Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

No Thanks!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My, my, that escalated quickly: First-time players discovery strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game to play with our in-laws, because they love card games, and are generally suspicious of our new-fangled themed games. Today was our first day playing it, so it was new to all of us. The rules were easy, so the play itself was super easy. It was playing well that was a process.

In the first game, The In-Laws played it pretty vanilla, not taking any risks in terms of hoping for sequences, but still taking too many high cards. The Husband hit upon a wild scheme to collect all the 30's, and actually did so, so that worked well for him. I managed to make it out with only an 11/12 set, an 8, and an 18, but I still lost to Mr. All-the-Thirties by one point. Grrr.

In the second game, The Husband discovered that if he was the obvious person to pick up a high card, because he could make a sequence and no one else would want it, he should actually let it collect some chips before picking it up. A light went on in my mom-in-law's eyes. I don't want to say it was a demonic light, but she's pretty competitive, and, well, frankly, it was a demonic light. After that, things got a bit real. I sort of slunk into the background while there was a feeding frenzy over chips. My mom-in-law went a touch overboard, and ended up with 23 chips. She also ended up with 49 points, which did not win her the game. Drunk on her own desire for power. That's what it was.

We definitely enjoyed the game, and the In-Laws were asking where to buy it so they could take it to their senior club, so I guess it was a hit with them too. Next time, though, I think I might wear armor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Can't tell you how many times I have had a similar experience with new players. I love seeing that light come on during the first couple of games and the immediate desire to play again. The third game is always full of nastiness and evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks is a game where the light can come on, and you now understand, and you start playing worse. (It happened to me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.