Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played a couple of practice games of this using the TROO role cards in the mini-expansion and other miscellaneous bits, because she was scared of the ROOS cards. In any case, we found that the 2-player game is a lot more fun with these variant rules applied, and would plan to use them in a 3-player game as well:

*Use all role cards, not just the ones suggested in the rules.
*When choosing role cards, first reveal and set aside a card, as in the rules, then set aside another random card face-down. After each player chooses a role, set aside another random face-down role card before passing them to the next player.
*Each player still selects 1 role card at a time, but keep going clockwise around the table until each player has 2 roles total. Keep these in the order they were chosen. For the purposes of the other two phases of the round, each role card is considered a separate player (so they gain resources separately and can interact with each other when activating your role card). Role cards take turns in the order they were selected, so everybody's first choice goes, then everybody's second choice goes.
*When rolling for resources, you are allowed only one reroll, and if you choose to take it, you must reroll all dice; you can't set any aside first.
*Keep playing until six rounds total have taken place.

That's it! We found this to make the TROO bits version of the game a lot more fun; can't imagine how much better it will be with ROOS bits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Liu
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see some similarities here with two-player Citadels, and in fact the role selection I used was pretty much taken straight from Citadels. The removing a role in between each player is a new twist, though.

What's your reasoning on the single re-roll? Just speed up the game some? I do like the idea of re-roll all or nothing, but that's usually a penalty that somebody will use as an action card on another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhliu wrote:
I see some similarities here with two-player Citadels, and in fact the role selection I used was pretty much taken straight from Citadels. The removing a role in between each player is a new twist, though.

What's your reasoning on the single re-roll? Just speed up the game some? I do like the idea of re-roll all or nothing, but that's usually a penalty that somebody will use as an action card on another player.

Definitely inspired by Citadels! There just felt like not enough role card interaction in a 2-player game with 1 role card per player.

For the single re-roll, we were finding it too easy to get the exact resources we needed every time (of course, with ROOS bits this will probably happen anyway ). If I am understanding the rules correctly, resources that you do not score for points or discard because of your role card stay in play for the next round. With more unscored resources lying around between rounds because you aren't guaranteed what you need, there is more strategy in choosing roles and guessing what other players chose. E.g. if I have a lot of gullibility lying around, you can probably anticipate I won't choose the Emperor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Liu
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Byron: you're right; with ROOS dice you basically get to choose resources you want to take. However, that's where the ROOS role cards come in as well. If you see somebody take a pile of dignity and nothing else, then you can guess their role ... and then call that role BEFORE they do, forcing them to choose something else.

This is also the place where action cards come in. The question is: if you're allowed to make up pretty much any action card in the world, will you? So far nobody I've played with has played a card that says "I win the game." Or even "Take 12 gold." The natural balancing mechanic in this particular game is that if you play something really powerful, it opens the door for everyone else to do so as well. If, however, you play something that says "I get 3 gold but I have to give one to somebody else" then that sets the bar for the type of cards that people will play in the game.

For the roles and resource, though, I think of it as a bluffing game. If you're too obvious about the resources you're taking, then somebody else can claim the role you're aiming for (or a role that will interfere with you) before you get to score your points.

I hadn't played a lot of two-player Citadels, though, so it hadn't occurred to me to allow multiple roles per player. That could be an interesting twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.