you must attempt it, but anyone with you may play a qualified card to assist in the check's results.

Helpful rulebook references:

Page 11 under "Play Cards that Affect the Check" for qualifying cards played by you or others to assist in a check.

Page 10 under "Encountering a Card"...third paragraph down..."...Any character at that location can attempt one or more of the checks, as long as the character who encountered the bane attempts at least one of them...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
so with slashing blades barrier again....

2 characters at location, the 'encountering' character fails the check. Does that mean now the other character can now do an additional check to save them both?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately not. You only get one try (by the active character) so you take the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garvoid wrote:
so with slashing blades barrier again....

2 characters at location, the 'encountering' character fails the check. Does that mean now the other character can now do an additional check to save them both?

Thanks!

The character who encounters the card has to be the character who attempts to defeat or acquire the card. If, and only if, a card calls for two checks to defeat it separated by a THEN, the encountering character must attempt at least one of the two checks, but the other check may be attempted by another character at the same location if desired.

Rulebook v3 p11 wrote:
Only the character who encounters the card may attempt the check, with one exception: if a card requires sequential checks, the character who encountered the card must attempt at least one of the checks, but other checks may each be attempted by any one character at the same location.

The second character (the one whose turn it is NOT) has no way to encounter the Slashing Blade after the the first character fails to defeat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
The second character (the one whose turn it is NOT) has no way to encounter the Slashing Blade after the the first character fails to defeat it.

Think of it this way - a mage and rogue are exploring a dungeon -

Rogue: Don't touch anything until I take a look at it - I already disarmed one trap, there are probably more.
Mage: Will do! Well, this tome looks interesting - It won't hurt anything if I just take a peek...

Fireball trap goes off and rogue is caught in the blast

Rogue: Ouch... I told you not to touch anything, now we need to find a healer.
Mage: Oh, I thought I saw a potion of healing on that shelf up there, just let me reach up for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.